My puppy is really concerning me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My puppy is really concerning me

Our puppy is a German Shepard/Bull mastiff. He is almost 14 weeks old and we got him from a shelter about 5 days ago. For the first couple of days he mainly just slept, which we found out was normal. And now he doesn't sleep a lot but he just lays around. And he doesn't even want to lay around us, he will got to a room by himself. He doesn't want to follow me around or even seems very excited to see me. Me and my husband are wondering if he's happy here. We also feel like he's really bored. It's just me and my husband and we can't take him to the dog park or anything because he hasn't had all his shots. We're not sure what to do to entertain him or to make him happier.
He's also peeing everywhere even though i've taken him out twice in the past 2 hours. Do I not make his water available and only give him some every now and then?
The shelter we got him from also neutered him but when he gets excited sometime he still gets an erection. I thought this was supposed to go away once he was neutered?
He also likes to bite a lot. We try to redirect him with toys but he doesn't really want to play with his toys. Every time we go to play with one he'll take it from us and take it back to his cage but never really play with it. And I did research on how you're supposed to ignore them but he doesn't seem to really care about being ignored. I feel like he'd rather be alone anyways.

I know it was a lot but i'm really worried about all this stuff. I want him to love us and be a great dog when he's older. We've signed him up for training classes but they don't start until the 11th.
Kzjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Has he seen a vet yet? I'd do that first just to make sure it's nothing medical. He shouldn't be sleeping 24/7, even at that age.

Forget the dog park. I wouldn't bring him even if he had all of his shots. I never bring my dogs to dog parks. Just do a search for "dog park" on this site and you'll see how bad those places can be to bring a young and impressionable dog.

When he's old enough, get him in a puppy class. I think you can start bringing them around 16 weeks. Skip the petco and petsmart classes. Try to find a good training facility.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Give him time.

You only got him 5 days ago. Keep things fun and positive, and take him out every 30 minutes.

Dog parks are the worst invention ever, your dog needs you, not random undisciplined dogs running amok.

Just give him time to adjust, he will be fine.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's what we have him signed up for is puppy classes. We have taken him to the vet and they said that a puppy could sleep up to 20 hours a day and that it was normal. He's also part bull mastiff and they are very lazy dogs. I've never had a dog before so I just don't know how lazy...
Kzjones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Give him time to adjust. All dogs are different. Toys may not be his thing. Getting him outside and walking with you and teaching focus or "look at me" as well as mental stimulation trough training may be what this type dog needs. Right now he is a confused little baby trying to figure things out. You need to guide him
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

hi gator !
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

op, sit with him while sleeping an pet him a bit. a flavorful treat while doing this will help.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am a novice here but I have 12 week old german shepherd puppies so I feel a great deal of empathy for your situation. How is your pup's appetite? If he has a good appetite I would provide high-value treats to him. Maybe he just needs time and lots of positive reinforcement (and good treats) for him to trust you and your husband. You've only had him 5 days and he's a baby! Even though you can't take him to public places, you can put him on a leash and walk him in places without other dogs….and carry treats with you ALL THE TIME. Stuff baby kongs (the light blue ones) with yogurt or peanut butter or cream cheese and freeze them. Give him a frozen kong every day (maybe in the evening when he's getting ready for bed). Just sit quietly by him while he eats and talk to him gently and give him pets. Also, consider buying little bully sticks, knuckle bones, etc from a pet food store (or knuckle bones from a butcher). Go slowly and earn his trust.
Others on this forum may have different opinions but that's what I would do…..earn his trust and give him a chance to become more self-confident…and NEVER be cruel to him. Don't let him know you are upset when he has an accident. That breaks his little spirit. When you take him out to potty, make sure you take him to the spot you want him to use and then tell him to "go potty" or whatever term you choose to use. Be consistent with that phrase. And when he goes potty, praise him like crazy (happy dance, clap hands, happy voice, and give him a treat immediately (as soon as his pee stream stops). He wants to please you. He does not do anything out of spite….but he doesn't understand your language yet. Good luck. I know it's exhausting but it can get much better within just a few days with positive reinforcement for good behavior…remember, punishing bad behavior produces bad results…..help him be successful at all times….and avoid all failure.
Jake and Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

never owned a dog that bacon wasn't a favorite treat!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I didn't realize a dog could be neutered at 14 weeks. Kind of early? Wait, be patient, he will come alive, sit with him, pet him...its all new to him too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.