Parvo/other diseases and socializing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Parvo/other diseases and socializing

Hello all,
On Tuesday I take home my female GSD puppy. At 7 weeks old, she will leave the breeder with only her first set of shots. I've been doing a ton of research on here (the site has proved very helpful thus far) and all the research has made me very nervous about parvo and related diseases. I understand that high traffic dog areas such as pet stores and going for walks around the neighborhood are a huge no no but what about dogs I am familiar with? My family members have healthy, well cared for dogs that are up to date on all vaccinations. They live in fenced in yards. Would it be safe to take a puppy to meet their dogs? What about to cookouts in private yards? Would that be safe despite that fact that people attending the cookout may have walked through high traffic areas in the same shoes they wear to the cookout? I apologize if I sound paranoid, I just want to be cautious. Thank you!
Mikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I avoided the high traffic dog areas. I did walk Sting around the neighborhood but not where there were other dogs. I would be comfortable with letting the pup play with your friends' dogs that are in fenced in yards and have all their shots. I have read to be careful at the vet's - in the waiting room, either to hold the pup or have her in her crate.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just want to share my experience. I went that road and although I took a lot of precautions (obviously not enough) Neo still got parvo

Luckily he made it but he could have died. Add to that 500 usd bill and 2 weeks quarantine when he should remain home. I do wish I did wait for the shots.

I might be an isolated case but just to let you know it can happen

Good luck
ChouMaKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Avoid high traffic area's where strange dogs are. I would be very careful with introducing your pup to full grown dogs unless they are very gentle. If they are too rough or unfriendly you could have a setback with your socialization.

Best thing IMO is to get into a good puppy class, so your pup can have supervised play with other pups her age. Most training places will ask for proof of vaccinations, so you know the dogs coming in there should be healthy.

When I bring my pup places, I bring an ex pen. It's a little fenced area he can hang out in, but be safely contained to a smaller area if you can't keep your eyes on him all the time.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am a veterinary technician and will say we see more socialized, fearful and/or dog aggressive dogs than parvo cases. The disease is certainly a risk but in my opinion, keeping your puppy secluded during a time they are most accepting and willing to learn is worse.

Places to avoid are parks (dog and regular), pet stores, the floor of vet offices and other places dogs are going in and out of. Parvo can survive in grass, unable to be sterilized like tile in stores and hospitals. I carried my puppy around the first few weeks. Then we visited less dog populated places like Starbuck's, Home Depot, sitting on blanket on a main street, watching people walk by.

Puppy classes and training are good outlets for meeting other dogs. They usually require vaccinations for all the pups attending. Do not consider any place letting in puppies without their first distemper/parvo.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for the responses. I got my puppy a week ago and I would say we're doing a pretty good job of socializing while keeping parvo risks low. We've been to a family cookout in a fenced in yard with 2 dogs we know (a lab mix and an english mastiff, both fully vaccinated), and we've been to my MIL's house and she met her 2 dogs (chihuahua and King Charles Cavalier, again both fully vaccinated). We also intend to sign up for puppy classes ASAP. My puppy had her first set of shots at 7 weeks, and tomorrow is 8 weeks. How long should we wait for the 2nd set of shots? The breeder recommends we wait until 10 weeks but that seems a bit late to me, but perhaps I am wrong.
Mikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.