Brand new puppy, sleeping trouble - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brand new puppy, sleeping trouble

I recently got my first GSD who is 8 weeks old. So far very mellow and good puppy the only problem is at night. We have a crate set up in our bedroom for him to sleep in. When we put him in he does great at first, doesn't make a peep and goes right to sleep. This usually lasts for about one hour after that he continually whimpers and cries for the rest of the night. I have tried taking outside to go to the bathroom, playing with him to tire him out but nothing is seeming to work.

Any suggestions?
Kaner88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on the pup.. hope to see pictures soon!

As far as crating a puppy, just remember if he is 2 months, he should only be crated for 3 hours MAX. I believe the rule is one hour for every month their old... Dog shouldnt be left in crate more than 8 hours. I would leave him in there for 2 hours at night to get accustomed to it. Make sure he doesn't have to pee or poop and if he just wants to come out, get a bottle of water and spray the coat of the dog. then give him the sleep or place command. Dog will learn this means he has to stay. I would recommend closing a door so the puppy doesnt have access to all the house, but rather just the room where you are at. Until 4 months.

PS, little puppys cant hold it in for too long, which means you have to go outside about 2 times at night or get training pads until he can hold if for longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner88 View Post
I recently got my first GSD who is 8 weeks old. So far very mellow and good puppy the only problem is at night. We have a crate set up in our bedroom for him to sleep in. When we put him in he does great at first, doesn't make a peep and goes right to sleep. This usually lasts for about one hour after that he continually whimpers and cries for the rest of the night. I have tried taking outside to go to the bathroom, playing with him to tire him out but nothing is seeming to work.

Any suggestions?
marreromcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congratulations on the new puppy, we got Gunner at 8 weeks and had the crate right beside the bed, we took him out to pee every 1 1/2 hours at that age and if he started to whimper I would just hang my arm down the side of the bed and put my fingers in his crate he would always nibble my fingers a little and right back to sleep, I also kept a shirt in his crate that smelled like me and a couple chew toys, some people don't like to put bedding in their crates but thankfully Gunner has never been a chewer, hope this helps
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. I just want him and us to be able to sleep a little more without him learning bad habits.
Kaner88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marreromcp View Post
if he just wants to come out, get a bottle of water and spray the coat of the dog. then give him the sleep or place command.

Why? What will this accomplish?

Please don't spray a brand new puppy, especially in his crate.

The crate is supposed to be associated with positive things!

Puppy may have to go out. Take him out, quietly, no talking, no interaction, wait for him to go, back to the crate, quietly. DO NOT play with him. Nighttime is for sleeping.

If he howls right away, ignore him.

But take up the water at 7 PM and take him out for the last time at 10.
Waking you up twice a night is normal.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can say I have NEVER had to get up and take my puppies outide every 2 hours throughout the night.
As Sunflower stated...pick water up no later than 7pm. If you run to crate everytime they cry, they will never stop.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marreromcp View Post
Make sure he doesn't have to pee or poop and if he just wants to come out, get a bottle of water and spray the coat of the dog. then give him the sleep or place command.

PS, little puppys cant hold it in for too long, which means you have to go outside about 2 times at night or get training pads until he can hold if for longer.
Why are you spraying the coat with water? I'm not understanding the purpose.

Please don't put pee pads in the crate and encouraging them to pee where they sleep. It can be very difficult to break this habit once started.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

maybe put his crate in a diffrant room.
kelliewilson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I put Seger in a small crate and right on the bed. I put my fingers thru the crate door and he slept all night (well until he had to potty but would go right back to sleep)

Or try sleeping next to the crate for the next few days.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner88 View Post

Any suggestions?
I got Max at 8 weeks, my husband is a firefighter and works 24hr shifts so I didn't want our new little bundle of joy to wake him up so I slept on the couch for about a week with his crate right beside me so he could see me. Water up at 7pm , pee right before bedtime and he would sleep from 11- 3..get him out for a pee in the same spot everytime. Bring him back to his crate and tell him , its bedtime Max and he would go right back to sleep. I think repetition and consistency is very important. Hes almost 5 months and he sleeps beside my side of the bed in his crate ,from 11 till 7 every night. no fuss, no muss. Just be consistent , they are extremely intelligent dogs and he will learn very quickly. Congrats on your new boy and good luck!
Christieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.