German Shepherds Forum banner

puppy stamina

897 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  popfischer 
#1 ·
my daughter recently purchased a very nice WGSL female . The pup is now 11 weeks and she would like to know when the puppy will start to show some increased stamina when walking. Right now she will just plop right down without warning. Some coaxing gets her back on her feet. Distance is not the issue. There are no worm issues. Is this normal?

I have looked and cannot find any info on this subject. Thank you

#2 ·
Hmm I never took my pup for walks when he was 11 weeks. I think a puppy that age would have much more fun playing tug or fetch in the backyard. It will also allow the pup to self regulate his exercise. You don't want to overtire the little guy.

I took my dog out for very short walks after all vaccinations were complete. However, if you want to get him use to the leash you can just let him drag the leash around the house.

#6 ·
16 weeks things will be different. But just like with you building muscle and endurance is a slow steady process. Resisting walks for multiple reasons (e.g, fear, uncertainty, not knowing what is expected) is not unusual at 11 weeks. Focus on bonding and confidence building right now. Don't know what you are thinking here but go slow, dogs growth plates need to close before really amping up endurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.