Daily schedule - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Daily schedule

This will, hopefully, be my last thread about this. The new training class will start at the end of May, so I can't bother anyone else with these questions except you guys.

I've changed some things in our daily activity after posting the follow up eye contact thread. I don't ask my pup to watch me as we walk anymore, I just let him walk and sniff what he likes (I do still train eye contact at home). It is, however, becoming an annoyance to walk like that. I really don't have the patience to wait him finish sniffing (which is never). But I want to give him the most natural and best life I can offer, so my idea is to post here my daily routine and see what you guys think of it. He is quite calm, but can be really energetic at times.

7:30/8am, we get up. He goes potty and the eats/drinks.
8am to 10am, he generally sleeps.
10am to 11:30am, we play inside, some soft tug and I give him his rawhide bone to chew on. I also let him jump over a stick (video below).
11:30 to 12pm, I go out with him and let him walk off leash (about 1.2 miles)
12pm, he eats again, goes potty, and after that he generally chews on his bone/ plays a little with toys and goes to sleep
2/3pm to 5:30pm, here I have nothing fixed, I just see what I can manage. But I always hide some treats and a stuffed kong, clicker training for 15/20min, if the weather allows it I play some fetch with him.
5:30pm to 6pm, potty and then I walk around the neighborhood. This is super annoying, because he wants to go into every garden, run to the road, sniff everything, etc. I don't have a car, so I'm mostly limited to my neighborhood.
6pm, dinner.
6:15 to 9pm, nothing fixed here. Sometimes I walk with him, depending on his energy and weather I let him go off leash for 30 min. I play a bit with him inside the house.
Around 9/10pm he is generally tired enough to sleep until 7:30am.

He has a few annoying puppy moments every day, sometimes I think it comes from being underexcercised. The weather is awful at this moment and we have a slippery floor inside the house, so I am a bit limited. That's why I started doing the jumping excersises (found it on the Internet as being a good way to tire your pup), but I wonder if it is too stressing for his joints. He jumps from an anti slip vet bed but lands on the slipery floor. Should I buy a large anti slip carpet or stop the jumping all together?
I've made a video to show you the practice:
https://youtu.be/fEJRQBoFfwQ
He (almost) never grabs something that isn't his, or destroys anything, but maybe that's because he's generally never left alone.

I will start using a flirt pole soon. I am still looking for a large enough field nearby where I can make run him around me while holding a field line. Most, if not all, fields in my neighborhood are prohibited for dogs.
I've included two pictures. One is of where I walk with him off leash, the other one is an example of where I walk with him. As you can see that field is prohibited for dogs.

Thank you in advance for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461929359053.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	363098   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1461929425131.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	363114  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page