New puppy coming! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New puppy coming!

Hey all! I have a new puppy coming soon Female Sable from: Our Parents | Boston Hills Kennels | German Shepherds & Cane Corso's | Boston Hills Kennels

Super excited! The dogs are amazing and so pretty.

Anyways..... Just wanted to see if there are any tips for crate training that people have picked up in the past, getting the dog potty trained, and I have a really small morkie that I need to make sure stays safe. So any training techs. people have for getting the GSD to understand to be gentile with the little one would be really helpful.

On the fun side I wanted to see everyones opinion on her name. I was thinking Kimber. Its a firearms manufacturer but has the word Kim in it so i figured that was feminine enough without it being too girly.

Will keep everyone updated once the little one arrives!

Attached is a pic of the current litter (9 weeks) I may end up waiting for the next one.

Jakemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you read through this thread?

Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

Be sure that health tests - hips & elbows at absolute minimum are being done on both parents. Ask about why the breeder chose each pair and what each dog brings to the table and meet both parents if at all possible.

Just some concerns I personally have, anyone can put two dogs together to make puppies but it's the breeders that spend years researching and developing a proven line that you will have a high chance of getting the best pup from.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cute pup! I have a 15-week old female sable named Kymber. Not after the gun manufacturer though; it's a name I've used for years for characters in games I play.

She crate trained very easily; only cried/whined (loudly, haha) the first night. Up until this week, I would go home everyday at lunch to take her out and then let her play hard before putting her back in. She hasn't had one accident in her crate.

Potty training in still a work in progress, but nothing like it was the first week or so. Tether her to you, or have her spend more time in the crate; i.e., playtime then outside potty time then crate time for a few minutes, then back outside for potty, rinse and repeat. I also still give her treats when she pees outside (she has never pooped inside the house) and I make a big deal of it. Now when I ask her if she needs to go potty, she gets all excited and goes to the door. However, I still keep track of the last time she had water, and make sure I take her out extra because if I don't, she'll just pop a squat on the kitchen floor.

Last edited by jeepgirl; 09-23-2014 at 11:31 AM.
jeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Be sure that health tests - hips & elbows at absolute minimum are being done on both parents. Ask about why the breeder chose each pair and what each dog brings to the table and meet both parents if at all possible.

Just some concerns I personally have, anyone can put two dogs together to make puppies but it's the breeders that spend years researching and developing a proven line that you will have a high chance of getting the best pup from.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Yea Ive done my research. Co-worker of mine has one of their white GSDs. Awesome dog. They have been doing this for a long time.

From their site: We have been breeders for over 35 years, breeding German Shepherds and Cane Corso’s from world-class adults producing world-class puppies. Our dogs and puppies are family raised. Each breed is carefully planned assuring only the highest quality of puppies. Our stock are from strong working and show lines – our puppies have it all – brains and beauty. All of our puppies are backed by a written health guarantee.

Dont have exact bloodlines on me to show you but... They have awards up the butt from shows. The link is bellow in the first post to show you the dogs and breeder info.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are no OFA scores listed for the dogs, so you don't know if they have hip dysplasia or elbow dysplasia. If they have bad hips or elbows then that can increase the chance of your puppy also having bad hips or elbows.

There are no titles next to the dogs names or really any information about the dogs. They should either have titles from being shown or titles from them being worked in a sport.

Do they temperament test? Why are they breeding these dogs together? What are they breeding working lines with showlines? What are their goals?

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 09-23-2014 at 11:55 AM.
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemac View Post
Yea Ive done my research. Co-worker of mine has one of their white GSDs. Awesome dog. They have been doing this for a long time.

From their site: We have been breeders for over 35 years, breeding German Shepherds and Cane Corso’s from world-class adults producing world-class puppies. Our dogs and puppies are family raised. Each breed is carefully planned assuring only the highest quality of puppies. Our stock are from strong working and show lines – our puppies have it all – brains and beauty. All of our puppies are backed by a written health guarantee.

Dont have exact bloodlines on me to show you but... They have awards up the butt from shows. The link is bellow in the first post to show you the dogs and breeder info.
I visited the site and looked it over before my initial post, I saw a few photos but no pedigrees or information on any of the dogs listed. No list of accomplishments either

It may be the site is outdated or they don't feel the need to advertise. Which is why I'm not saying they are good or bad, I'm just saying that I have some personal concerns. GSD's unfortunately have many issues that can come up and I like most other people here want to set everyone up to succeed One of the breeders I talked to was breeding for over 35 years but they had nothing to show for it and only lauded how I would have access to all their experience. Well that's great until the dog turns up with crippling HD or is a fearful biter who can't be trusted. The breeder I got my poodle from was breeding for multiple years as well and had several generations which they showed me, that didn't stop me from leaving with a cute puppy who turned into a fearful dog who borderlines on neurotic on her bad days. I love her to bits but I won't be making that mistake again.

As I already stated, I'm not trying to put down the breeder or question your choice. It's your choice and yours alone, I'm just saying I think there are some questions that should be raised and if you did ask them and are satisfied with the answers then that's fine. I honestly wish you the best puppy possible that will bring joy to your family; you may find it at these breeders I don't know.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
There are no OFA scores listed for the dogs, so you don't know if they have hip dysplasia or elbow dysplasia. If they have bad hips or elbows then that can increase the chance of your puppy also having bad hips or elbows.

There are no titles next to the dogs names or really any information about the dogs. They should either have titles from being shown or titles from them being worked in a sport.
They dont keep their site updated. Everything that they have is at the kennel and I dont have all that info on me.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Everyone,

I also am bringing home a new gsd puppy this weekend and would love to hear any tips/suggestions on making the transition easier for him.

*8 wk old male, black and tan long hair gsd

We havent decided on a name either, we are debating on Jax or Ace (Jax being my favorite...yes, after Jax Teller what do yall think?

Jakemac-Did you ever pick a puppy to bring home? Im interested in hearing about your experience since its so recent.

OH and does anyone have any suggestions on bringing the puppy home to a cat, im a little nervous for my kitty Meiko.

Looking forward to hearing from you & everyone elses comments
BP.OS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP.OS View Post
Hi Everyone,

I also am bringing home a new gsd puppy this weekend and would love to hear any tips/suggestions on making the transition easier for him.

*8 wk old male, black and tan long hair gsd

We havent decided on a name either, we are debating on Jax or Ace (Jax being my favorite...yes, after Jax Teller what do yall think?

Jakemac-Did you ever pick a puppy to bring home? Im interested in hearing about your experience since its so recent.

OH and does anyone have any suggestions on bringing the puppy home to a cat, im a little nervous for my kitty Meiko.

Looking forward to hearing from you & everyone elses comments
I havent yet. This is a recent litter that I think because we just started getting ready for another dog that it was a surprise to hear they have a litter ready to go. We may wait until the next litter. When I go to check them im going to play with all of them for a while, see how they act, see what ones have what kinda drives/temperments. The breeder is going to watch for me too to see what he can spot on what dog. Then pick the one that works best for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.