German Shepherds Forum banner

Independent WL puppy

3K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
My WGWL puppy is 4 months old and he is a dream to work with. He is what I consider a medium energy dog with high drive. In other words: he has an off switch which makes him a great family dog.
Since he is my first WL GSD I was wondering if other people also find the WL dogs to be rather independent.
He gets very excited to see me when I come home everyday but after the novelty wears off he would happily wander off and do his own thing. He is very focused in training, his retrieve is coming on nicely, he comes when called and I am currently working on engagement exercises as well as a bit of focused heeling.
It is just that I don't find him to be as "clingy" as a lot of other dogs. When he lies down to take a nap he prefers to lie in the corner of the room instead of right next to me. Despite his seemingly aloof disposition we still have a great bond.
Is it this a common WL trait or the fact that he was the most dominant puppy in the litter?

#2 ·
Sometimes that changes as they mature, sometimes that's just their particular personality. Mine was very independent, didn't solicit attention until he was at LEAST 8 months old, maybe older (and that was just to get a butt scritch).

I will say that he's still independent, still not praise motivated for the most part, and even moves away from pats if he's wanting to play ball (serious business). Disappointing in a way for me, because I love giving affection, which my other dogs enjoyed and sought out. It's just ... him.

#3 ·
He sounds similar to our youngest when she was young. Now I have to step over her when getting up from a chair, or getting out off bed. She can't get close enough.

Reactions: maxtmill
#4 ·
Same here.

I devastated for 3 days when we got our first GSD and she wouldn't come for cuddles or lay by me. :crying: You eventually get use to it because they are such fantastic dogs!

We went from clingy dobermans to an independent pup/dog who only wanted 10 seconds of body contact when SHE wanted it!
We called her "Sharkey" b/c she'd pick up anything that would fit in her mouth, even canned goods, and would pass by us several times while we ran our hands over her back, then go lay down! But our bond was extremely strong.
I've had 2 GSD's after that, that were the same.
Our 4th was completely different!

Moms:)

#5 · (Edited)
I've got a cuddlebug.

He often chooses to be elsewhere in the house. And his sleeping areas in the rooms are based on proximity to the AC vents and not me. He's snoozing in another room as we speak, but a few times a day he needs to have cuddle time.

Unfortunately he isn't content with just, ya know, being on the couch next to me getting a snuggle. His cuddles mean that he has to have as much of his body in contact with yours as possible. Usually I'll lay on the couch, and he'll lay on top of me. On his back. Shoulders nestled in the crook of my arm. My arm around him giving belly scratches. His neck Streeetched out and his head pressed right up against my face. I've had to learn to watch TV with a big black muzzle blocking half the screen. He also likes when I lay on my stomach to curl up on my back and he is constantly resting his head on my shoulder. If I'm sitting or standing up he leans his back up against my legs and falls back into me, so I have to support his weight. Oh and not to forget he is convinced he is a lap dog as well...

My profile pic was him laying on my tummy at around 4 - 5 months old. I created this monster I am sure.

Yeah. I'm a bit jealous of your more independent pups LOL

#6 · (Edited)
Our first German shepherd was wl not much of a cuddle bug but we also got him when he was 2 years old, so I'm not sure how he was raised. He did soften up much as he got older. He was a very serious dog but underneath there was still a baby pup in there and it came out more as he aged. At the time our house was small so our living room and dining room wAs all open and same. So he would be always in the same room we were. At night though he always wanted to sleep in the spare room. I had tried to get him to come sleep our bed but he was always like no thanks. I can see why now as there was never much room in there. In the spare room we had a bed in there and he would always sleep in that bed and only at night. When I became pregnant that spare room where our Karat slept at night became our daughters room- poor guy. I remember when I had the baby shower and we put all our presents and things for our baby in the spare/now babies room our shepherd was literally hopping up and down thinking all those presents were for him. I can still remember the look of bliss on his face and that was over 13 years ago. I know he was very disappointed but he took all those changes so very well. He always loved all his toys and had plenty.

#7 ·
I have some that want attention when THEY want it, but aren't into cuddling. Then I have my guys that love lying next to me or on me.

#8 ·
Halo is a WGWL dog, and she is very affectionate but not at all clingy. She'll often go nap in another room, unlike Keefer (WGSL), who is pretty much up my butt all the time, lol. She was more independent as a young pup, but as she matured the bond grew. She likes to snuggle on the couch with us, and can be very kissy with us and people that she likes.

She has always been more of a daddy's girl, but when I started flyball with her things changed a lot. I was no longer just the one who fed, trained, and groomed her, we had a fun activity to enjoy together and sometimes we're out of town together all weekend, just the two of us in a hotel room. Now I think she likes me *almost* as much as my husband. :rofl:

Reactions: Dunkirk
#9 ·
This is so strange to me, because I have been around shepherds all my life.
Also my dog was a LA police narcotics dog. I have never experienced this.
So I bought 2 more puppies (gsd) a year ago. The male acts great, super playful, wet kisses, wonders where I am. (You know cause us humans could not make it without them).
His sister on the other hand, makes no eye contact, could care less if I was on fire.
She will only look at my hands (for food) she is very smart. She learned faster than any shepherd what signs I make either sit, stay, down, to get a treat.
She shows no interest in me whatsoever, I am the only one here.
If. Stranger came busting through the door she would not even bark.
The other dogs will bark and such. She just looks at the strangers hands for food.
I love her to peices but I get no cuddles from her! :(
Any idea why?

#11 ·
Finn was not a super affectionate puppy, as in demanding attention a lot, but as he has matured he will seek it out more often. But only when was are hanging out and in the morning. Every morning he has to get his belly rubbed as if we have not been sleeping in the same room all night, goofball. If we are playing or training he's not as into it, he wants the toy or to get back to work. I would consider him more independent in that he doesn't really need a lot of affection, but he will ask for it with out being annoying about it. He does follow me all over the house, but mostly just waiting for me to go out and play. Sometimes it is a bit much when I turn around and both dogs and the cat are trailing after me, lol.

#12 ·
My first shepherd was friendly and social, but not clingy.He loved all the neighborhood kids and was even the honorary mascot at the volunteer fire department. My second shepherd was aloof with most people, but rather clingy to me - which I loved! I like a shepherd that is my own special partner. They are all different, though!

#13 ·
Fama keeps me in sight. She comes in for 10 seconds of loving and then she's off doing her own thing. She follows me around the house / neighborhood / bar without fail, but she's just not an in your face snugly dog.

#14 ·
None of my GSDs have been particularly clingy, WL, SL, BYB, I've had them all. My current WL male is, by far the most affectionate of the lot. He does like to curl up right next to you on the sofa.

My imported WL girl was affectionate with any and all strangers she could get to. I was at the vets with her right after she'd flown in, I was standing at the counter, talking to the staff, turned to see what my new dog was doing--she was in some guy's lap!

She had a way of quietly *appearing* in whatever room I was in, including the bathroom.

I sure miss her. Lost her at age 12 to kidney failure a couple of years ago.

#15 ·
My dutch is like this. He is very confident independent dog. As a puppy he was sort of a nightmare and I had to work extraordinarily hard to develop a bond. I really did not experience a deepening bond until he was 8 months old with the help of a trainer that really understands the mal/dutchie. Then things started to change. Now he and I are a team. He always has an energy tether to me, knows exactly what is going on... cuddles for short periods when he is tired or being a goofball. Our working line GSD is a love, she is independent but more because she had to be as a stray but once inside the house she will be just under foot and preferably on top of you especially if you are on the couch.

The bond will continue to develop keep working him.

#16 ·
Neither of my shepherds are ever very far from me. My WL male is much more affectionate. He'll climb up me to hug me. Will push at me for attention. Loves most people. My girl, shelter baby so unknown heritage, wants to be near me but not on me. Usually at my feet. Fairly aloof with strangers. But neither are clingy. They come for attention and then go lay down, usually within 10' of me. When I think of "Velcro", I think of Dobermans. You haven't experienced velcro till you've had one of those!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.