German Shepherds Forum banner

Getting ready for the new puppy

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Julian G 
#1 ·
I have made a few posts here about getting my puppy soon. We pick her up on June 18th!! I can't wait. I just wanted to get advise on what I'm going to do and some questions. (since I haven't had a puppy in years) We are making a playpen in the living room. It is about 9 feet by 9 feet. In this play pen she will have her kennel, toys and potty pads. She will be 7weeks and 3 days when we pick her up. I will be off work for a week after we get her. I will then return back to work. She will be by her self for 4 hours until she is 10 weeks old and then 5 hours until she is 16 weeks old (Monday-Thursday) On Friday I work 10hours so I was thinking about taking her to work with me on Friday's (Boss is 100% alright with it) What do you guys think about this? After she is 16weeks old she will be going to doggy daycare. I know using pee pads might make potty training harder but when I'm home she will be taken outside to potty every hour. I have another dog. He is a lab and loves people and other dogs. Also I have 2 cats who also love dogs. Of course it takes the cats a few days to get used to a dog but they warm up to them pretty fast. I take my lab for a walk every day for only 1.5 miles. We just walk. Will it be alright to take the puppy on these walks too? At what age do you think it will be ok? At night I'm going to have another kennel replace my nightstand so the puppy is close by. We go to bed at 10pm so I'm thinking about taking her potty at 1pm and 5pm when we wake up. Do you think I should add another potty break at night? Also my dog gets along with almost every dog he has met before. He goes to doggy daycare every once in awhile and goes to training and see other dogs all the time. We have had lots of other dogs come in to the house and it has never bothered him. He just wants to play and make new friends. So do you think it will be alright to introduce my current dog with the new puppy at the house. The only thing my lab is protective over his food bowl when it has food and sometimes his toys. When I say protective he sometimes does a low growl and pushes the other dogs head back. He is only like that with other dogs. Any person can walk up to his bowl and touch it or take it and he doesn't mind (he thinks you are adding to it) The dogs will be fed separate. The puppy will have a Vet appointment a few days after we get her. I'm looking around for a vet near me that deals a lot with German Shepherds. Sorry for the long post and the random questions and thoughts. I just kind of wanted to get it all out and see what other people think of what I'm doing and advice.
Thank you!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't take her anywhere where a dog has been until she had all her shots. If you must, WATCH HER!!! Puppies put everything in their mouths. It's good to socialize her by taking her to work. I have fostered pups and never left them at home for 4-5 hours at a time, but that's just me. DO NOT take a puppy for that long of a walk, not at this age, no way. I think they reccomend a puppy to walk at most 1/4 to 1/3 a mile total each day. So if you take her out to potty every hour, dont go to far, I know it's hard but their bones and joints are very delicate at this age. Definitely let her potty before bed, 5 pm to morning is way too long of a wait to potty. Their bladders are very weak at this age. When I had pups I would let them potty twice before bed, an hour apart. As far as socializing with your current pets, you make the call. I dont know how your pets are, let them just see each other the first day, then take it slow. You don't want to scare the pup, then again they could all just start licking and cuddling at first sight so I dont know about that.

#3 ·
Oh I definitely won't take her anywhere that is high dog traffic area. Oh I know I will watch her like a hawk all the time haha. I wish I didn't have to leave her for 4 hours but she was born earlier then planned. We have a large yard so not being able to take her on long walks will be alright then. She has lots of room to play inside and outside. I didn't mean she would be waiting that long to potty. I got my pm and am mixed up lol. I meant we go to bed at 10pm and I would take her potty at 1am and 5am. Thank you for your advice.

#4 ·
And 7.5 weeks is early. Their mothers still have a lot of teaching to do. How to place nice and not bite hard. This site is packed with puppy biting threads, GSD pups bite a lot. Many people take their pups home too early. I know youre eager but if it's possible I would wait until 9 weeks old at least. It can make a world of difference.

#5 ·
My pups will be 8 weeks on a Monday. I am waiting until that following weekend to let them go. Closer to 9 weeks then. For some the timing could be off in ability to pick up depending on the day of the week.

#6 ·
When it comes down to me picking her up at 7 weeks old, I sadly didn't do enough research on the breeder and she lets them go at 7 weeks. This is my first time buying from a breeder and I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes. Hopefully I don't regret them to much and next time I will not make these mistakes. When I asked her about letting the puppies go at 7weeks instead of 8weeks she told me she has been breeding German Shepherds for over 25 years and she has done lots of research and has talked with many vets and between 7weeks and 8weeks is the best time for them to be in their new homes. She talked to me more about it and told me the reason behind it and everything. I still think a puppy shouldn't be away from it's mom until at least 8 weeks but because of my lack of research on breeders I'm getting my little girl at 7weeks old. I will start doing research on how to help the biting. I have read they bite a lot but I haven't done any research on how to help it yet. I will get started on more reading today. Thank you guys

#8 ·
There are a LOT of different opinions on age for puppies to go home. A lot of research does say that between 7 1/2 weeks to 8 weeks is the best time. Of course others will disagree. I have found the 8 week mark to be a good time. A lot of people talk about what the mother teaches them by staying with them longer. Most generally I have found it is more what they learn in their pack (from each other). Sometimes you have mamas that are done with them early on; I mean they start weaning and really don't spend a lot of time with them; just going in to clean up. I am only expressing my opinion, and I wouldn't kick yourself to much for the timing on taking the puppy home; because you will get about as many opinions as there are people on this like so many other things about our beloved breed. :)
If you go to bed at 10:00 pm and potty the puppy at that time; I would wait and see when they start whimpering and then get up at that time. If it is earlier than 1:00 of course you would take them out; however it could be they would sleep later than that.
It seems you have put much thought into the planning and caring for your puppy. I wish you much success in training and raising it!!!

#9 ·
I will start doing research on how to help the biting. I have read they bite a lot but I haven't done any research on how to help it yet. I will get started on more reading today. Thank you guys
There's going to be contradictions and different opinions on that too. I'm in the no teeth on me side of it. A rag, a soft toy, maybe tie a line on it to create some separation with your hands, and start from the beginning showing them whats appropriate to bite. The toy is the prey, make that alive and exciting, not your hands.

#10 ·
I agree there is so much research out there that all goes in different directions. We put our deposit down on the puppy in November of 2015. So I have been reading about puppies non stop and buying things for the puppy like crazy. I have a puppy class all picked out for when she is old enough. I'm so ready!....Or at least I think I am for now haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.