German Shepherds Forum banner

Unsure situation... advise would be greatly appreciated

3K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  WIBackpacker 
#1 · (Edited)
-post deleted-

#3 ·
I would say too many new experiences at once.

Travelling with a dog would crush spontaneity .

Do your travel - meet new people , change plans at the
drop of a hat , travel with them for a while , go places
without added responsibility - go and have fun.

Maybe even FIND your dog on your travels and collect him
on the return leg of your journey!

From the dog's perspective -- again , this is a new experience for you .
If you were settled in your home and had been with the dog for a while
and all things , including mutual understanding and training had been ironed
out then that would be different.
That young dog would need gobs of attention which you couldn't give.

Too much multi-tasking . Neither the trip will be "best" nor the "dog" .

#4 ·
Definitely travel first, you won't regret it. If you get a dog first it will really complicate things. Travel often requires you to be flexible and being able to spontaneously change your plans can be wonderful if an unforeseen opportunity comes up. As much as I love dogs, they are a responsibility that can hamper plans to be out for more than 8 hours. In a couple years there will still be plenty of wonderful gsds :)

#5 ·
Hello, I have been following the forums for a while now, but only recently made an account (wouldn't usually be one for submitting posts..)

So... I have always wanted a GSD, as long as I can remember. Growing up we had small dogs and they were great, but my heart has always been set on a GSD. Currently, I don't own my accommodation and can't have pets. I will be buying my first house next year, but I have a predicament..

I have always wanted to go off travelling, but I feel getting a dog might make that difficult when (if) the time came. I want nothing more than to get my pup as soon as I get my house. I've read countless articles and books on GSD's and training, you could easily consider me obsessed with them, and I don't even own one yet! I feel as prepared as any owner could be. It has broken my heart over the years seeing friends with GSD's, or seeing them in the street, knowing I have to wait..

My main question is; How easy is it to travel with a German Shepherd?

The sensible option for me might be to travel for a year or so, then when I return get my long awaited pup.
But at the same time, the thought of seeing the world (or some of it) with my dog makes me tremble with excitement. Going alone just won't feel the same.. I am in the UK, I would be going to Europe and beyond that I'm not sure. I've heard that travelling around within Europe with pets isn't too difficult, so if I had to limit my travels to there for now I would be prepared to do so. It would only be 1 or 2 short flights, the rest on trains/buses.

I would really appreciate some insight on people who have travelled both before and after owning pets. Without them is going to be less stressful and you will have more choice with destinations, but did you find the extra hassle worth it in the end to have your pet(s) along with you for the trip?

What would you do in my situation? While still free of responsibilities, should I take advantage of my full freedom, or would it be more fulfilling for me to go along with my dog and share the experiences? :smile2:

Thanks!
Chris

Choices are important in life and to me this (Getting and caring for a GSD) is as important as any you will make. Traveling in EU isn't the same as it once was I would imagine (migration) and I personally would want to have a Major K-9 simply for the protection as well as companionship along the way. You however, may feel different and with a pup it's obviously is different. There is always a place to have a dog or the possibility of camping I suppose,, it's just finding them and the old saying goes proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. So route journey and do your research online with regards to not only accommodations but emergency care facilities for your self and dog in case needed for each local., as well as food suppliers. There are going to be pluses and minuses with regard to being away from (HOME) but hopefully the pluses will outweigh the minuses in the end. Alone it's about you and your needs with the dog it's about you, your dog and his/her needs! Other than that enjoy!

#6 ·
A pet is supposed to be an enhancement to your life. Not a hindrance. I got my dog with the knowledge that I would travel, but not for someone else to watch him. He goes where I go.
I fly for free, but choose to drive. I go to places I can bring my dog. Just so he can go.
If I was traveling by air, to foreign countries, I'd have waited.
But that's just my opinion.

#7 ·
Thanks a bunch for the replies everyone!

The consensus seems to be to wait.. I guess I could, I've waited so many years already, one or two more will be irritating but in the end it will still pay off. I like the idea of volunteering at shelters while travelling, that will be insightful for sure and can only help for when I get a pup.

Getting a pet knowing that I could be travelling for a year might be a little selfish the more I think on it, the last thing I want to do is put myself at risk or hindrance and end up lowering the dog's quality of life in turn, just because I couldn't wait a year..

I shall just continue prowling forums and articles and being jealous of everyone! :wink2:

#8 · (Edited)
What you have heard here are opinions, Go with your gut, there is no wrong or right in this situation. An old codger once told me and it has proven true time and time again, "it will all come out in the wash so don't be afraid to get dirty son" good luck and safe travels! LIVE YOUR DREAMS DON'T JUST DREAM!

#10 · (Edited)
Just thinking, if you start out dogless (and my opinion concurs), you just might find a companion on the way. Some countries can be full of street dogs, and some of them make lovely pets. I have one.
As for travelling with a dog, any breed, camping and hiking great, but anything indoors ends up mostly off-limits.

#11 ·
I would not get a dog first. I love my dogs. My male goes just about everywhere with me. But I know, from previous trips when I've taken one, it severely limits what you can freely do.

So go...enjoy your trip...and when you get back, get your dog and start a new adventure.

#16 ·
I have travelled extensively within Canada with my medium sized dog and I wouldn't have it any other way, However I wouldn't think travelling with a puppy would be easy. Mine was well over a year before we started. And GSDs are sooo smart. It's really all about the training you put into your dog.

#17 ·
The thing giving me doubts it is not knowing exactly what is going to happen in my travels. I don't want to plan very much, because the best adventures come unplanned and for all I know I might suddenly end up half way around the world to somewhere I never thought I'd go. But if that place has some quarantine period or straight-up doesn't allow foreign pets, then I'm stumped.

I said originally I'd be prepared to travel only within Europe... but then there could be places in the world I may never see because of that decision. If I ever wanted to go to Australia or NZ along the way for example, their quarantine periods are crazy and I would not put my dog through that. I wouldn't really be prepared to leave my dog with friends/family for any length of time either.. While I have no pets, I can still visit those places easily.. If I only see them once in my life that's fine for me, I could get the dog then after my main trip and anything from there on can be based around countries that allow pets without much hassle.

From all I've read online recently and from this thread, it may just be best to wait... think that's my gut feeling too. Being sensible is boring.. but probably for the best..

:gsdhead: ... one day :)

#18 ·
Happy medium?

Try to figure out the least dog friendly trips do those prior to dog, and save a few that might be ok with dog to acclimate your pup to certain things....hotel rooms, tent camping, cities or countryside (wherever you don't live). You can't get that impressionable baby back once its grown and if this is something you may like to do with your adult dog then it could be beneficial to do some "kindergarten" trips with your pup once you are past some potty and crate training milestones to make it realistic.

#19 ·
Try to figure out the least dog friendly trips do those prior to dog, and save a few that might be ok with dog to acclimate your pup to certain things....hotel rooms, tent camping, cities or countryside (wherever you don't live). You can't get that impressionable baby back once its grown and if this is something you may like to do with your adult dog then it could be beneficial to do some "kindergarten" trips with your pup once you are past some potty and crate training milestones to make it realistic.
I really like that idea... I could avoid the easy places next year and save them for when I get the pup. Still brand new experiences for both of us then. :)

I go hiking and camping frequently, usually solo. The pup will be with me for those trips as soon as possible, it's been the only thing missing for me for years..... exciting...!

And now my inner child just wants one NOW! :grin2:

#24 ·
LOL IPOPRO has never deleted a comment in his life GOD as my witness!

Here I'll post it again. Thousands of my brothers and sisters have died WAITING, they were waiting for medical care they earned with their lives on the line day in and day out defending this Great Nation! USA!

Please don't ASS_U_ME, not good practice!

I guess the truth hurts!

#28 ·
I have done my homework, yes, but country laws aren't avoidable just because I've researched GSD's? It's fact that some countries don't allow foreign dogs, or some will put them in months of quarantine. Improvise, Adapt and Overcome is a great mentality, but in this situation the only solution that I see is completely skipping those countries, or separating from my dog (I would not want to do that. When I get a dog I am committing to it).

I have my entire life to own dogs, but this could be my only opportunity to really see the world..

If I was planning on travelling only within one continent, then I'd bring my dog with me in a heartbeat, and I most definitely intend to do so in the future. But for this first trip, the flexibility and freedom might be best seeing as I want no limits on where I go - I can see the sense in that.

My travelling is still months away. My mind could change... time shall tell, nothing is set in stone.

Thanks again everyone for the input, it really does help.

#37 ·
Traveling for shows with your dogs would be different though then traveling for sights and experiences.. Itineraries change, and while I am a travel with my animals type of girl, I wouldn't with a young puppy especially if quarantine was a necessity.. Time is short and I don't have 6wks of waiting for approval for my dog.. Just me though..

#39 ·
So are you implying that if you go to a show/competition in a far off or cool place you or I limit your/my activity to the show/event.... Scratching my head again.... Dang do I have fleas?

My experience and others who have joined in on said experience is after the show/competition (we all go together friends acquaintances and people we have only met for the very first time) to the famous local Bar/restaurant/sight seeing/amusement park/local gathering spot etc.... etc... etc... and many times (doing it all) not just one or the other, and truly enjoy the time and money we have invested in going to said local, and not wasting the opportunity to enjoy. LIFE MANAGEMENT, TIME MANAGEMENT is critical if you are at home or traveling.

NOTE: I tried to add this whole comment by edit to my post you have responded to because I had a gut feeling someone would be stating exactly what you did, but admin has limited "my" ability to edit a comment to 10 minutes LOL! :wink2:

Any major event, I have ever gone to in my entire life this is the norm and has been for nearly half a century! Have things changed in the last 3 weeks?

#41 ·
That wasn't what I implied at all... The statement was made referring to those who travel with their dogs for shows and competition are expecting the limitations and waits (quarantines) etc that they will face. They have these expectations and don't plan on many serendipitous excursions unless they have contingencies already in place..I never said that one couldn't enjoy time out and about during these occasions (remember not to assume ;) ) The OP is not in that situation. He wants to travel to travel. Having a dog that limits his experiences is what becomes a hindrance in this case.. He has expectations of traveling with his dog when quarantine and other obstacles aren't expected or the norm...

#42 · (Edited)
Oh OK LOL If I assumed I would have said YOU ARE IMPLYING rather I said ARE you implying (question), so homey didn't assume anything!

Anyone that travels with any animal with prior proper knowledge would expect such things not just dog people or show people or competition people even the OP would as he has done his research (homework).... That's how he knew.

But back to the question as originally posed (please see below), should I take my puppy? PROFESSIONALS, AMATEURS, COMMON PEOPLE, family friends guests judges event coordinators and on and on and on do this all over the world and people (I) have a BLAST! It is mainly seen by me (on a large scale) at major DOG events, and it works time, after time, after time, with proper prior planning and has for generations... The show/event is a given the greatest fun is planning for weeks months even a year ahead "what we are all going to do after the event"... we can't wait to get together again and have funnnnnnnnn dogs in tow as necessary. I rest my opinion. NUFF SAID!

OP'S QUESTION AND AGAIN I QUOTE: "My main question is; How easy is it to travel with a German Shepherd?"

You said : "He wants to travel to travel."

I thought maybe he wanted to travel with his puppy that's why he was asking!

I have seen it for decades, others have seen it for decades, it is going on somewhere today I assure you and it works!

I'm sorry for you and your puppies that you choose to do differently!

#43 ·
I'm sorry for you and your puppies that you choose to do differently

Oh please don't be sorry for me, I am quite happy and content with how I live my life and my dogs with me.. We do a ton of things and save people's lives, so I am well satisfied.. But for what it's worth, variety is expected as nobody is a carbon copy of another or their circumstances. What works for one does not necessarily work for another..

#44 ·
Hello, I have been following the forums for a while now, but only recently made an account (wouldn't usually be one for submitting posts..)

So... I have always wanted a GSD, as long as I can remember. Growing up we had small dogs and they were great, but my heart has always been set on a GSD. Currently, I don't own my accommodation and can't have pets. I will be buying my first house next year, but I have a predicament..

I have always wanted to go off travelling, but I feel getting a dog might make that difficult when (if) the time came. I want nothing more than to get my pup as soon as I get my house. I've read countless articles and books on GSD's and training, you could easily consider me obsessed with them, and I don't even own one yet! I feel as prepared as any owner could be. It has broken my heart over the years seeing friends with GSD's, or seeing them in the street, knowing I have to wait..

My main question is; How easy is it to travel with a German Shepherd?

The sensible option for me might be to travel for a year or so, then when I return get my long awaited pup.
But at the same time, the thought of seeing the world (or some of it) with my dog makes me tremble with excitement. Going alone just won't feel the same.. I am in the UK, I would be going to Europe and beyond that I'm not sure. I've heard that travelling around within Europe with pets isn't too difficult, so if I had to limit my travels to there for now I would be prepared to do so. It would only be 1 or 2 short flights, the rest on trains/buses.

I would really appreciate some insight on people who have travelled both before and after owning pets. Without them is going to be less stressful and you will have more choice with destinations, but did you find the extra hassle worth it in the end to have your pet(s) along with you for the trip?

What would you do in my situation? While still free of responsibilities, should I take advantage of my full freedom, or would it be more fulfilling for me to go along with my dog and share the experiences? :smile2:

Thanks!
Chris

Well... I hitch hiked across the continent with a Great Dane puppy, can't say it was fun.
I drove around the continent with the same Dane, a BC and a cat. Not much more fun. Added a trailer and two horses for half that time. No more fun but much more room to sleep.
I drove across two provinces with 3 GSD's. Also not a rollicking good time. Then drove back across the same two provinces with two and was exceedingly happy when it was over.
Think of water, food and lodgings at a minimum. Understand that at a lot of places dogs cannot be left unattended, so pup goes were you go. Many tourist places will not allow dogs. Vaccinations vary from country to country and even between states and provinces. Paperwork requirements can cause major hold ups at borders.
A change in water can make a dog violently ill, not fun while travelling.
Get a dog when you come back.

#45 ·
And do not consider otherwise because this person has had a whole lot of miserable time.

I on the other hand have traveled along with others to see many parts of the world and had a FREAKING blast with dogs, puppies, young dogs in tow. With simple proper prior planning things worked out marvelous darling just marvelous!

Get your puppy now and go have a BLAST see the world my friend and live your dream while you are still living! And that's an order! /:wink2: Sarc/

#46 · (Edited)
Woah woah... I have done my homework on GSD's and training, but I hadn't looked much into travelling with animals. That is why I asked my question here... just hoping for some simple friendly advise on people's travel experiences....

By "I would be going to Europe and beyond that I'm not sure." I do not mean I will only be going to Europe. I will be STARTING in Europe, and could end up anywhere in the world, aka multiple continents.

I could plan every day of my trip to the tee like you suggest and have a perfect schedule that is going to allow me to take my dog, but I do not want to plan every day.. This isn't a "vacation", I'm not going specifically to one country to sight see and lounge on a beach. I'm going backpacking for a year, from one country to the next, wherever I end up. I want to experience the locals and true cultures of the world. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of doing that with my dog and yes it is possible - I have NOT made any set in stone decisions.

I may well have known the answer to my own question, but like other posters have said, second opinions are always great and I see no harm in that! I have done extra research since my original point, and taken insight from responses, which has changed my thoughts since my original post. Mainly what I was hoping to see from the responses was whether the experience of having pets with you enhances a trip so much that it's worth taking my dog along on the world trip. So far, it seems for the WORLD trip, it could be best to go alone. That does NOT mean I will avoid all travelling with my dog!

For me to see lots of other parts of the world, and have that life experience, just for the sake of waiting one year? Like I said, this isn't going to be my only trip, but anything I do in the future will not be anywhere near the same scale, i.e only the odd week or month at most away in planned locations. Those trips will be much more manageable with my dog and I think more enjoyable.

Like Thecowboysgirl said with happy medium.. I could even just take the first 2-3 months to go and specifically visit all of the difficult/restricted parts of the world. Come back, get a pup, train and after a year or so go and do the rest of the trip worry free. Now for your "Scratching head", these are ideas I didn't really consider before this thread, so it seems worthwhile to me to have those extra opinions.. no? :wink2:

#49 ·
I think a "happy medium" is a good goal too. :)

It might be helpful to talk to a good vet that has experience prepping documentation for international travel. S/he can give some insight into the pros and cons, and what s/he has seen go wrong over the years.

Some of the degree of ease of traveling with a GSD will depend on your individual dog. Does your dog have a cast iron stomach? Does your dog adapt well to strange places? Can your dog "bunk" with strange resident dogs and cats?

I've done quite a bit of domestic travel across the USA, with a few jaunts over the border into Canada, so I can't speak to Europe. I have shared a bunk bed in a hostel with my 65lb GSD, that was interesting. She had to stay on "my" bed when I showered or ate in the kitchen, otherwise she would've had to be tied outside. This hostel had two resident cats, as well. That was interesting. She's been in glass elevators, cabs, cargo vans, buses, nice hotels, crappy dive motels, the list goes on. Some of it has been great, other times were frustrating and exhausting. She's been tied outside a laundromat in the rain so I could wash and dry my clothes while traveling, no dogs allowed.

If my (individual) dog didn't have nerves, tolerance, and obedience, some of these situations would've been a disaster. Check on the logistics before you plan each trip. A good friend of mine has taken several dogs into Costa Rica and Panama. He said it is very easy to get them INto the country, very hard to get them back OUT and back to USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.