German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate training

579 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ripley2016 
#1 ·
How do I get my 7 week old puppy to like his crate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Feed all his meals in the crate. Use the command you will want to use for crating. Something like "house", Kennel up!" (I'm boring, I just use "get in your crate").

When meal time comes around, act all excited, to get your pup all excited about imminent food coming and run/dance/skip/do back flips to the crate so dog runs along with you (gets the dog used to running to the crate on command), and put the bowl in the crate.

For the first few days, don't close the crate door, pup can eat, and come out when ready. then start closing the crate door just for the interval it takes for the pup to eat. Then start keeping the crate door closed for a bit longer, so pup gets used to having to wait for the door to open. Never let your puppy out when he is whining or fussing. Wait for a quiet break and open the door, be quick! don't miss your chance!

Randomly during the day, throw treats into the crate - puppy will be checking the crate out on his own, looking for treats.

#4 ·
Yes. This, exactly.

I just crate trained and I did all these things.

I have two crates, one that's a big wire one right next to my bed where the puppy can see me (she sleeps there at night and it was the first crate she "liked." The second one is a soft crate in the kitchen I used for keeping her in the kitchen with me if I was cooking and couldn't watch her but wanted her to be with me. I also use it for transport in the back of my SUV. For some reason it took her a lot longer to get used to that one. But just keep doing what Castlemaid said and be patient. It takes a little time. I would also say to keep the duration of time in the crate really short. Build up to a longer stay in there. Start with 5 or 10 minutes and work your way up, if you can.

#3 ·
There is a great DVD out there called Crate Games. It's about $35.

I fed my puppy in his crate. I used to make a game of tossing treats into it and then call him back out so it was FUN to go in this crate. Give him chew bones in the crate.

All good things happen in the crate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.