German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate for puppy

688 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Honeybee1999 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I've posted here, although I often lurk. We made the plunge and put a deposit down on a beautiful male GSD puppy that we will be bringing home in about 12 days. Our girl, Iris, is 10, so it has been a long time since we have had a puppy in the house.

I am getting supplies for the little guy ready, but was wondering about the crate. We have a large one for Iris that she has not used in years. It has a divider so I can make it smaller for the puppy and adjust as he grows. My question is would using the crate for the puppy likely cause jealousy with Iris? She was never particularly fond of her crate and wouldn't normally choose to go in it and sleep, etc., so we put it away in the basement. But if there is any possibility it would cause hard feelings between her and the puppy, I will get him his own.

Also, any tips for introducing a young puppy (he will be 8 weeks) to our girl would be great. She is a happy, well socialized girl and has always treated small dogs with kindness. We plan to let them meet at a park near our house first so it is neutral ground before we bring him home. We also plan to feed the puppy in his crate and continue to feed Iris in the kitchen so there are no issues with food, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Although you said in your post that Iris don't use her crate but introducing a new puppy and giving her crate will most likely arise the guard instinct in her.

Though I like the idea of introducing her with the puppy at neutral grounds :thumbup:

Maybe the guard instinct doesn't come into play but I think you should really get a new crate and don't take risk with old one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.