German Shepherds Forum banner

Having trouble with my new puppy and my dog !!

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  danSammy 
#1 ·
Hey guys i just joined this forum yesterday . My gsd Sam is 1 year 4 months old .
I got another puppy from my friend 5 days ago , pups around 5-6 weeks , not a gsd hes a rottweiler.

When i introduced him to my Sam (my gsd) he was a little curious but after few mins he starting avoiding him . Sometimes backs off immediately when pup goes near him, I'm not sure if hes afraid of the little pup or ignoring him , when the puppy goes close to him he stands up and walks away ( goes in other room mostly )
And Sams been a little dull since we got the pup , not sure if dulls the right word , hes in full energy in morning when we go for walk and when i play with him in home or when someone comes at the door but rest of the time hes not doing much like he used to .
Im playing and giving attention to sam more in front of the pup so he doesnt think that i dont like him anymore coz i got a new puppy. I need some advice on how to make them both friends .

I haven't named the puppy yet i was thinking to name him Tyson , Gimme some gud names for him plz.

And one more thing rott pup got a little cold and i took him to vet , gave me 2 syrups for that. But today i noticed Sams got a little cold too now, his nose was getting wet , Did he got it from the puppy ?

Thank you for your time and help in adv !!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi dan,
Can you go into your profile and put a general location? It doesn't sound like you are from North America, and it helps people know that so that the advice they offer is more specific to your situation. A few clues is that you got your puppy so young, and you mentioned "syrup" for medicaton. :)

5-6 week old is really really young for a puppy to be away from the litter. At one time it was believed that this was the ideal age for a puppy to join their new family for bonding, but now the research shows that pups should stay with their litters for a minimum of 8 weeks. This time is important for the puppy's social development to learn bite-inhibition and dog-language. Often puppies that have left the litter before this time never learn how to interact and communicate with other dogs.

Some adult dogs are not comfortable with puppies, while others are natural dog-sitters, role-models, and playmates. :) It might take your older dog some time to get used to the puppy, so give him time. Don't force interaction, and make sure Sam doesn't feel left out or neglected. Give him lots of space and time away from the puppy - and slowly, as he becomes more accepting of the little one, you can increase the time they spend together.

The cold in the puppy and now with Sam is worrisome. It could be Distemper:Dog Owner's guide: Puppy viruses

Is Sam vaccinated against Distemper? I'd take the puppy back to the vet and have them rule out distemper, it is a very serious disease.

I love the name Tyson - perfect for a Rottweiler!

#6 ·
Yeah im not from North America, im from India , sorry about that .
Thanks for the help castlemaid , i'll give Sam some space and time to get used to the puppy .
I am going to the vet tomorrow ,hoping its not anything serious .
And yeah Sam's properly vaccinated .
I don't know if its distemper , symptoms are not the same . Pups just having his nose flooding all the time , coughing sometimes like somethings stuck in his throat (cough has gone better now) ,no vomits or diarrhea , hes playful and active and no loss of appetite (he eats like its the last time im gonna give him food) , will update about fever tomorrow .
I love the name Tyson too but my sister don't like that name :( she wants a cute name for him , so wer still fighting for a name .

#9 ·
Yeah sam's doing better with puppy now .First both sleeps in the same room now , second now he plays with puppy sometimes like runs around him , gives his ball to him but only for a sec then suddenly takes the ball from him and runs lol and repeats it .

But he still avoids pups face sometimes, maybe coz pup bites a little ..that will also get better with time i guess .
Any advice to stop puppy's biting , he sneaks back behind sam and bites his tail hair, bites my hand sometimes too.
You were right pup should stay 8 weeks with his litter to learn this stuff .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#10 ·
For now you'll have to intervene and stop the pup from harrassing Sam when he over does it. Usually, older dogs recognize that puppies are babies, and are very patient with them - we call t his the puppy pass. Older dogs put up with a lot from puppies, because, well, they are puppies who don't know any better. Usually, when a pup reaches around five or six months old, they lose their puppy pass and older dogs will start to correct them and expect the younger dog to respect them.

So for now, you'll be helping your pup to learn what is appropriate by stopping inappropriate play. When things get rough, or you can see that Sam has had enough, physically remove your pup and crate him a bit, or keep him separated in other ways.

#11 ·
ok castlemaid ty , I'll work on that !!
And just got back from vet , got report of Tyson's nose sample they took , something E.coli don't know much about that infection (exploring on google) , Vet says hes gonna be fine . I'll upload a pic of report too so you guys can see .

And a pic of Sam and Tyson
Tyson was attacking sam's bone so he moved up on couch (sofa) out of his reach

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.