Potty training while living in a high rise? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Potty training while living in a high rise?

We're about 4 weeks out from getting our next puppy. We live on the 7th floor of a high rise in the city. We have no balcony, and the dogs are only allowed in the 2 freight elevators (which makes the wait for the elevator sometimes 5+ minutes). The stairs, are on the other side of the building (other hall) and then 7 floors of winding stairs to finally reach outside.

I know that potty training is going to be a daunting task this time around...

Any suggestions? Ideas? Anyone have any experience with potty training in a high rise? Obviously, I will be taking her out as frequently as I can, but I know in the middle of the night, when they gotta go, they gotta go NOW. I can't expect a tiny puppy to hold it for at least 5 minutes once we leave the condo.

I was going to maybe try that indoor grass patch, just until the puppy can hold it a tad longer? I just worry about then transitioning to outside only. I have another dog who never pees inside, so maybe she'll catch on..
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Or Betlin might like the indoor pee patch hopefully you can figure it out before the snow and ice come. I wish you lots of luck.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Or Betlin might like the indoor pee patch hopefully you can figure it out before the snow and ice come. I wish you lots of luck.
Hah yeah! Thats what I was thinking'....He might be like...'hey, what the heck is this grass doing inside my home?! Dis is mine'

Sigh, yeah I hope I figure it out before then too. We get her mid November so....it will most likely already be miserable out there!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is a good thread on that topic: House training in an apartment

I remember coming across it back when I thought I might have to do the same, and I believe there is some insight from some others who have had a puppy in a high rise.

I have a friend who has done the puppy pad/outdoor combo twice (non-GSDs) in apartment buildings. It worked beautifully with her first, not so much with her second. I think her biggest challenge with the second dog was communicating the clear "got to go!" = "rush outside immediately" to the dog because of having to take four flights of stairs, but her second dog is also a toy breed with a reputation for being trickier to house train, so your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.