German Shepherds Forum banner

Where to put the pup

817 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  cdwoodcox 
#1 ·
I currently have a 4yr old gs female. Her temperament is great leave her alone in house 8hrs a day no problems. I have someone come in at noon to let her out just so she does not have to hold her business the whole day. She also has the run of most of the house. The new pup is a male will be approx. 4 months old when I get him. The quedtion is do I crate him when I am gone or would on of those larger fence enclosures be better? Also where would you locate the crate in the main living room a bedroom door open so my older dog can interact with the pup or close the door so no unsupervised interaction. My current gs also has one favorite room she spends most of her alone time in sleep s most of the time. I could also put the crate in there if you think thst is the best place. How often should someone come in to let the pup go outside in an 8hr day? Thanks for your advise.

#2 ·
great questions.

I'd crate the pup but not isolate him. I guess it would depend on how your gal behaves as to which room to use. As far as how often they should go out, I'd say at least twice. Would you be able to take some vacation time and spend a week at home watching how the two get along, and establish a potty schedule for your new youngster?

#3 ·
I would crate him and if possible have someone in every two or three hours right now. I have two crates for Enya, one in the livingroom/kitchen area and one in my bedroom. If I'm busy and can't be watching her, then she's crated but can see and watch me. At night she's crated in my bedroom where again, she can see me. Put her where she can be in the room with your other shepherd. If the older one doesn't want to be with the pup, she has the option move to another room.

#4 ·
I am currently living this situation. We have a 4 1/2 female GSD and just got a male GSD pup 3 weeks ago (now 11 weeks old). He is crated (although I work from home so he isn't alone that often). My female is no longer crated, although she has a crate to go to if she wants. I think they like each other. Sometimes the play gets too rough ( a lot of the time actually). They are both rough with each other. I use baby gates to keep my female in a larger section of the house and the pup in the kitchen family room section when I feel they need to be separated. When I am gone for a couple hours I also keep the female in the larger section and the pup's crate is in the family room. I feel like my female would purposely annoy the pup by walking in front of the crate etc when I am not home. My advice would be to maybe have the pup somewhat separate from your females favorite place to go. Maybe see how they like each other first.

#6 ·
I crate all of my dogs. I didn't always crate them though. When I just had my gsd mix andy wife's toy poodle I just puppy proofed a room and put the gsd mix in there. Once I added another gsd I would let my then older gsd mix run half the house while the poodle ran upstairs. New puppy was locked in the room. When I got my youngest gsd I figured I better get these dogs in crates. It is so much easier and I honestly believe the dogs like having their own space. So if I were you I would either crate or puppy proof a room and put the pup in the room while you're gone. But I would also either crate the older gsd or let her have her own room during the day also. As far as potty. At 4 months old my puppy could hold himself until I got home. Usually 7-8 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.