German Shepherds Forum banner

Questions!!!!

836 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  FarNorthTess 
#1 ·
My puppy will be 9 weeks old in a couple days, he's growing so much! We had small bowls on the floor for him, but as he grew he started to pick up the full water bowl and tip it over to spill all of the water out of it! We changed his bowls to 2 bigger stainless steel bowls in a stand, that stands about a foot off of the ground, he's now sticking his paws inside the bowl and flipping it over while its full. What can I do to stop him?

#2 ·
My Dobe puppy used to dump her water bowl, and I finally got a large, very heavy crock bowl for her. She would stand on the edge of her regular bowl and push to flip it, but she wasn't able to do that with the crock.

My GSDs have always had a stainless water bowl that has a wide base, and a narrower opening. They haven't ever been able to tip it, though Sage went through a period when she would take her foot and drag it into the living room. I've also used stainless buckets clipped to their crates.

#4 ·
'till you get a bigger heavier bowl you should just limit water for a 9 week old. put water down multiple times a day and pick it up when they stop drinking and don't give them any near bedtime. they flip the bowl when they are done drinking and want to play with it and should be restricted water just before going in the crate at night. although a 9 week old should still be getting nightly take outs the water restriction helps some with potty training.

#5 ·
Finn use to play with his water bowl. I ended up giving him only what he would drink right at that moment, and used a no tip bowl. Fortunately he outgrew it and doesn't play in the water bowl anymore. Though if I try to be nice and put ice cubes in it he will take them all out and play with them. I didn't really worry at the time, he was just being a curious puppy and interacting with his environment.

#6 ·
you have some good advice here. it reminds me of when my boy was a small pup. He never tipped one over indoors but he loved to flip his stainless tip-resistant bowl over out in the yard. Not only was it exciting to watch it flip and roll and flash in the sun but it made such a wonderful loud echo when he barked at it. Even though it was hot outside, playing with it was more attractive than having water. When he got bigger he decided cheap plastic wading pools were for flipping. Flipping water bowls was for babies.

#7 ·
Mine is an adult and still thinks flipping a water bowl over is fun. To be fair, she just drinks from a metal pail clipped to the side of her crate with a carabiner and has since she came home. It seemed easier. She likes the pail. The only time she runs across a water bowl is when it's a public bowl outside.

#8 ·
thank you all so much for the great advice!

I pick up his food and water about an hour before we go to bed, and hes waking up less frequently to go outside during the night (only about once now!)

I'll invest in some non-tip bowls, hopefully these will help, ive noticed that if he cant tip them over with his paw, he tries to pick them up with his mouth, he's definitely a handful, but i wouldnt trade it for the world <3

#9 ·
I love Ceramic bowls. I usually buy the biggest one I can get (they are super heavy). If you look around, they often come to a Winners, Marshalls or a Home Sense type of a store for 5 dollars. Much cheaper than a pet store. I have three of these- two outside and one inside. They last forever. One bowl I have is almost 20 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.