German Shepherds Forum banner

Did your puppy take time to adjust to hot weather?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
A lot of litters come during the summer or spring so many pups are born into warm weather. However mine was born in the winter and this is the first time she ever experienced hot weather. She breathes A LOT harder than before, she isn't as energetic, on walks she takes frequent breaks in the shade and she gets more thirsty than ever.
Do they adjust to the hot weather or is this normal for the life of the dog?

#2 ·
Sounds like she is overheating a bit. She is probably also shedding her coat and that makes them a bit hotter as well. Make sure that you are brushing her out as much as possible. Also, I find when it's hotter that my guy likes to not run around as much. They will adjust, but I always make sure that there is lots of cold water close by and I bought him a kiddie pool and fill it with cold water and he perks right up after playing in it for a bit. As for walks, if you can, maybe try and walk her in the early morning or later in the day when the heat isn't as high and she may not need to take as many breaks. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Jax08 said: It went from 50s/60s to 90s over the weekend. No dog adjusted well in a sudden change like this.

I hate it when weather does this! Horses, dogs and humans get no adjusting time at all... Agree with everyone else, water, walk/exercise in mornings or evenings whichever is cooler, and kiddie pools are life savers.. My pups love them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.