German Shepherds Forum banner

How do you handle your pups waste?

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  islanddog 
#1 ·
When I was a kid we had a huge yard abutting woods so we just tossed the dogs waste in a deep hole on the other side of our fenced in yard. Now I have a small but ample yard and he uses a section of it to do his business and I've been picking it up 1-2x daily with those bio-gradable doggy bags, and tossing them in my trash barrel out in the garage. It's been fine up until recently where it has been really hot, today I noticed after the trash was taken some maggots crawling around the bottom of the barrel... hard to say if it was from some old meat that got tossed out or those bio-poop bags, but either way *GAG*.

There has to be some other way to manage the ever replenishing mountain of poop my dog lets out. We still eat 3x a day here so it's pretty significant. I've been thinking of creating a dog run with wood chips and making an in-ground septic system where I can dump his waste in to limit where he goes and where it goes after, I don't want my garage or yard smelling like dog poop. What do you do?

#5 ·
I have 8 dogs that are raw fed. They poop once a day if that, it's small poop, and the poop disintegrates. I just picked poop up for the first time in a month and it was not even one pooper scooper full, most of that was cedar clippings from the dog run. I can't believe how minimal the poop is.

Before switching their diet I had purchased a metal garbage container and put a black bag in that, once a week I would toss it into the trash. No maggots. I kept the flies away.

#8 ·
I can relate to this. I don't think my neighbors pick up at all. I park my work van right beside our adjoining fence. If I have to spend more than a minute or two in my van. I usually move my van elsewhere. AWAY FROM THE FENCE.

#12 ·
I had a house that had a doggie doolie installed. It was disgusting. Whenever you opened it up to make a deposit, the stench was overwhelming. Way, way worse than the trash can -- I can throw baking soda and borax in the trash can, and the smell is gone, but that doolie was just gross.

#17 ·
I have an acre of land, but still grab a bag when we head outside. I always pick up right then and toss the bag in the outside trash. I will say it's a little stinky, but then I clean a litterbox as well.

That's the bad thing about being in the country. The company provides a can but it's the huge ones that you roll out. Not really a way to line a can that size to cut down on spillage or seepage.

#18 ·
With a bag--I have no fenced yard, so everything happens on walks. Leashed walks, I pick up. Unless it's lost inside a two foot thicket of weeds--I mean I'll only stand there searching for lost poop for so long before I give up and move on.
In the woods (off-leash walks), nope. Rules are (I love the wording) PLEASE KEEP DOG WASTE OFF THE TRAILS. No probs, if I must, to comply, I'll play hockey...
The baggies go into the municipal compost/green bin.

#19 ·
I pick up regularly! Had a bad experience with seeing RATS in the yard and once on the porch. When exterminators came they said the rats love a
yard with dog poop (this is a residential suburban neighborhood). If I had been a bit lazy and haphazard up to then, no longer! I get it right away into a poop bag and then into the Arm & Hammer
diaper pail (got the rec for that on this site:) which has an inner bag and a container of baking soda in the top.

#21 ·
DON'T LAUGH but we used to have a Diaper Genie. It worked.

Unfortunately it broke and I couldn't jam the pieces back together, so now we just double bag, but the Diaper Genie really controlled the odor. I would just pull out the week's poo the night before trash day and put it in our regular bin.

#22 ·
in all seriousness, I should mention, back when I had the very same small yard, but a concrete section fenced off, and two gsd's, we just left straw, & garden clippings in one corner, sort of a leafy thin compost pile (no veggies or kitchen scraps, just green leafy things) & the dogs occassionally used this corner (given the size of our yard, they were still getting 3 walks a day, so most of their business happened on walks).
We did not have to pick up regularly, especially in summer; things just dissappeared, odor free, and mostly out of sight--so mostly it was a once or twice a week job--we had a little plastic toy shovel--fun. (I have trouble being serious on this topic, but I tried...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.