Puppy from Woods: TICKS and tips! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Puppy from Woods: TICKS and tips!

I currently have an adopted 1 year old GSD/husky mix who we have raised and is well trained and very well socialized. Yesterday my friend called me and said she found what she thought was a GSD puppy in the woods. I now have the puppy and he is not in the best condition, but not terrible. He is definitely underweight and very boney. I'm guessing he's anywhere from 7-9 weeks olds probably depending on his size and just by comparing pictures from other puppies around that age. He does not have fleas, but he has a TON of ticks. I already pulled off about 15 on this little guy. We found an all natural shampoo that was for ticks and said puppies of any age can use, but it didn't help much. We already set up a vet appointment for Tuesday, but I am just wondering if anyone know any other things that could help. We introduced the puppy to my current 1 year old, and my mothers 3 year old GSD, and 13 year old longhair GSD and the puppy seemed playful and not scared at all. I have looked at all local listings of missing puppies and no GSD puppies are listed. We had not planned on getting another dog until next year, but this little bundle of joy showed up. Our 1 year old is no longer needing his crate and can be trusted out on his own, so that's a positive, but if anyone has any tips on how to get acclimated to having two dogs, I would love some advice! Trying to get the puppy acclimated to his crate and his new family. We have had him for about 24 hours now and he has not had an accident in the house and follows us around and is not scared. He even seems to like the cat! Both of my GSDs are boys.
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy from Woods: TICKS and tips!-screen-shot-2015-07-12-11.07.45-am.jpg   Puppy from Woods: TICKS and tips!-screen-shot-2015-07-12-11.07.54-am.jpg   Puppy from Woods: TICKS and tips!-screen-shot-2015-07-12-11.08.04-am.jpg   Puppy from Woods: TICKS and tips!-screen-shot-2015-07-12-11.07.59-am.jpg  
madicloer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi. What a nice looking pup..and dog.
The puppy looks really young.
Maybe your vet will know how to help you with finding his owner.
Hope all goes well. Good luck!
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also, please test him for Lyme disease. The sooner it's detected and treated the better the outcome.
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The only way I've found to get rid of ticks is to hand pick them. Tedious, frustrating, but effective.

Puppies can integrate quite well. May that be the case in your household.
middleofnowhere is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

ALSO! I was wondering if I should be feeding him more than the recommended amount since he is underfed and very skinny.
madicloer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice looking pup, in need of a good home too. I'd make room if no one is looking, likely not considering the age and how you got him.

You will never get all the ticks off just by looking and picking. I'd use a weight appropriate dose of 'Atvantix'. There may be a minimum age with it also. Much depends on where the dog will be, some hardly leave the carpet, others are out in the woods.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicloer View Post
ALSO! I was wondering if I should be feeding him more than the recommended amount since he is underfed and very skinny.
The vet will tell you approx. how old he is and exactly how much to feed him.
Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicloer View Post
I'd suggest against overfeeding in attempt to 'catch up'. The pup will be fine in no time with the proper amount of food and care.
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.