Can you help analyze my Daisy's walk/stride? (Video Inside) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can you help analyze my Daisy's walk/stride? (Video Inside)

My Daisy is 5 months old now. She is strong and healthy and energetic.

She spends most of the day in the backyard with our other Chihuahua while my wife and I work. When we come home the first thing we do is play with them and make sure they're okay. After we calm them down and take the excitedness away we let them in the house while we eat dinner and help our daughter with homework.

At about 6:45 each day we take them on a walk. I only started walking her about 3 weeks ago when she finished all her shots and I keep them to just the immediate block we live in. I want to walk her around the block for a month or so until I feel she's familiar with the area and its smells and until she gets older before I walk her longer. All walks are at my pace but we stop a lot if she needs corrections and starts tugging at the leash.

The first few times I walked her it took us forever cause we had to keep stopping. Now we can go a good stretch before we have to stop. I keep her on the side with the grass so she can walk on that and the concrete and because I want her to learn to stay on our left side.

So I was watching my wife walk her the other day and noticed that she walks a little crooked or something. Like the back of her body is a bit more towards the right as the front, hard to explain, I've seen it on other dogs and other GSD's but I never knew what to make of it. She runs fine like when she chases a ball or dives into her pool but it still seemed silly.

Yesterday I decided to take a short video of her as I walked her from the side hoping you could see her and tell me if everything looks okay. She's not in any pain or discomfort and while we might be out walking for more than 15-20 minutes, it's only one city block with lots of stopping and waiting for her to sit when she tugs on the leash or tries to take the lead.

So here's the video, I'd appreciate it if you guys would let me know what you think. Good or bad, thanks in advance for the help.

Also, when is my blonde GSD gonna start changing colors...not that I mind, she looks beautiful, but I'm starting to wonder if she'll be this color forever.
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

i'm no expert on color but they usually have more black than that at 5 months. she might pretty much stay light. if that's the case you got yourself a cream faded sable. pretty rare color. really nice looking though.

Last edited by scarfish; 09-08-2014 at 01:18 PM.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i'm no expert on color but they usually have more black than that at 5 months. she might pretty much stay light. if that's the case you got yourself a cream faded sable. pretty rare color. really nice looking though.
Yea she's a beauty! I would not be mad if she stays this way at all. I've just never seen one this color before. I've googled around and seen the all white GSD's but couldn't find examples of this color.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

i'm prolly wrong, google image search is showing different for cream faded sable. maybe liver and cream.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't see anything about her walking to be concerned with. My guess, and I'm no expert, is that she's curling her head and front end toward the person walking her, since she's on a leash on the left side, and that's pushing her hind end out. Try walking her on the right side and see if she does the opposite. If she kept her head straight, I think her rear end would track straight, too.

And she's absolutely beautiful!
Pawsed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

were you asking about her color or how she walks?

i have seen other dogs walk like this
sometimes their rears are higher than their fronts so it makes it seem they are walking downhill
there are some explanations of this in the critique sections
it means their upper arm is too short because the front of a gsd should actually be higher than the rear portion of them and a short upper arm will do this
its just more noticeable when walking and especially when a pup is hot and tired like she appears to be

she trots more smoothly i noticed
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

nevermind on liver and cream. google is showing me dogs with no black in the face. i'm worthless as to the color. ignore me. awesome looking regardless.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
I don't see anything about her walking to be concerned with. My guess, and I'm no expert, is that she's curling her head and front end toward the person walking her, since she's on a leash on the left side, and that's pushing her hind end out. Try walking her on the right side and see if she does the opposite. If she kept her head straight, I think her rear end would track straight, too.

And she's absolutely beautiful!
Great idea! I'll have my wife walk her on both sides and I'll stand behind to see. I've seen it many times before on other dogs so I'm not overly concerned with it. The side view was just my idea yesterday cause I never really paid attention to her stride too much. I always focused on looking straight ahead and walking and not giving her too much attention to kind of assert myself as, "This is what we're doing, we're walking this way, and you're going to follow me". I paid attention to her backside yesterday as I walked her because she was just doing so good that I could actually take a few seconds to notice her stride.

I also read that at this stage in their growth is when their gait looks a bit more awkward and I guess this must be it.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

OK after getting annoyed by not figuring out the color. i dug deeper. i think it's just a plain cream sable and will prolly stay close to that color if it doesn't already have black on the back. carry on.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
were you asking about her color or how she walks?

i have seen other dogs walk like this
sometimes their rears are higher than their fronts so it makes it seem they are walking downhill
there are some explanations of this in the critique sections
it means their upper arm is too short because the front of a gsd should actually be higher than the rear portion of them and a short upper arm will do this
its just more noticeable when walking and especially when a pup is hot and tired like she appears to be

she trots more smoothly i noticed
I'm mainly asking about her walk. I see what you mean about the shorter front legs. Is this because of how old she is now and she's still growing so it'll right itself in the coming weeks and months or is this because of her genetics and the dogs in her family history?

Is it anything to be concerned about for her long term health?

At this point in the video we were halfway on our walk. I waited until the sun was down and it was cool enough for me to be outside (I hate the heat) and it was a very comfortable pace. She does look much better whens she runs.

And the color question is just because I'm curious and this is the best shot I've gotten of her that fully shows how she looks. Anytime we try taking a picture of her she'll get up and come to the camera and just ruin it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.