Vet Exam Hips required for insurance for Puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vet Exam Hips required for insurance for Puppy?

Hi - have not see this question addressed on the former posts, so here it is; and thanks up front for taking the time to respond

I have an appt with the vet on the 18th to get my female GSD pup her last shots in the series. I purchased pet insurance also and they require a general health exam from the vet within 30 days, so I'll get that done at the same time. In the GSD breed, the ins co says they need a "hip" exam for the puppy in order to avoid a 6 mo delay on ins.

4 phone calls later (between the ins co and the vet receptionist), I'm still not sure what the vet will do to her to check for "hips"

She will be 17 weeks old at the time of the exam. How will the vet check her "hips"?. Ins co rep said vet would check for proper stretch on ligiaents etc (no xrays required). Does the vet have to bend and stretch my puppy to the point that it could hurt her or cause damage?

She's been just a hair wobbly on her back legs when she first wakes up and starts to play ball. I'm not too concerned because shes has grown 3 inches taller in the last three weeks and 10 lbs heavier. She adjusts daily and seems to be doing fine, but I just worry about a "hip" exam on a puppy this young?
Stonevintage is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know, I hope someone has an answer to this, because I would really like to know.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How funny that the insurance co. thinks anything can be determined this early regarding hips. I'd guess that the vet would feel them & do a visual.
middleofnowhere is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think this is just stupid. So what happens if the vet clears the pup and down the road the dog does get it(knock on wood this doesn't happen)?Do they cover HD to begin with? Most don't so why does this matter? I would ask them all these questions and probably move on to another insurance company. The vet will probably stretch and rotate legs, make the dog uncomfortable and hate him, ruin the relationship with the vet if pup gets scared, all for the vet to say they can't tell without X-rays....
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

We saw something similar once. The insurance company wanted an exam on the hips because at a previous appointment the vet had made notes in the chart in regards to pain upon extension.

So the company wanted them rechecked before insuring. They would insure and cover either way, but there would be a waiting period before coverage started if the vet again found a problem.

I would be very surprised if the vet could do anything on physical exam that would hurt your puppy or cause hip issues that are not there.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is through Petplan and they do cover HD. A general medical exam is required within 30 days of signup anyway. With the GSD breed they automatically require hip exam (only if you want to waive the 6 mo waiting period for the HD coverage to take effect. I just don't know what is involved. Can anyone tell me what the vet does to check this in a pup under 5 months old? Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
This is through Petplan and they do cover HD. A general medical exam is required within 30 days of signup anyway. With the GSD breed they automatically require hip exam (only if you want to waive the 6 mo waiting period for the HD coverage to take effect. I just don't know what is involved. Can anyone tell me what the vet does to check this in a pup under 5 months old? Thanks!

They will probably watch the puppy gait, then manipulate the hips. They will stretch them back, feel for range of motion, possibly adduct or abduct the the joint, then gait the dog again. That what my vets would do. None of that will cause a problem. If the pup has bad hips, it may find it uncomfortable.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank's!, that's what I needed to know. I think it's a good thing. If there are any irregularities, I understand it's best to catch it as early as possible in order to avoid things that could make the problem worse down the road.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had the same focus/concern regarding knees with PetPlan. Vet documented normal range of motion, no inconsistencies in gate/manipulation, etc.
This was only noted in his chart just in case something did happen during the first 6 months of the policy.

Just FYI: please wait until 14 days after you open your policy before you go to the vet, unless it's life threatening. I missed this detail, and took Jericho to the vet, and passively mentioned gunky eyes. 3 months later he's diagnosed for severe allergies, but it is not covered due to the note in his file which was inside the 14 day waiting period.

My bad!
joneser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Where did you get this info from? That clause pertains to the knees on PetPlan

Last edited by kr16; 10-01-2014 at 02:22 PM.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.