German Shepherds Forum banner

New to GSD ownership, need serious help please.

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here so please bear with me. I am NOT going to sugar coat my situation so I came here to get some expert opinions. I got a puppy recently, from a BYB mostly for my family protection as we live in a....gentrifying neighborhood. Crime still occurs, pretty much daily around here. Shootings, killings, muggings, rapes.....its one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC. I do not really feel safe for my family to be walking around alone, but we cannot move, at least not for the next few years. So I thought to get a GSD puppy to grow into a family protector. I had a chow growing up.

Now, my gsd pup is good MOST of the time. She is adorable, really, Ive had hundreds of people throughout the city, even ran into a few breeders who say that she is among the most beautiful GSD pups they ever seen. Had some military personnel who went to war with dogs say she is very sweet. With strangers she is VERY sweet, but there was some shady characters hanging outside my house and she stood tall like a statue and did the low toned "roof" followed by persistent barking, which really impressed me for a 12 week old puppy.

Now here is my problem, today I had to take the dog with me for a car ride. She threw up on the car 4 times, and crapped in the car. NOT the first time this happened. The kids got to me this morning too and I some unforeseen bills came my way so I was pissed off. I yelled at the pup, I felt completely bad for her. Then I HAD to leave the dog in the crate for a couple hours. This by the way never happens, since DAY ONE, I have been to every vet visit, played with her for hours, a day, Ive read puppy books, these forums, advice boards, articles. I took owning a puppy VERY serious, sorry to say it more serious than having my first child (though he turned out great :). So I went with the puppy for a walk, she was heavily pulling on the leash, this turned into her lunging at me viscously, and my pant legs, then my legs. Really vicious biting and growling, she's normally never like this, but something in her "snapped", her face changed. She honestly looked like a different dog, she looked like a possessed demon. Like a rabid dog. It scared me, so I got out the tug and thought that a good game of tug will get out some of her excess energy. After 30 mins of tugging and fetching, she still wasnt done. I was. I put away the tug and sat down on the couch. The kids had homework, I work very hard to put food on the table and wanted to rest for a few minutes. The puppy then jumped on the couch and started viciously attacking my arms and hands, followed by many "no's". I got up and walked away, and sat on another chair in another room, she went after me, this time even harder than before. I reacted very badly, I smacked her. It wasn't planned, it was more of a reflex because she got my by surprise on my shoulder and then my chin. As soon as my hand touched the first hair on her body I immediately felt HORRIBLE. I felt sick to my stomach, I felt like crying, the pup yelped like a child. I grabbed her and started carressing her and kissing her and petting her and saying sorry. I even asked god for forgiveness. I am sorry to the community here as Im sure some of you are cringing just reading this. The biting has been an up and down roller coaster, she seems to get overly aggressive when on the same level as me, like when Im on the floor or when she jumps on the couch.
I just don't know what to do now, I'm afraid the dog is just a bad tempered dog. I got her from a shady character. She shows signs of being a great dog, but then can immediately snap, very moody. Please any help would be greatly appreciated, again I'm very sorry for smacking the dog. I have never in my life hit an animal and am really sick to my stomach.

See less See more
#2 ·
This sounds like completely normal behavior for a 12 week old puppy. Try redirecting her to a chew toy when she gets bitey. If that doesn't work, crate her for a bit. She may be overtired. When my boy was this age, he was a monster. It will pass! Just be patient and consistent and remember that she's not doing this to be aggressive, she's just a puppy and this is what they do.

#3 ·
She did the barking at the people in front of my house at 12 weeks, she's 13 weeks now. I really feel absolutely terrible right now. I can't even sleep. She might have been stressed from the barf-a-thon car ride, and it has been raining for the past few days so her walks have bee shorter and less frequent. Plus she HAD to be crated for a long time today, no other way around it. I don't know, I guess we were both stressed today and both reached a tipping point. I should not have smacked her, it was a pretty hard smack :crying:
I have never and will never do it again, unless I'm being mauled god forbid. She also sometimes bites at my face, and ears. She is so cute sometimes I just want to smother her with kisses and pinch her cheeks, and she snaps at my face. I have read that these dogs hate being touched around the face though so it is my fault.

Im worried I ruined my relationship with her, but she did lick my hands and face afterwards...followed by more biting....and more licking.
Is this breed known for being so bi-polar?

#4 ·
Sounds normal. You have to teach her. You can do small obedience lessons throughout the day(10 minutes several times a day), play find it games with her, get puzzles that she has to figure out to get treats. They have to be tired physically and mentally--you have to find the balance that works for her. If you get frustrated, put her in the crate and regroup.

#5 ·
It sounds like normal puppy stuff. My guess based on what you have written is that you have a fairly busy household and a bit of a hectic schedule.
Crate train your puppy and when she starts getting all wound up and bitey put her in her crate with a stuffed kong or similar.
Just like babies, when puppies get over tired or over whelmed they throw temper tantrums. And when you are trying to decompress from a long day, she may be picking up on some stress.
The throwing up in the car I can sympathize with, try taking her for short car rides as you can to get her used to it. Most puppies grow out of it.
Give your self a bit of a break, crap happens. Your puppy will be fine. Get her on a schedule and stick to it. She's fine crated for a few hours. Start working on basic obedience, making them think tires them out as well.

#6 ·
I'm new to the breed as well and have recently gotten a new 5 month old pup, but I'll chip in my own two cents.

My puppy, Kona, was a sweetheart in the first couple of days but after a week, she really tested the waters/boundaries and got more comfortable with me. This is when she would start biting--she aimed for my forearms the most and it got to the point where I was getting really prominent bruises. I noticed she does it when she wants to play with another dog or human and I'm stopping her from doing so (like on a walk). She would get frustrated and redirect her frustration onto me. Also, after a particularly long walk, she would jump up and bite me even though there are no distractions around. It turns out she did this to because she was too tired and frustrated because of it.

I understand what you mean about how whenever you get to your pup's level, it seems like she would just attack you. It may be that you are getting too close to her personal space and she is lashing out to let you know. In that case, I wouldn't get on to her level right now and also try to really solidify your bond with her.

What everyone has said about redirecting her to a toy is great advice. While it didn't work with Kona once her "frenzy" began, I learned to get a good game of tug going before any walk just to get the chewing out of her system.

Hope this helps!

#9 · (Edited)
You know what, I do remember her getting into a bark match with a yorkie on the way home. :smile2: I kind of ended it before it escalated, my girl was getting a bit feisty. I hear they don't like to lose an argument:laugh2:
And right after that she began to bite at my leg very hard. Hmm, maybe she felt like I didn't have her back? I guess the stress of this particular day got the best of us. I will try to get over it because I know for a fact I am a good dog owner. I treat her better than I do most people. I buy the most expensive dog food, I research healthy people food she can eat. I take her for walks even when I'm dead tired. I even rush home on my lunch break to take her for a walk and run back to work eating a bagel on the ride back. But she really looked like a possessed demon for those 5 minutes of the final attack on me. But after reading all your replies this sounds normal. Thanks for all the supportive words, I feel a lot better, and have learned from this.

#7 ·
Puppies are legit crazy sometimes. I hate to compare them to kids, but they are like a toddler at this age. Irrational, at best. It will get better! It just takes time. As for the barking thing... at this age, she is not being protective or anything. My guess would be she felt unsure or afraid, so she barked.

Try not to beat yourself up. We all make mistakes. It sounds like she's moved on, so you should, too. I don't think one mistake can ruin your relationship with your dog. Just keep working on redirecting when she bites. She'll get it eventually, or she'll grow out of it. When my boy was this age, he was trying to sink his teeth into me whenever he was awake. I had bite marks all over my body. I know it seems like she is trying to maul you, but she just doesn't know better. Puppies explore with their mouths. She's probably just looking for engagement from you.

#8 ·
You have gotten some excellent advice here. Just let me add that young puppies can get over tired and over stimulated as well. Human toddlers, when over tired, cry and get cranky. GSD toddlers get nippy and impulsive. Crate, even if the baby fusses. Chances are the little carpet shark will fall asleep and wake up in a much better mood.

#10 ·
I second this. My 3 month-old TOTALLY gets overtired to the point where she will be 20x more snappy and bitey than normal. She NEEDS time-out and down-time just like a human toddler. I have noticed that even if you tire the heck out of her for hours, if you deprive them of the chance to sleep or rest, they quickly become little terrorists!

#11 ·
Yeah, my thoughts are #1, the point where you don't have time or energy to play tug with her anymore, this is a golden time for a nap.

Do you have ex pens and a crate? If not well worth the investment. Don't kid yourself, get the 48" x pen (ask me how I know lol), and don't leave the puppy unsupervised because it isn't inescapable (ask me how I know lol). But you need a place to put her where she has a collection of appropriate things to play with and chew and you get a break. Mine had egg cartons, kongs, tire chews, toys, he really liked brown paper for shredding when he was in an episode of "wreck-it ralph". Those wobbly kibble dispensers are awesome. He used to wake up bent on destruction so the first thing I did was stick him in his x pen with a Starmark Bob a Lot and he would smash that thing! He had so much fun and was way less determined to destroy the house afterward.

About the hitting and losing your patience: I think we all lose our patience. Dogs are forgiving if it isn't a regular thing. if I were you I'd try to stop beating yourself up about it in case it is coloring how you are handling the pup now. And make sure she is conditoned to use a crate and/or x pen so that you have a place to put her away before you get to that point. You can just scoop up your little **** beast, put her away, and go take the time you need. Do something for yourself as stress relief. I would even say do it pro actively. Say for this 20 mins or more a day, the pup is going in her crate and I am going to meditate or whatever helps you. Baby puppies are a lot of work and you need to take care of yourself.

#12 ·
Thanks for being so understanding and not judgmental. About the egg carton thing, she likes to swallow paper, and I try not to let her. But if its ok for them to eat paper I would much rather just let her instead of being such a nanny all the time. She likes the inside of a paper towel roll, I usually take it from her. And she likes empty water bottles, again I usually take it from her, I don't want her swallowing little pieces of plastic.

#13 · (Edited)
A little light at the end of the tunnel. All this biting, tearing at your clothes (land shark phase) will end soon. As long as training and redirection are in place (sounds like it is) this phase will go away when teething is done. Baby teeth will start falling out in the next few weeks and adult teeth will come in. Usually between 5-7 months. Once the adult teeth are in you may still get some mouthy episodes but the hard puppy biting will end.

For some down time a RAW beef rib or knuckle bone in the crate will give you both a rest. Bully sticks and antlers are great as well.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Your pup has already forgiven you so forgive yourself. A single one off bad day isn't going to ruin your relationship with your pup.

ETA: if you don't mind a little water here and there. Puppy's love to chase and chew on ice cubes. When mine was in a frenzy I would just drop and ice cube or two on the kitchen floor and let her have at it.

#14 ·
Hi NYgsd! It sounds like you are, and have been, doing many good things with your pup. And don't worry, at 12 weeks, I highly doubt the little guy or girl is showing any signs of viciousness or aggression towards you. They don't call GSD puppies landsharks for nothing. I've never had a dog that didn't eventually grow out of it, (thank goodness), but you can expect it to get better eventually. Redirecting with another toy works best for me (it sounds like you have been doing that). If you search "puppy biting" in this site you should get a lot of links. It's a really common issue, if that makes you feel any better. :)

I second what others have said about the crate...if the puppy biting gets too much to endure, put the pup in a crate for a little while.

Also, how much exercise does the pup get? At 12 weeks, s/he won't need a ton of exercise, but he'll need more as he gets older. I know you said you're in the city, but do you have a backyard or a fenced-in area where you can throw a kong or a ball? A tired puppy is a good puppy!

Finally, you might want to consider enrolling in a group obedience or puppy kindergarten class, (if you have not already.) In our area, they cost around $60-100 for 6-8 weeks of classes. When I had my first GSD, I learned a lot from such classes. In fact, I learn new things whenever I enroll in a new class. Even if you know all the info from reading books and other sources, it really helps to get an outside perspective sometimes. Advice from a trainer who can actually see you interacting with your dog can be invaluable. (I take all my puppies through several classes even though I know how to train basic obedience because it's excellent for socialization).

Anyway, it sounds like you've got a great puppy! And s/he will forgive you for hitting her that one time, now forgive yourself, and I'm sure it won't happen again.

#16 ·
between running around the house and outside, she gets a lot of exercise. But the past few days we had bad weather so she hasn't been exercised as much as usual. I wanted to hire a trainer, but the cheapest one I can find was $800 for 7 classes (yikes). The downside of living in the city. I could go to petco for cheaper but I have been advised against it.

#22 ·
#19 ·
Hi and welcome!

Many great advises already from far more experienced folks here. Just wanted to add my 2 cents:)

If you end up creating her as a result of unruly behavior, try your best not to make it look like a punishment. In petsmart i used to get Peanut butter for dogs (pure, no junk added), and put some in a kong chewy and freeze it. It should keep her busy for a while in the crate. But when you bring her to the crate, make her go in on her own (use the tasty treat/stuffed kong). Experiment with treats and toys and find something that she really likes, and give her that ONLY when she is inside the crate. Eventually it will become her happy place and she'll be at ease while inside.

As many pointed out, definitely get her in puppy obedience classes. While looking for a reputable and affordable trainer, do some at home on your own. Start with basics like teaching her the name, sit, down, come. Just these alone should keep you both busy for a while. While it teaches the necessary basics, it will also strengthen the bond between you two, will help you establish communication, as well as it's just as tiring as physical activities - she will be tired and happy. Just keep in mind that at this stage they have very little attention span, so keep the training sessions short (even 2-3 minutes) and fun with lots of love and LOTS of praises for even small successes. The more she learns, the more calm and confident she will be.

Another small thing that you pointed out that when you were on the couch and she came up to "annoy" you, then you got up and moved somewhere else - imho this is not a very good thing you did. Basically you gave up your spot for her. So she went after you to the next spot and kept bullying you. She feels like she is the boss. You need to let her know that she doesn't call the shots and you are the boss.
I would do something like this in that situation: use one of the treats that she likes, let her sniff it and lead her (using the treat) to the floor (away from the couch where you are). The second she touched the floor, reward her with the treat. If she stays there looking at you, even for another 5 seconds - give her another treat. Show her that being on the floor is kinda fun, cool, and rewarding. She is on the couch - ignore her completely. Try using the same technique as when they jump on you without invitation - hold your arms close to the chest and turn away, otherwise she may see your reactions as an invitation to keep playing with her.

Also keep in mind that timing is everything and dogs are very quick thinkers and weird in that way. For example, if she does something unwanted and you want to stop the behavior, you call her name to scold her - mistake was already made because when you called her name and she reacted and turned to you as you are yelling - in her mind you are yelling not because of the bad behavior, but because you called her name and she turned (reacted). So you REALLY have to get your timing right when it comes to rewards and corrections.

Also never use her name for "punishments" so that she doesn't associate it with anything bad (only use it for good and happy things) - it will help you TONS with your recall.

Hopefully it makes sense what I was trying to explain (it definitely does in my head.. lol), but basically pay attention to her, try and learn her behavior, likes/dislikes, and use it to your advantage to redirect unwanted behavior to something positive.

When she was biting on your walk - remember that GSDs are herding breed and this is how they correct where the herd goes - biting ankles. In other words she wanted you to go where she wanted. Don't allow her to boss you. She does that - you stop, don't move until she calms down. Then continue. There are lots of different ways to communicate to them what you want them to do. If you have any specific examples/questions, please write and I'm sure everybody here will be happy to suggest things.

As far as throwing up in the car - mine was doing it regularly until about 9 months old. Luckily for me he always threw up on the floor mat. So I ended up getting a large pack of diapers and just throwing them up and replacing after each barf:) - easy and nothing to clean. What also helped mine is switching him to raw diet. Besides that he didn't eat kibble (barely), when he was throwing up, it was basically full chunks of undigested kibble. Raw (commercial raw diet) seems to be settling in much faster and makes it easier for him.
Also do frequent but short rides (as some already pointed out) - 5 minutes around the block. While riding, don't have any noise (talking, radio/music/street) and don't even talk or anything. Let her get comfortable. And once you arrived back, lots of praises (with genuine excitement in your voice - they can sense genuine from fake:)).
That leads me to another tip: you mentioned that when you hit her, you went to caress and pet and apologizing to her and etc. Remember that the way humans show affection is different from how dogs do it. You go in to kiss her face - this is actually treated as rude behavior in dogs' language. You hug her (having your arm over top) - rude. You talking to her - she doesn't understand what you are saying and it may in fact stress her out even more. Over time she will learn that all these things mean good coming from you (and maybe people in general), but as a puppy she just follows instincts and so far you are making it very stressful for her (if I'm not mistaking, and definitely you mean good, it just not the same meaning in dogs world). Just take it slowly, one little thing at a time, with lots of patience and love:).

Good luck! (post her picture:) so we can see the troublemaker.. hehe)

#20 ·
Back to the egg carton thing...swallowing small amts of brown cardboard isn't going to kill her but if she really is eating it vs just shredding then probably not a good idea.

Treat dispenser toys, kongs, bully sticks, beef bones, antlers...some ideas

As for putting her away for her own time out, or because you need one, I agree not to make it seem like a punishment. But if you can't do rainbows a butterflies right then, whatever. If you have to quietly scoop her up and plunk her in the pen to keep from losing it and whacking her, no problem. She'll survive. Also, dogs often learn well from social isolation when they have broken social rules. (Use daddy for a chew toy and lose my privileges)

I have even used it when mine barks and doesn't respond to my warning to be quiet. First I will check it out, if nothing out there I say thanks it's fine, quiet now. If he doesn't let it go he gets put in his crate till he is quiet. Have not had to repeat this more than once. Very calm about it just take him by the collar, to the crate, come back in 5 minutes when he has settled down. So he knows running his mouth gets him put away. Yours is a lot younger so expect more repititions, less maturirty and minimal impulse control :) it is a toddler with a mouth full of needles :)

I am NOT impressed with the skills of my local petco dog trainer. He seems to be a nice person but I just don't see any skill at reading and responding to the dog. An out of control puppy class might do more harm than good. Maybe watch a class without your dog and see how it seems? If puppies are all on leash and they are training with food then it probably should be fine. I can't fathom paying 800 for puppy class....

#21 ·
Sometimes I go to Petco with Asher for socialization/proper greeting practice. (Asher hasn't gotten the memo that GSDs are supposed to be aloof). One day, the trainer came running over to see Asher because he loves GSDs. He showed me pictures of his GSD which he has trained/certified for search and rescue. He does protection work and says he wants to start a schutzhund club in our area, which I sure wish he would do. I didn't take classes with him (as I had already committed myself elsewhere, and Petco is generally not the best), but maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to talk to the trainer and observe a class as Cowboygirl said. But anyway, yeah, at those prices, I would be training on my own also or going to Petco. (Unless the dog was going to eat my baby or something, haha).

#23 ·
Ok, what is done, is done. The dog is over it. You need to get over it too. We all make mistakes.

Think of it this way, if you step on your dog's toe, it hurts a whole lot more than a smack, and the dog isn't going to hold it against you forever. Dogs can take pain, but we want for them to trust us, and continual abuse by humans will make that not happened. Not a single incident.

But, it sounds like you are overwhelmed right now with the puppy.

First thing, buy an extra -tall aluminum baby gate with vertical slats -- not the cheap one with a grid, puppies climb those. Baby gates are great because you can put them in their safe place, where they are still a part of everything going on, she just can't get to you to nip and bite. Use this when she can't seem to settle, won't stop the biting. You need a break too. Putting her in a room and shutting the door is not a good thing because that isolates her. And this is not a punishment, just pick her up and put her in her area. You need a break.

While you are waiting for that to arrive, find some dog training classes. NOT puppy free-for-all classes. You want a puppy basic obedience class. You do not want a class that allows puppy to run together and play with each other. A good trainer can help you get a handle on most puppy issues, while being successful in the class will help you and your puppy build a good and proper bond.

If you pinch my cheeks, I will snap at you too. Yes they are cute. But there is good canine touch, and stuff that shouldn't be done. You need to learn what she likes, the touches she likes, being scratched behind the ears or on the but, a belly rub maybe. These are terms of endearment from you to her, what you need to do is cater to what she likes, and let her dictate this. Really, this is all she should be dictating. Everything else is your choice. Down the line you might study your dog's strengths and weaknesses to decide what kind of things you might want to do with her. But for the most part, what she eats, who she is ok with, how she behaves, where she is allowed to go -- all of these you dictate.

Puking is involuntary. Being angry about that is unreasonable. And for a 12 week old puppy, pooping, might also be involuntary. In any case, the expectations there were unrealistic. Certainly it is frustrating. If you need to take the dog in the car again, don't feed breakfast. Dog won't die, and there is less to throw up or poop out. You can feed her when you get home. Also, try to be matter of fact, and put her in a crate in the car. Don't give her the run of the car.

A lot of times dogs have a problem with something, excited urination, or nervous urination, car sickness, fear aggression toward other dogs, etc, and our response to these things can actually turn a minor unpleasantness into a major issue. If we yell at or berate a dog for any of these things, it will increase the anxiety as now the dog is also worried about what you are going to do. On the other hand, if you just say, Eh! and move on when the dog barks at another dog, the dog will be like "Oh, shouldn't have done that, dog isn't eating me, my owner has this covered." The next time time he sees a dog, he might start to react, and you are ready with a quick EH! and a jerk to move on, and the dog doesn't get the chance to get into that routine. Of course for car sickness and puppy accidents, just clean it up. For excited urination, try to keep comings and goings low key, clean up messes and don't react.

This part you aren't going to like. But it has to be said. Most of the problems we have with puppies are due to discipline. We have to discipline ourselves to provide the following for our dog:

1. Management.
2. Leadership.
3. Training.
4. Exercise.
5. Socialization.

1. Management, we have to provide a safe environment for the puppy whether we are at home, in the car, or away from home. We manage things rather than get upset when the puppy is a puppy and eats the couch or the garbage. We do not need to lose our mind when the puppy does something scary stupid, because we have kept her safe. We have crated her or put her in her puppy proof area when we cannot supervise. We have kept the counters clear, and the garbage out of her way. We prevent other dogs from getting into her space when we are on walks. We keep her on lead so she doesn't get run over.

2. Leadership, we need to provide consistent and reasonable boundaries for the puppy. We have to have reasonable expectations for her behavior. We need to have confidence, and provide clear positive and negative communication with the puppy so that he will learn to trust us.

3. Training, we need to train our puppy. It helps to build the bond of trust. We need to follow some basic rules -- don't repeat commands, say it one time, then help your dog do it if necessary, then praise; be consistent with your terms and your body language; always follow through -- this stuff is not optional; don't give a command if you cannot enforce it -- that teaches them that they can ignore us; start and end training sessions with something fun that they will be successful with, and praise them; keep training short and up-beat.

4. Exercise, puppies must be exercised in both mind and body. Going for walks can be exercise. Throwing the ball can be good exercise. Swimming can be good exercise. Several different training venues offer exercise. A tired puppy is a good puppy. Some things that are exercise can ramp a pup up: playing tug, running free for all with other dogs, wrestling with the puppy -- you can do these things, but you should have good leadership and stop the game when YOU want to. At some point using your pups instincts, like nosework or herding as well, can be a great outlet.

5. Socialization, I put this last because I think a lot of people often try to do too much too soon, and screw this up major. 100 people places and things by 16 weeks, Ick! What is important is that the puppy experience new things while he feels comfortably safe, and those things do not make for a bad day. So the puppy needs to have some confidence in the person on the other side of the leash. If you have the leash in a death grip as a toddler approaches, it would be better if she did not experience a toddler. A little is a lot, it does not help to flood a puppy, that will just overwhelm them.

The owner needs to be disciplined in all of this stuff. It sounds like a lot, but it gets easier. It gets to be second nature. The owner needs to learn to act before the puppy reacts. Teach the puppy some basic skills, sit, down, stay, and maybe some tricks, give paw! -- tricks should be fun, fun, fun. Then when you step out to meet people, you decide whether the person who asks if they can pet your puppy can. Tell, your puppy to SIT, Tell your puppy to shake or Give Paw. End any interaction with strangers on your terms, before the puppy has had too much. I just say, "Thank you, that's all we do for now, we're still learning."

Of course your puppy should be ok with strangers at this point. It shouldn't be protective at all yet. Scared maybe, and that can look a lot like protective. But 12-13 week old puppies are just starting to get it that these are strangers. Up to this point, they should be happy with everyone.

Another good thing to teach a dog is SPEAK (1 bark), and QUIET -- that helps when you want him to be quiet at the door, you can say, "I see them, Quiet."

HUPP -- pup jumps up onto you, and OFF. Then when you want the dog to get off of anything, use the word, OFF, and not DOWN. DOWN is to lie down.

SETTLE and or PLACE, is a good command for when you want the puppy to relax.

GENTLE -- great command for taking treats, you teach the word GENTLE with treats, making it progressively more difficult for him to get them out of your hand -- give only if he licks and is gentle. If he bites at your hand, Eh! no. Put the treat away, try again later. Take some time with this, and soon you can use the word to remind the dog to be GENTLE with your fingers, GENTLE with the baby, etc.

Good luck, we've been there. Training classes will help a lot.

#24 ·
I didn't read all 23 comments. So if this,has already been said sorry. But this is a case where smacking the pup hurt you more than the pup. The pup would have yelped looked at you like hey then moved on had you not freaked out. I look at it like this. Just like kids some dogs respond to things differently. My dog will occasionally require a slight tap on the snout if he gets,too carried away with our 12 year old. He knows that its time to chill. Most times just a HEY is all that is needed. If it bothers you find a different way to correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.