German Shepherds Forum banner

Does my puppy weigh enough?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JunYue97 
#1 ·
Hello! My plush-coated white female Shepherd puppy, named Hunter, turned 5 months old this past Saturday (Sep 24). I weighed Hunter this morning and she is 37.6 pounds. She also measures about 21" at the withers. I believe her height is fine.. she's all legs haha! It's just her weight that's a little concerning.. she's always been a little lighter than the average female GSD at her age. She's not too skinny.. you can feel her ribs, but they're not protruding at all. Her vet says she looks excellent and is ideal as well. Her father weighs in at 110, dam 75. She eats the Wellness Large Breed Complete Health food. She scarfs down her food and water extremely fast though. Her energy level is fine, but she is on the calmer side as I had wanted a mellow puppy.

So, do you think she's doing alright and I'm just being an over-worried dog mom? Haha let me know! Thanks in advanced for any and all responses! :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
this was my question as well, as my pup just turned 6 months- but unlike yours, she does not scarf down the food at all. currently i am lucky if she eats 2-3 cups a day of her taste of the wild puppy pacific stream.. i can't see her ribs, but can feel them when i try to.

she was 32.5 @ 13 weeks old have not weighed her lately. do they eat differently according to growth spurts or should i change food?
i changed from bb wilderness lbp because her stools were always soft and she was itching. she wasn't eating all that much of that either.

now stools are formed and not itching as much, but still worried she doesn't eat enough.

what say you?

Attachments

#6 ·
the amount on the bag is simply a starting point. Some dogs will need more and others less. In some cases, the differences can be astounding. Dogs that have high metabolism or are active will likely need more. Dogs with a slower metabolism or who are more sedentary will usually need less

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.