German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy fight at dog park

4K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  LuvShepherds 
#1 ·
I had kind of a weird experience at the dog park the other day. I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on people who are in wheelchairs with large breed puppies.

Ill give you guys the fast version. I took my 6 month old puppy to the dog park so she could release a lot of energy and fast (she had a group training class that evening). Right when I let her in, a slightly larger and older pup went after her. No one helped me separate them and it was pretty hard because they aren't exactly small dogs. The older pup got free a couple times and I had to separate them again. Finally a lady in a wheelchair showed up to help me but she was upset at me for trying to restrain her dog.

PLEASE don't judge me but I was upset about my dog being attacked for no reason and upset because I saw no owner helping me and when I first saw her my initial though was, "Why does this lady have this very fast, very strong, 50 pound puppy?" Now that Im not as upset, I keep thinking about the incident. I want to think that the wheelchair had nothing to do with it and that it was simply the owner, wheelchair or no wheelchair, who was not being responsible in the way that she maybe wasn't watching her puppy or maybe her puppy is just aggressive and shouldn't have been there to begin with? What do you guys think?

BTW, I have nothing against people in wheelchairs. Feel like Im going to get really bashed for this post Hopefully not!. :confused::confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
I had kind of a weird experience at the dog park the other day. I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on people who are in wheelchairs with large breed puppies.

Ill give you guys the fast version. I took my 6 month old puppy to the dog park so she could release a lot of energy and fast (she had a group training class that evening). Right when I let her in, a slightly larger and older pup went after her. No one helped me separate them and it was pretty hard because they aren't exactly small dogs. The older pup got free a couple times and I had to separate them again. Finally a lady in a wheelchair showed up to help me but she was upset at me for trying to restrain her dog.

PLEASE don't judge me but I was upset about my dog being attacked for no reason and upset because I saw no owner helping me and when I first saw her my initial though was, "Why does this lady have this very fast, very strong, 50 pound puppy?" Now that Im not as upset, I keep thinking about the incident. I want to think that the wheelchair had nothing to do with it and that it was simply the owner, wheelchair or no wheelchair, who was not being responsible in the way that she maybe wasn't watching her puppy or maybe her puppy is just aggressive and shouldn't have been there to begin with? What do you guys think?

BTW, I have nothing against people in wheelchairs. Feel like Im going to get really bashed for this post Hopefully not!. :confused::confused:
Sorry this happened to you. I don't have a lot to add except shock that nobody stopped to help. People aren't like that where I live. I agree, wheelchair or not, that anybody with a dog in a dog park should be able to easily control that dog or they should not have their dog in the park.

Off topic, the bolded above, I have seen so many people claim that training tires their dogs out more than physical exercise. Evidently it does not work on your dog. I have never used training as an alternative for exercising my dogs either, so I don't know. Not much more to add to that either, just it caught my eye because of the number of people on this forum who have posted to the contrary.

#4 ·
It was a really bad/weird experience. :-(

Training does tire my dog out some but she has such high energy/stamina. Its really nice when we train at home but when we are in a group class, I need her to be settled while the instructor is talking and in between exercises.

I think training is very important but so it exercise and having fun. Mind games are especially fun. We play hide and seek and the KONG Wobler is awesome.

#8 ·
I have gone to one a few times - if it is empty or has 1 dog that I know - a husky - I will let Lucca run there

I would not take a puppy into a group of adult dogs - I would not let a puppy into a dog park at all actually

Owners seem to know each other - they allow grumbling and growling at newcomers without correcting their dogs even verbally....they seem to think the dogs will work it out fine....

This in itself is disturbing - they don't know the NEW dog - they don't know that if that dog is pushed how it will react and maybe their dog who they think is fine will be attacked for his behavior.....

Just accidents waiting to happen unfortunately

Lee

#9 ·
I have gone to one a few times - if it is empty or has 1 dog that I know - a husky - I will let Lucca run there

I would not take a puppy into a group of adult dogs - I would not let a puppy into a dog park at all actually

Owners seem to know each other - they allow grumbling and growling at newcomers without correcting their dogs even verbally....they seem to think the dogs will work it out fine....

This in itself is disturbing - they don't know the NEW dog - they don't know that if that dog is pushed how it will react and maybe their dog who they think is fine will be attacked for his behavior.....

Just accidents waiting to happen unfortunately

Lee
Gotta love this one! A breeder that admits to utilizing a dog park! Thank you for your honesty!

#14 ·
^^ very true.. Outside of a parvo outbreak the chances of contamination are the same walking by the dog park is being in (empty).....

I personally think dog parks, for the most part are a good way to watch handwork go downhill because someone else didn't do any work with their dog... If possible, find a sandy river bed, dirt road, etc to exercise dog away from people and dogs... Not always easy to do, I know, but imo better then a busy dog park.. But every one has their own ideas and opinions and sometimes it works beautifully for them..

#16 ·
Agaribay very sorry you pup got attacked. My guy got bit a while back and the owner was oblivious and tried to blame me (even though my dog was leashed and hers was loose) so I know how you feel!

My thoughts are you need to be in control of your dog at all time. Regardless of your physical limitations. And more importantly you need to be watching your dog when they are with you! I wonder if the other dogs owner got upset because they didn't see the altercation and just saw you messing with their dog?

Put some extra special treats in your pup's wobbler for me! Very glad he likes that toy. It's a favorite here as well.

#20 ·
She either didn't see her pup start the fight or she is just plain weird. I know it makes me a little uncomfortable when people try to handle my dog in any way, especially when they don't know me or her. Like sometimes people just want to put themselves in my dogs face and pet her without asking! It drives me nuts. But in a dog fight situation, I'd welcome the help every single time. And yes the more I think about it, the wheel chair has nothing to do with it. People need to be in control of the animals.

#19 ·
I am a firm believer in video cameras (cell phone) in liable situations. This can protect you and simply show the facts as they are/were. Documented evidence of irresponsible acts/behavior can prove a point and protect you and your dog from false accusation or dishonest/irresponsible people. Many disabled persons are using the service dog cover irresponsibly at the expense of others (not saying this is it). You have every right to enjoy a public dog park with a well behaved dog and should not tolerate the irresponsible acts of others/dogs ever IMO! Inform those who have the authority over the park and keep it safe for all! Sorry about your experience! You have the responsibility to your dog and yourself to not allow this to happen to you, your dog or anyone else...

#23 ·
I am a firm believer in video cameras (cell phone) in liable situations. This can protect you and simply show the facts as they are/were. Documented evidence of irresponsible acts/behavior can prove a point and protect you and your dog from false accusation or dishonest/irresponsible people. Many disabled persons are using the service dog cover irresponsibly at the expense of others (not saying this is it). You have every right to enjoy a public dog park with a well behaved dog and should not tolerate the irresponsible acts of others/dogs ever IMO! Inform those who have the authority over the park and keep it safe for all! Sorry about your experience! You have the responsibility to your dog and yourself to not allow this to happen to you, your dog or anyone else...
Nailed it!

#22 ·
, I want to think that the wheelchair had nothing to do with it and that it was simply the owner, wheelchair or no wheelchair, who was not being responsible in the way that she maybe wasn't watching her puppy or maybe her puppy is just aggressive and shouldn't have been there to begin with? What do you guys think?
I completely agree ......I always thought one of the requirements at most every dog park is the handler must have control of their dog....being in a wheelchair is not an exclusion to this most basic rule.

SuperG

#25 ·
We had a bad experience at the dog park once. I took Ronin very very early in the morning when no one was there so that he could run and play and get some energy worn off. He had a great time, and it tired him out for a good 5 hours when we got home. However, we were just getting ready to leave, because I saw someone people heading for the dog park, and I don't trust other dogs in dog parks at all, with good reason around here. This one dog, the owners let their dog in the park, unhooked it and it took off for Ronin and I right away. Now, we were only about 10 feet away and this dog was FAST. I moved to block it, but it went around me and hit Ronin so hard that he rolled, while on his leash, 4 times! I was furious. I shoved the dog away, and the owner yelled at me. I told her to keep her dog away from mine, we were leaving and that he could have seriously hurt him! She called me a not so nice name and let her dog run up and jump on my back trying to get to Ronin, who had picked up even though at the time he was about 50 pounds at the time, almost knocking me down. Needless to say I have never been back. I feel that people who can't or won't control their dogs shouldn't be allowed to be at the dog park. I only go when we are completely alone, never any other time.

#27 ·
I teach few commands, but they are absolutes. I don't want my dogs confusing training or commands with fun and games. I want them to know that commands are serious business and I expect them to act accordingly when I give a command. In essence, I set a tone with my training. When I do give a command, regardless of what they are doing or what is going on around them, they immediately change their attitude to reflect the same.

#31 ·
Rusty has never been hyper but he can get "busy" if he's bored. I could take him out and run him into the ground and he will want to know what's next? What tires him out is making him use his noggin. He likes to figure things out, explore a new location with me, track, help me around the house.

Dog parks - not my thing. My boy likes order and finds some dogs "friendly" behavior as a turn off and would not enjoy himself in that type of setting. He has played with trusted dogs and did great but he always wants to know where I'm at and finds me more interesting. lol

I just think dog parks will constantly disappoint responsible dog owners.

#37 ·
I have a love/hate relationship with the dog park.

It is a 15/20 minute drive from me. The closest safe place for off leash time by far. But there are so many 'rude' dogs and oblivious owners *sigh* also waaaaay to many pit bulls for my comfort level.

A significant amount of the dogs I see there are just.... bad at dogging. Maybe because they are from single dog households? Idk. But they don't heed warnings by other dogs. They're rude. A big happy go lucky over excited dog approaches another. The second dog gives very clear body language that they aren't comfortable and telling the first dog to back off. The first dog is oblivious to it. The owners of both dogs are just as oblivious to what's going on and then get confused as to why a fight broke out. *sigh*

Too many untrained dogs. All you hear is people nagging their dogs. "Buster! Come! Buster! I mean it! Come! Get over here!". Dogs wearing ill fitted prongs while running loose. People grabbing their dogs and squeezing their faces asking "why did you do that?" After an infraction.

I swear every time I leave I need a drink.

Luckily my dog park is 7 acres and shaped like an L. The main entrance and where 95 percent of the people congregate is in the long part. The short part has the maintenance truck entrance and is a bit of a hike to get to. There is hardly any one on that end. Mostly just people and dogs comming from or going to the main part. That's where we hang down in the corner well off the path. I usually don't allow my guy to approach the other dogs, nor they him.

That said there are a handful of other dogs we see regularly and they all get on swimmingly. Generally owners who aren't comfortable with the party end of the park and like the quieter atmosphere of the short end. I like those owners. They controlling their dogs.

I do however love going in the rain or otherwise chappy weather. We get the run of the whole thing to ourselves!

#32 ·
I find the vast majority of people who go to dog parks are very responsible and if they follow a few simple rules, find the experience anything but disappointing.

I think a lot of people who find them disappointing bring the disappointment on themselves in dog parks like by taking their dog into a dog park full of loose dog friendly dogs and expect to spend time doing some one on one training with their dogs undisturbed or like the type of people that bring a ball in to a dog park expecting once again to be left alone and are surprised when fights break out over the ball. Although one is free to do as one pleases within reason in a dog park, dog parks were never meant for the above mentioned purposes.

#33 ·
I find the vast majority of people who go to dog parks are very responsible and if they follow a few simple rules, find the experience anything but disappointing.

I think a lot of people who find them disappointing bring the disappointment on themselves in dog parks like by taking their dog into a dog park full of loose dog friendly dogs and expect to spend time doing some one on one training with their dogs undisturbed or like the type of people that bring a ball in to a dog park expecting once again to be left alone and are surprised when fights break out over the ball. Although one is free to do as one pleases within reason in a dog park, dog parks were never meant for the above mentioned purposes.
Sometimes I am too wordy. lol I didn't mean the things I mentioned should be done at a dog park. For the record I have never visited one. I just know myself and dog - not a good fit. My impression of them and it's mostly stories I hear are they are a free for all - a bunch of breeds mixed together and expected to play nice. One should not expect to go to a dog park for one-on-one training. I'm sure bringing out high value items could cause a stir as well.

#35 ·
I pick up my dog and use my body and legs to kick away a dog going after mine. keeps my head safe, and most of Zelda's important body parts. We can do without out legs.. ;)

They have a STOP THAT! spray sound thing, it works well on some dogs. You could carry that with you, so that if something like this ever happens again, you are not putting yourself in harms way as much (it could be adult dogs next time) It may startle them to a point where they go away, or just give you 2 seconds to get to your next plan. So picking up your dog. Grabbing another leash to loop around the dog going after yours,etc.

I would do just about anything for my dog...so as for me, i am not afraid to get in there, i guess because im a dog groomer and i work at a day care. So there are plenty of times i have to separate or deal with aggressive dogs face level.

But for next time, its good to have some plans! A dog could be running up to yours in many other situations, not just the dog park. And you cant rely on the owners to do anything. You have to step up.

#36 ·
I use my local dog park when no one else is there. It is well designed, with two fenced areas, so if someone else shows up with their dog, I can move quickly so we have a fence between us.

I don't like seeing parents bring children into the park when dozens of dogs are running around off leash. I've seen some very young children in strollers being brought in, and older children running around with no shoes. Who wants their child to pick up hookworms?

I bring water for my dog too, I don't want him getting sick from an infected community dog drinking station.

#40 ·
Our dog park members are so rigid, anyone with an aggressive dog is run off. It's not much fun. I went a few times with my puppy, who is young and barks sometimes. They started grilling me on what I was feeding him, who my vet is, is he neutered, why was he barking? I finally left and stayed away. The only thing worse than an out of control dog park is one that is so restrictive, no one is welcome. When I was there last, I asked people where they lived and not one lived in the city that owns and maintains the park. Which, I thought, given how possessive they are, was hilarious.

#42 ·
Interesting, there are several dog parks around me and excessively barking dogs are taboo in all of them. I have seen barking dogs be the catalyst for other dogs to get edgy and fight. Also, since the dog parks here are generally located within a park, it disturbs the peace and serenity of other park users.

#41 ·
The dog park by our house is a 3 minute drive from our house and our yard is on the smaller side. I do agree that for the most part people are really bad at reading their own dogs. Ive seen my puppy approach dogs that are reserved or maybe even scared and the owners welcomed my puppy over to their dog, saying that it was good for their dog. I've seen people who let their little chihuahuas bully bigger dogs thinking its cute & harmless and that no dog will ever do anything to them back. But its not always bad. It kind of depends on the day and who is there. Some days my pup will find another dog who wants to play as much as she does and who is just about her size and its amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.