Puppy killed bunny - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Puppy killed bunny

I called her away from the screaming bunny. She came in the house. Good dog. Nope, she then pushed the door open and went right back, scooped it up and began tearing around the yard. I did not pannick.Tried to call her over but she was no longer hearing me as she consumed the entire rabbit. Not ill effects except blood all over her face.
1. Will she be dangerous with small animals now that she has had a taste?
2. Should I get extra dewormer?

Thanks

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
James Thurber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

I had one dog eat a young rabbit. No ill effects except my displeasure. Talk to your vet (a phone call should get you the answer you need.)
No I don't think she will be dangerous with the pets she is used to. A wild beast or two, maybe.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Knighted Member

Rabbits can be Lepto carriers. Eating them isn't how its normally transmitted though. Your vet will now whether your region has been seeing Lepto in the environment.

If your pooch is vaccinated for that, that's good (though the vax isn't complete protection) -- maybe ask the vet whether a booster may be a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

She just started her raw diet! Your vet will probably tell you that it is dangerous and might have her throw up this good meat and give her Science Diet instead .
Of course it will increase her prey drive with this success. I wouldn't trust any young GSD with small animals until trained not to eat them.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 08-12-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

The only danger will be for the next bunny she happens across.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for posting already. My other GSD just walked away after the excitement of catching it. So I was a bit surprised by this young pup. How to train to leave it while I have her chasing the tug?

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
James Thurber
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

I once had a Full grown St Bernard eat a rabbit. He died. They said it was from some kind of disease that rabbits carry(I don't think it was Lepto).

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Knighted Member

I second Lilie's comment.

I know that Kyleigh has a high prey drive, but I've worked on impulse control, and she does very well - WHEN I'M AROUND.

In the house, she is fine with the cat (do NOT trust her or the parrot with each other).

Ky has successfully caught and rapidly killed 2 squirrels and a chipmunk in my backyard.

(My other "thankfulness" is that she kills them FAST, so I don't have to finish the job, because I don't know if I could.)

She does "monitor" the tree and the fence on a regular basis, but I can call her off no problem. The three times she has managed to catch and kill? I had run into the house for a couple of minutes - the critters must have thought it was safe for them to come down ... oopps!

I have had ZERO issues getting her to drop the critter, and then I put it in a ziplock back and toss it in the garbage can.

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:13 AM

No I wouldn't encourage it, but that's doing what dogs do. I did save some bunnies and a baby robin from our dog earlier in the Summer.

With the hawk nest we had out front those baby bunnies are likely long gone. It's almost a 'dog eat dog' would out there for critters.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Master Member

Yikes, llombardo! I have been feeding raw rabbit to my dogs, though, it is through a BARF company and I know they super-freeze the products for health reasons.

My dog gets lepto immunization--especially since Karlo got sick and my area is at risk.

I wouldn't trust my guy with bunnies or loose cats outside.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page