Lots of questions about my new puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lots of questions about my new puppy

Hello!

I purchased my new puppy a week ago, and now have a few questions about german shepherds. I have helped to raise my american eskimo puppy when I was a kid, but obviously german shepherds are quite different so any help would be greatly appreciated!

For one, what toys and bones are good for a 12 week old puppy? He has been destroying nearly everything i give him! He doesn't care for normal nylabones either..just the edible ones that only last a day. O.o I have been considering ordering antlers. He also liked his plush toys..but they are already dead. Anyone know of any super tough ones?

Any good tricks to keep him from chewing shoes, the couch, etc? So far I just say no, move his mouth away, and stuff a toy in his mouth. Sometimes he gets it, other times he's super stubbourn.

Lastly, I want to know everyone's opinion on neutering..I feel he should be, while my husband does not. Does it make a huge behavioral difference in this breed, or not so much?
AliBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine had an antler when he was little, which he liked very much. If we wanted him to relax a bit, I could just give it to him and he'd chew for a long time. I heard bullysticks are good too, but I have never tried them. Kongs and other hard rubber toys are great because they last a long time, and if you stuff them with food it will entertain your dog for about an hour.
As for chewing furniture, what we did was redirect him, and if he chose to be stubborn he got a time out in his crate.
We neutered our dog at about 7 months, which was before he had any age-related bad behaviour, so I don't know how they are if they're not neutered. Personally, though, I believe that all dogs should be unless for a specific purpose.
Jayfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

General Puppy Stuff - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Look into the threads at the top - most will answer your questions

When to spay/neuter? 6 months? 18 months? Never?
Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!)
Puppy 101 -Preparing my house/life for a NEW PUPPY!
5 Best 10 Week Old GSD Puppy Toys
Chew toys for a 4 month old puppy
Help with chewing furniture!

Last edited by qbchottu; 01-20-2015 at 04:25 PM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Butters is pretty picky about nylabones too, but she LOVES all things raw. We get her big soup bones to chew on and it's a great way for her to distract her from wanting to knaw on other things, plus it's really good for the teeth.

As for plush toys, I haven't been able to find anything that lasts an especially long time, so I'd recommend just buying a bunch of stuffing-free toys (unless the puppy is supervised enough that you can remove the stuffing once they get it out) in bulk.

Teaching your pup bite inhibition will help with the landsharking, but it may be awhile before they leave your clothes/shoes alone. We've been teaching it to Butters for over a month now and she still likes to tug on our clothes..

Neutering is a hot topic on dog forums, but if you ask me, you should have him fixed. Even if you're watchful and try to make sure he doesn't create any accidental litters, stuff happens. There are also some potential behavioral issues than can pop up in dogs that aren't neutered, and possible health issues are also a concern.

To me, the question isn't if you should neuter, but rather when. Take the time to look up the pros and cons, try to find websites that aren't biased (or as neutral as you can get, anyways), see which option will work best for you and your dog.
- The Dog: Butters, the black & silver German Shepherd pup
Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, glad to hear yours liked the antler. Ill order one then. I did give him a bully stick yesterday..thats long gone.

I'll give the crate time outs a try for stubbourness. Thanks for the repy!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Augustine - raw soup bones wouldn't upset the puppy's stomach? And do i just hunt down a butcher to get one?

And yea, aside from possible behavior issues, I worry about accidental litters as well; however my husband is convinced we shouldn't because he finds it cruel.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBunny View Post
Augustine - raw soup bones wouldn't upset the puppy's stomach? And do i just hunt down a butcher to get one?

And yea, aside from possible behavior issues, I worry about accidental litters as well; however my husband is convinced we shouldn't because he finds it cruel.
Check out Dr Beckers video in this thread regarding spay/neuter.
Dr. Becker: The Truth About Spaying and Neutering
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not the fan of spay/neuter that I once was. Too much coming out now that says "better to wait" or "better to skip it."
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.