Raising GSD pup with timid non-GSD dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raising GSD pup with timid non-GSD dogs

Hello everyone! I am seeking advice today not only on raising and training a GSD in a multi-dog household, but specifically raising them alongside a much less outgoing breed. My husband and I both had German Shepherds as children, but they were raised by our parents and always the only dog in the house. In our first year together, we adopted a severely abused Greyhound mix from a shelter and nursed him back to health. He is about 3 years old now and is a wonderful dog and LOVES all other dogs, but is not nearly as outgoing as a lot of other dogs. We adopted a male GSD pup about a month ago and we adore him, he is brilliant and learning and growing so fast! My main concerns are jealousy between the two, mainly my Greyhound and the new baby. He really loves his little brother, but is so timid that he will let him steal food and treats and toys and will just pout away. I always make sure that when one gets a treat, so does the other and I try to spend one on one time with each as often as possible. When it comes to toys, I ended up buying two of everything, but they still insist on playing with the same toy at the same time and I am concerned about them potentially fighting over toys, it seems one cannot play with a toy for even a moment without interference from the other. Also, when it comes to training the new pup, I sometimes find that my Greyhound comes and joins in and will perform the command I am asking of the puppy and makes puppy very distracted. Thankfully their energy levels are oddly similar, my Greyhound loves to run and play and is very hyper, just like pup. Also, just a side note, my pup freaks out over food, which is new to me, he howls and jumps around and spins in circles, all within the seconds it takes me to pour food. I have been making him sit and be quiet in order to actually put the bowl down and get the food, but he still freaks out in the process. Anyone else run into this? My GSD pup is about 12 or 13 weeks. Thanks for any advice J
kacies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm hoping to hear the advice about the toy issue myself. Both of mine are German Shepherds though. I know I should keep the toys put away if I'm not actively playing with, but I don't. Just special toys used in training. The 10 week old puppy doesn't have run of the house, is crated or in the x pen when I'm not 100% focused on him. And if I notice tempers rising high I say enough and crate both dogs.
crickets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a greyhound mix that thinks he can take whatever toy he wants. No more toys out. I give them a toy and ride their butts to keep the one I gave them.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a similar personality difference between my two dogs,a 9mth Gsd and a 2yr old husky mix.They have made a game of stealing toys from each other and one will prod the other's muzzle with a toy and play "who can keep it the longest".If the rowdy teenaged Gsd starts getting too rough I separate them until they calm down.When Samson was tiny I used to sit on the floor with both dogs and gently encourage them to play together.
As for the food excitement,every dog I've ever had has acted like that for the first few weeks!I thought it was just me?I did the same as you,waiting for a few seconds of calmness before feeding.
dogma13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for writing back! I am going to implement a toy box and not have the toys out all the time as suggested, which is a great idea! Thank you!
One thing that came up today is that I am trying to teach my GSD pup to fetch, I have never done this with my Greyhound because he never showed any interest in it. With the Greyhound, he likes long walks and likes to run really fast around but then he's done and wants to sleep. But now that I am trying to train the pup, suddenly he is involved, now teaching fetch has turned into them stealing the ball from each other and not wanting to bring it to me. Has anyone out there tried to teach two dogs to fetch? I think that I will teach them separately, but for those out there with more than one dog, how do you handle trips to the park?
On a side note, I am teaching pup to fetch in the high hopes that he will finally get tired. Vet said due to his age (12 ish weeks) I should limit walks to 20 mins as his joints are still developing. But even 3 or 4 of these a day does not seem to be enough, even with training and puzzle toys and games. He is just always seems bored, so I hope this will add to my ways to make him tired.
kacies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I am training one dog, the others are put away in a crate or elsewhere. I train at a park too, and at the point of the morning where we are doing training (vs walking), the other dogs are crated or left in the car (I have 3 dogs, 2 crates in the car - my 10 yr old is the crateless one).

Once my dogs are playing fetch on their own, I occasionally have more than one dog out at once (if that is what I am doing - I never have multiple dogs out when doing any sort of obedience training). But, I usually have at 3 (or more) identical balls out and am sending them off in different directions.

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nothing wrong with them playing and stealing toys from each other,it's good fun for them and great expertise.Like the previous poster said, actual training sessions should be done separately.Have fun and have patience,sounds like your dogs are bonding just fine.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Experience not expertise!Darned autocorrect!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just a few considerations... You might already be doing this.

The toys belong to you... Not the dogs...

You should put away all the toys.. They get to play with the toys only with you...

Your dogs can have chew toys to themselves when they are in your presence only... You intervene if they get rowdy over a toy..

Toys can trigger dog fights...
It also makes toys more interesting to the dog than you are...
You want your dog to be engaged with you... Toys are a way to do this... They associate toys and playtime with you.
This makes reward based training a lot more effective.

Last edited by Lykoz; 01-03-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Lykoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.