Problem with pup going nuts inside the house. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Problem with pup going nuts inside the house.

My pup loves to play inside the house, jumps all over the couches, she sees it as a playpen obstacle course. I dont want to crate her 24/7, I take her outside a lot and play with her a lot but she still has so much energy. I tried leashing her but she fights the leash, scratches up the floors while "treadmilling" in place. Should I be a little bit more stern with her, like give some hard leash pops? Need a way to stop this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Master Member

We have a speed limit in my house....no running or roughousing in the house. Thats outdoor behavior.

#1 Does she have a safe place to do zoomies outside? If so try to figure out her schedule and get her outside for zoomies before she tries to do it indoors. Much easier to lay down the law at that point otherwise fighting an uphill battle

#2 you have to be more persistent than your pup. Not necessarily more harsh than you have been....just more persistent, dogs are experts at holding out for the one last moment that wears the human down.

If you allow roughhousing indoors it will become a habit, more times she practices the harder to break. If you require calm in the house that will become a habit.

Other thoughts would be start her with a kong or bully stick to help her settle, get her one of those treat dispensing wobble balls. Those were a life saver when mine was young. He went in the x pen every morning and smashed around with it and was so satisfied. Starmark is good. Kong one is machine washable but doesn't seem to last as long.

That's all I can think of at the moment...hope any of it is helpful
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Master Member

Also is she getting good mental stimulation ...teaching....engagement behavior with you? When you start to really train you have a language to communicate with the dog. And a way to let her know how you do and don't want her to act in the house, plus thinking wears out little brains and then they want a nap.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I've never allowed rough play in the house - with a puppy, it's playing outside, me interacting with calmer games in the house, keeping them busy with peanut butter kongs or bones to chew on, or crated if I don't have time to supervise or play with the pup. Leaving them to their own devices is 100% guaranteed to create a pup that does not know how to focus energy, chill in the house, or associate proper behaviours in different settings.

Does this mean that your life revolves around your pup? Yes, it does. Plan your days around the puppy's needs, set up a schedule, teach them there is a time to play, and a time to relax.
Gunny likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

A huge problem is my family lets her play around the house. They dont get it. No matter how much I yell at them and explain to them that by teaching her its ok to play in the house, will create a huge problem when shes 80lbs, they still do it. Throwing a ball on the couch and stuff like that. My family spoils the dog, countering all the hard work I put in.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Easy peasy: Crate the dog when YOU can't be directly involved with working/playing with your pup. YOUR pup, YOUR responsibility.

Does this mean that your whole day will revolve around meeting your pup's needs? Yup! It does, but either that, or you lose control, and you blame everyone else for the loss of control.

We can't tell your family how to act, how to behave. Ane yelling isn't going to work, not in raising a pup, not in changing people's behaviour. YOU have to change your actions and behaviours to take control without being a yelling maniac to make this happen.

We talk a lot about managing a puppy to set them up to succeed. How can you mange your family to set them up to succeed with your puppy? (how old are you? trying to get an idea of the family dynamics going on).

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Easy peasy: Crate the dog when YOU can't be directly involved with working/playing with your pup. YOUR pup, YOUR responsibility.

Does this mean that your whole day will revolve around meeting your pup's needs? Yup! It does, but either that, or you lose control, and you blame everyone else for the loss of control.

We can't tell your family how to act, how to behave. Ane yelling isn't going to work, not in raising a pup, not in changing people's behaviour. YOU have to change your actions and behaviours to take control without being a yelling maniac to make this happen.

We talk a lot about managing a puppy to set them up to succeed. How can you mange your family to set them up to succeed with your puppy? (how old are you? trying to get an idea of the family dynamics going on).
A grown man with my own kids. The kids want to play with the dog, understandably. The pup gets excited, understandably. I just want to know some ways of correcting the pup, and how to teach her to lay down for more than 5 seconds in the living room.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:09 PM

This is a very common problem with puppies and their bursts of energy. With ours we started with a "Indoor Voices" command, this was the warning that it was escalating too much and needed to stop. We then would employ a "down - stay" command to focus the puppy and enforce the "Indoor Voices" command if not heeded (for a puppy the down-stay does not need to be too long, just make it effective). Always we made sure to reward the down-stay or indoor voices commands when followed to make it fun for puppy. Then we would take them out side for puppy sprints allowing them to burn off that energy. Now when they start playing in the house and I say "Indoor Voices", all three just lay down and look for praise from us.

Good Luck,

KAVAI VOM HUFEISENBERG
ROCCO HEIDELBERGER-SCHLOSS
BEYA VOM WIEZENLAND
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Set rules, enforce them. Show the behaviour expected and reward - works for both kids and pups.

How old is the pup? You may be expecting too much from your puppy.
Strikker likes this.

Lucia

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgsd View Post
A grown man with my own kids. The kids want to play with the dog, understandably. The pup gets excited, understandably. I just want to know some ways of correcting the pup, and how to teach her to lay down for more than 5 seconds in the living room.
No correcting You can't correct something the puppy doesn't understand. I would teach your pup to go to a bed or a place and give them a chew or bone to keep them busy.

Teach your kids to not rile the puppy up inside. You can't correct the puppy for being excited and rough housing when the kids got the dog excited by encouraging it.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page