Beds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beds

I am trying to allow our GS to sleep in our bedroom but on the floor. She is starting to get tall enough to jump
On the bed. Does anyone have hints as to how I can stop her jumping on the bed please?
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Mine is allowed on the bed, but he has been taught that his dog bed is a good place to be if I don't want him crashing with me for any reason. I mainly just did that by giving him any of his long lasting chews or toys on his bed. Any bully sticks, bones, or Kongs are given on his bed. If he tries to take it off, I take up the chew for a minute, then give it back to him on his bed. He learns that his bed is the only place he can chew them and consequently he likes to hang out there.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

i steer clear of any training advice that i haven't personally experienced. my dogs are always welcome on the bed. i have the dogs trained not to counter or table surf. that just took a lot of "off" commands. barely big enough to jump on a bed it must be a young puppy. does it know the basic commands yet, no, off, down, sit, stay, leave it, come ect...? if so, tell it off everytime it jumps up. if not the pup may be better off sleeping in a crate next to the bed. that's really all i got. hopefully someone can help out more.
scarfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi. So far she only knows sit and stay. Riley is 4 months old and we are working mob other commands. I do try no and down but we haven't mastered them yet hence my bed being invaded in the night and my foot or face being locked or nibbled to wake me up
Old 11-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe I should point out, I have a medical condition that gets worse with lack of sleep. This is the main reason for her not sleeping in the bed. I'm trying not to make her sleep outdoors but if I don't see this quite soon, sadly I'll have no choice
Old 11-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

why don't you just have riley sleep in a crate next to your bed?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sadly I can't buy crates here. The closest I can get are the large plastic ones similar to the travel boxes. As we are in east Africa I'm worried it might get too warm inside it
Old 11-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

we use the plastic airline type crates! it also gets over 100F 38C here in the summer which is hot. we have an air conditioner though so it's always 70F 21C in the summer indoors. it gets a lot hotter in florida and texas and plastic crates are noblem.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I got my pup last week - crate trained for sleep and time outs in the lounge room when I do to do things. You can buy the crates on line - just get extra large - put their fav toys in there - initially put their water and food in their for the day so they want to go in there or chews. He cried for 10 minutes the first two afternoons then settled down to sleep. at night first nights cried on and off for first two hours - then next night 10 minutes - then nothing for the rest of the week and two nights ago took himself to bed and during the evening in the lounge - sometimes still goes on the mat in the lounge. He now chooses to go in the crate on and off during the day. I have to crate train him as I go away here and there and needed to have him go to his crate when he stays at my parents place so he has a place to sleep as the laundry is occupied with their other dog. If you can do this - they see it as their den and a place to get uninterupted.
vicster71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.