German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  dranseth 
#1 ·
I would like to inquire about the possible outcomes in coats for the offspring of the following pair of GSD.

The dad is a pure black male. His father was 95% black, with a little bit of tan on his legs.

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello,

Figured I would provide you all with an update. The puppies are almost 5 weeks old. I had first pic of the litter. This is the one I went with (had my fingers crossed for a pure black, but I still ended up picking the darkest). He is very cute.

Excited to see how his coat develops. Let me know what your thoughts/predictions are.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have another picture of the pup from when they were maybe 2 weeks old. His coat has changed so much! Lightening around the ears, and a bit on the legs. I notice his paws are black in this pic, but it looks like it might have dissappeared in the 5 week photos. Interested to see the outcome here! It really does fascinate me.

Attachments

#15 ·
Quick question: I have read numerous places that state sables tend to retain their colour just after birth (2 weeks), but to me this does not make sense. Is this confirmed, or people just estimating? So if they are lighter at birth, they tend to be lighter in adulthood? Is it just me or are all puppies born rather dark, and then they lighten up substantially?

#16 ·
Another thing I have noticed is people often recommend looking at the sire and dam when predicting the coat, but from my research their offspring can often look entirely different.

For example, if you have a light red sable bred with a pure black, the outcome is not predictable. Some of them might be very dark, some of them might be very light, some of them might be right in the middle. But the question is, are there any predictions you can make at all? Especially since in some cases the tan colour has been known to almost completely eliminate any black that the puppy had. Would this have been predicted by the early colour of the puppy?

#23 ·
The Dame is a black and tan. The sire is a pure black, with a long history of sable genetics in his pedigree. I thought to be considered a sable each hair had to have a black tip? What about the red/tan patches (legs, chest)? Looks like our boy might be patterned sable.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.