German Shepherds Forum banner

what are your favorite toys?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Kdre28 
#1 ·
Just curious here..
I have purchased many toys for my 5yr old GSD mix, and he LOVES anything with a squeaker..I personally stay away from stuffed toys as he just rips them to shreds to get the squeaker. Then, about a month ago I realized he swallowed a squeaker (thankfully, came up on it's own) but now I will not buy anything with a squeaker for him or the new puppy.

That being said, I would love some new 'safe' for my house ideas =)
I always have an antler/buffalo horn around as well.

#5 ·
perhaps look into Cuz balls by JW. they're fairly durable, they squeak, my dogs love them and have yet to be able (nor have they really tried) to remove the squeaker from them. by design, they're quite different than the loose plastic bubble squeaker in other toys - it's more of a controlled airway that creates the noise.

#8 ·
Xuri is a ball fanatic. Tennis balls and chuckit balls are our favorites. Frisbees are another hit here, as are tug toys that have some sort of 'fur' to grab onto, whether it is real or faux. I don't usually leave toys out for her to play with unsupervised, although she will occasionally find a ball who-knows-where and gnaw on it. The tennis balls end up destroyed, but she has yet to put a dent in a chuckit! Those things are hardy. For chewing, I like to have a variety of bones available, and sometimes if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll fill up a Kong and freeze the contents overnight- that usually occupies her for a while.

#9 ·
Finn loves ones that squeak, of course, and his hard rubber ball with a rope look handle. Works for tugging and retrieve and I can heave it pretty far too. Also has a bite suit tug he really likes, but doesn't get that on his own. Most of his toys are ones we play with together vs him playing alone with it. He isn't all that picky about toys, he'll play with anything, but has a few special ones that really turn him on.

#11 ·
After reading that people here had adult dogs that choked on tennis balls, I took away all of ours and any balls tennis ball size. There are some good rope toys that you can throw for them. Chuckit makes one out of two balls with a rope in the middle. Wubbas are good, too, because there are long string you can pull if a ball gets stuck. They have larger size balls that can't get stuck.

I read the reviews of every dog toy mentioned here on Amazon, and in every case, there are negative reviews by people whose dogs got hurt or who destroyed a toy. I have to stop reading reviews or I would take away every toy and not let them play with any of them.

I recommend you also decide which toys are only used with supervision, like the Buster Cube, which can shatter and has sharp pieces inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.