German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy Coloring- Sable

10K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  k9trainersj 
#1 ·
Hello, let me first say that I am very new to this page. Any advice you guys have for me to utilize this page is appreciated.

I know people likely ask about their puppy and coloring and I just got an 11 week old Male Shepherd puppy. The mom is solid black and dad is a sable. I am wondering if any of you guys have a guess to what coloring you think he will mature to? I understand sables can be a unpredictable but thought I could see what you guys thoughts are. His pedigree all shows dogs will good elbow and hip ratings and the parents had great temperaments. Very friendly and social but also confident too.

I appreciate your input.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice. Out of curiosity, is Fero in his bloodlines? Just wondering because of the white rear toes. I just placed a female pup almost identical to him. Will mature to a nice dark sable.

#13 ·
He looks like he will be dark sable. The dark stripe down the front legs and dark markings on his toes-pencil markings and with tar heals dark markings on bottom of his feet. The dark chest and very dark strip almost black under is chest and belly area I think he may be a dark sable. My boy had a pattern sable dad and bicolor mom. The. pups that were the litter were black/tan, pattern sable and dark sables. He looks like he is in the light phase now. Gorgeous pup!!!!!

#15 ·
Thank you everyone for your input and compliments. I am attaching pictures of him at about a week old and of his grandsire. Though I don't think he'll be quite that dark it shows that he has really dark in his genes. I'm excited to see how he turns out and love to hear everyone's opinions.

If anyone wants to share pictures of their Sables from puppy to adult I would love to see them.

Attachments

#16 ·
Beautiful dogs yeah it looks like he will be dark. Sables are tons of fun as they change with the seasons max gets darker in the winter and his tans turn to red in the spring he seems to be always changing. Some pictures of max and his color changes.

Attachments

#28 ·
Hey all,

Can anyone provide me with some information regarding sable coat progression? I know that sables tend to go light when they lose their puppy coat, and then they go dark again as they regain their adult coat, but at what age (in weeks) does all of this occur?

Thanks!

#29 · (Edited)
All I can say is based on my dog Max is he went through light stage around 9-12 weeks approx. after that he continued to get darker. Max got a lighter when he blew his coat -sheds profusely-and first time was 6 months old -mid spring then gradually darkens back up.

Mid spring is when Max blows his coat- sheds profusely -and then very gradually darkens up is when I notice a slight change - abit lighter. So it is seasonal.In the winter Max is his darkest and lightest late spring. Winter/spring is when I notice the slight change.

I know some say it can take two to three years for them to show their true color. Sables get darker as they age. For us and can be different per indvidual dog I haven't noticed big changes since 1 year old- only seasonal. He is not quite 2 yet so we will see. I notice certain amount of light can fluctuate his color drastically in a photo or just looking at him. He can look a half shade lighter from early day to early evening or from inside to outside. There is much good info on this forum about sable color changes though is where I learned much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.