This Is More Difficult Than I Thought - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default This Is More Difficult Than I Thought

I will, fingers crossed, be getting a sable working line male puppy at the end of April. Since the pup have been born I thought I'd starting coming up with some possible names.

I thought it would be pretty easy, but it is not, lol. I want something unique, who doesn't, that means something to me yet isn't so far out there that I have to spend 10 minutes trying to explain it to someone. I keep coming up with names that I like, but then the next day I'm back on the fence. I'm really hoping inspiration comes as the puppies get beyond the fuzzy sausage stage, lol.

So far my short list includes:

Thorin - I'm a LOTR/Hobbit fan and I really like this name, though I don;t want to end up nicknaming him Thor since I know a few dogs named that.

Castle- I like how it rolls of the tongue, plus I am a Castle fan. The likely nickname would be Cas and I'm not a fan of that.

North- I like that it is unique, but the softer th doesn't have a lot of punch at the end.

Pilot - Jane Eyre reference, but I worry most would think I like planes or something.

Fenris - From Norse mythology, a giant wolf. I think I like the reference more than the name. I'm just not sure about how it sounds out loud.
Bramble is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ferris, very unique. Also, Dyson...
Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Ugh I know the feeling of choosing names! Getting my puppy in less than a week and I still haven't decided on a name!
I'm choosing between:
Carlo
Hudson
Axel
Bella67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

If you name the pup North people might think you're a Kardashian fan...

I always thought it was Fenrir for norse mythology-the wolf who's murders Odin and whose death helps bring about the end of the world.

My vote would be for Pilot, Thornin, or Fenrir.

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL It's terrible finding a name!!! I have an S litter and wanted his call name and registered to be the same. It took me forever, a long list, checking pedigreedatabase to see if the name had been used often and a lot of checking pronunciation on How to pronounce in then having it approved by his breeder.

Seger - Old English for sea warrior.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrg4 View Post
If you name the pup North people might think you're a Kardashian fan...

I always thought it was Fenrir for norse mythology-the wolf who's murders Odin and whose death helps bring about the end of the world.

My vote would be for Pilot, Thornin, or Fenrir.
I was thinking the same thing about north too ;-)

I like Pilot...

You are a lotr fan? What about

Gandalf the grey hahah (that would be so cute)
Smeagle
Bilbo
Sauron

Okay those names might be pretty bad but they are kind of cute too ;-) just my two cents :-) I am a prison break fan and I wanted to name Captain : Theodore Bagwell but my husband wouldn't let me so we went with Captain Rambone. I tend to gravitate towards silly names. :-p
Old 03-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, nicknames annoy me. I love Thorin, but like you said, most people would want to call him Thor, and you may even find yourself calling him Thor from time to time.

Castle, again, I love the name and the inspiration! Cas isn't a horrible nickname, but it conjures a more feminine (Cassie) in my brain.

Fenris! I love! Even Fen sounds good if you were to shorten Fenris as a nickname.

Just to toss out another idea or a few...

Dante - The Italian philosopher/poet
Ares - Greek god of war
Mars - Roman god of war
Faust - Magician
Titan - A giant
Theseus - Ancient king of Athens
Wiley - Coyote

Most of those are a bit difficult to shorten, as well... Titan could be Ty.. Theseus could be Thees (hard S sound at the end).

Anyway, just thinking aloud
Asten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having difficulty coming up with a name, lol.

Okay then North is off the list. See this is what makes naming so difficult. I obviously know nothing about the Kardashians.

I've seen Fenris/Fenrir spelled both ways.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice
Bramble is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

My husband is probably the only person I've ever known who actually had a name picked out before his puppy was born! He loves all things Star Trek, and his favorite character from the series Star Trek: Voyager is B'Elanna Torres, the half Klingon, half human. So that was her name before they even chose each other
Asten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry too much about uniqueness or the nickname other people will give your dog. The world is so huge, I guarentee someone else will have the name. And any name you come up with will trigger a reference/meaning for someone else that isn't the same as what you associate it with. I think you should pick a name you like and means something to you. If you don't like the nickname version just never call him that.

I can definitely understand the impulse to pick something special and uncommon! I do teh same thing! I just wouldn't agonize over it becuase I think you'll drive yourself crazy I csrtainly started to when I was name picking.

When I decided I wanted to get a black sable or dark sable male, I decided I would name him Grimm. I liked that it was a reference to the German fairy tales and since GSD are a bit wolf like in appearance thought it was perfect. I also thought I was pretty clever and original... Oops. I joined her and see several other people have the same name. So my future pup will have the same name as several other people on this forum, but I am ok with that because I am attached to the name and it has meaning for me. Others might think I named him off the Grimm in Harry Potter XD

Side note, when I was going to get a Doberman before I decided on a GSD, I was going to name him Hook, like Captain Hook. I'm sure people would shave thought of all sorts of funny associations involving fishing!

I'm sure you'll pick the perfect name! As you mentioned, I'd also pick something that rolls off the tongue. I think three or more syllabals becomes a mouthful to say over and over. I think all the names you are considering could be great!
Persinette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.