German Shepherds Forum banner

Retained canines?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  T-Bone'sMamma 
#1 ·
So Karma has lost her lower canines and they are coming in great! Her top canines however have yet to fall out but the adult ones are already pushed out (less than half way). They have been this way for a little while. I read on this forum that this is somewhat normal and they should eventually fall out but how long until this is something I should be worried about? She is 23 weeks old now.

#3 ·
yes - check with the vet - baby teeth should not BUT have been known to have longer roots and if they don't come out, will skew the dog's bite.....I know someone who just spayed their 2 year old, and the dog was having some issue that had caused them to x-ray her face - sinus? runny nose???? runny eyes??? can't remember - there was a whole baby canine still mostly buried in the jaw that had to come out....

Lee

#6 ·
Brutus had the same issue, on top and bottom. His bottom ones actually started creating holes in his upper pallet :( I played lots of tug with him, gave him raw bones, and they did all fall out and the adult teeth shifted, thank goodness. I would give her a little more time before getting too concerned. Just my experience :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.