German Shepherds Forum banner

How do you guys get the dog smell out of your yard?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  car2ner 
#1 ·
Any products out there to get the dog smell out of the yard? She very rarely pees or poops in the yard but I have noticed a slight dog smell. I lit one of those mosquito torches, but once it dies, the smell comes back. It's very slight.

#2 ·
I have some clusters of lemon balm planted in areas that the dogs frequently run through. When the leaves are crushed, it emits a faint (pleasant) scent.

You can gather and cut bunches for a vase in the house if you like the fragrance, too.... it grows quickly and rebounds from being trampled regularly by the dogs. It's an ingredient in quite a few herbal mosquito repellent recipes as well, so that is an added bonus.

#3 ·
I have a big yard but the fenced area where the dogs do their business is very small. I have three large dogs and they do 99% of their business inside the fence. If I notice a poop smell (which is what I assume you mean by 'dog smell'), I check my shoes. :)

Really, if they have overly smelly poop and you notice the smell even after cleaning it up right away, maybe it's something in their diet? I also use a trowel to clean up the poop, rather than a plastic baggie /glove which tends to smush the poop into the ground - ewww.

#4 ·
I use a metal pooper scooper and keep a bucket of bleach solution by the poop bin to either dip or soak it in depending on how dirty it is.

I have 3 dogs, 2 GSDs and I board dogs so sometimes there are quite a few and my yard sees a lot of traffic. I do have it seperated into parts and try to rest the front as much as I can so I keep grass and not just pee spots everywhere. But even with all that, I don't really notice the yard smelling like dog? Maybe I just can't smell dog anymore lol. I did recently come in the house and think it smelled vaguely like dog which warranted a whole house scrubbing with nature's miracle. (Not a potty smell, just that dog smell), I sometimes mist the rugs with nature's miracle when they havent been pottied on just to keep them fresh.

I don't allow non housebroken dogs upstairs either though. The only one who has pottied up here was my puppy while he was learning.

#5 ·
There are a variety of methods.

You can spread some lime in the area and water it in, but don't wash away. Odoban, Nature's Miracle, or similar products, used in either a hose sprayer or a portable one is good. Mixing a good amount of vinegar and water and applying will do a good job too. Some people just simply remove the poop and water the pee area down.

#9 ·
I always pooper-scooped the yard daily when we had as many as 10 dogs. The yard reeked of urine smell, so we bought this product at Petsmart that you screw onto your hose. Then you spray the yard. I cannot remember the name of It! But go to Pet Smart and PetCo and ask about it. We also limed the yard quarterly.

#10 ·
Sometimes the rain and humidity bring it out. I hose down any pee on the brick. The poop don't smell because of their diet and there is next to none of it. That is the biggest benefit for me. Most of the time it just disintegrates.

I also have cedar mulch in somd areas and cedar shavings in the dog run. It smells good and keeps bugs say too.

#11 ·
good advice for a yard. How about cars. it isn't pee or pooh, just lots of hair and body oils and hot breath. I have car seat covers and even after a good sweeping and vac it still smells like dog. I think it always will.

Have any of you used the products that are supposed to help keep the grass from getting killed by pee? I'd rather have dead grass than sick dogs but if it works with no harm, I might try it next summer. I wonder if it would help with urine smell, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.