Too much time with my puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too much time with my puppy?

Hey folks. Just wanted to get some opinions. I have an 8 week old GS puppy (got her Wednesday )

I am disabled so I'm home basically ALL the time. I have a crate and x-pen that I'm using for her but she has already grown quite attached to me (this makes me very happy btw)

But, because I want to do what is best for her, I thought I'd throw this question out there.

Is there any danger in spending SO much time with her?

Unless I'm in the shower, bathroom at the doctor, etc. she is right by me or with me. Even in the x-pen, she lays down by the rail closest to me (it's about 2 feet from my chair)

To be clear, she sleeps in her crate at night which is in our living room. So she is separated from me for around 7-8 hours a night (other than the late night potty breaks)

So what say you? Am I hurting her in any way?

To.
tcastlejr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMHO as long as she's getting exercise and is not just penned or crated up then I think you can't go wrong. On a side not consider Bogie and Bacall no issues there spending too much time together!
RZZNSTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZZNSTR View Post
IMHO as long as she's getting exercise and is not just penned or crated up then I think you can't go wrong. On a side not consider Bogie and Bacall no issues there spending too much time together!
She is definitely getting exercised. I'm disabled, not bed ridden (just teasing.. no way you could know)

Have no idea what Bogie and Bacall is?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm home most of the time too. Gone for an hour or two max, except for every two weeks I'm gone for 4-6 hours.

Hasn't bothered mine - she had free run of the house at 5 months of age. Very well behaved in the house and maybe my being here so much has helped that I had eyes in the back of my head listening for those "too quiet times" when she was in another room.

I would look at it as a win win. You have time to train really good house manners at an early age. Just pay very close attention though. Don't get reticent and let them get away with stuff.

Are you out and about where you can take her for exposure to different people and the neighborhood?
Stonevintage is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
I'm home most of the time too. Gone for an hour or two max, except for every two weeks I'm gone for 4-6 hours.

Hasn't bothered mine - she had free run of the house at 5 months of age. Very well behaved in the house and maybe my being here so much has helped that I had eyes in the back of my head listening for those "too quiet times" when she was in another room.

I would look at it as a win win. You have time to train really good house manners at an early age. Just pay very close attention though. Don't get reticent and let them get away with stuff.

Are you out and about where you can take her for exposure to different people and the neighborhood?
Hey SV
Yes, she will be going all kinds of places to socialize.

Glad to hear that it wasn't an issue for you. Gives me hope it won't be for me.

Tom
Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I don't think you can spend too much time with your puppy. They are pack animals, and genetically programmed to be part of a pack.

Though being part of a human pack, they do need to accept the fact that sometimes they have to be alone. Good so far that you crate at night.

I would start getting her used to being left alone a bit during the day too. Start by crating her for naps, or just because, at different times of the day, for different time periods.

Get her gradually used to being alone while you are gone - you can start with half an hour or so and build up. At this age she shouldn't be crated more than two or three hours at a time (outside of being crated overnight).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcastlejr View Post
Hey SV
Yes, she will be going all kinds of places to socialize.

Glad to hear that it wasn't an issue for you. Gives me hope it won't be for me.

Tom
She'll bond to you and your lifestyle and be happy. No worries
Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
At this age she shouldn't be crated more than two or three hours at a time (outside of being crated overnight).
Thanks for posting.

She's never in the crate any longer than 2-3 hours. Even at night, at this point in her potty training, I'm up every 2 to 2 1/2 hours to take her to pee. So far, anything longer and she goes in the crate.

I will be trying 3 hours tonight.

As a side note, she's only whining and whimpering for 2 to 3 minutes when I crate her for bed now. A very fast improvement over the first 2 nights.

Tom
Old 01-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

LOL! Because I was home too and didn't have to work - I was out with mine at 9-2-6 thru our normal sleep time. I made a comment here that I came to enjoy the stars and quiet of the neighborhood during those few weeks

I was in heaven when I only had to get up once (around 1am) and was totally feeling like royalty when I got 8 hours sleep But, it's only for a few weeks and it pays off - earlier potty training
Old 01-25-2016, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am recently retired, and our dogs are in heaven having 24/7 time with us! No GSDs as yet ( ) but there will be in my future again, once my old guys go to the Bridge. I think as long as they are exposed to various people, places, and situations, you and your dog should do great!
maxtmill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.