Mental stimulation for 4 month old! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mental stimulation for 4 month old!

Hi guys! What have you found works best to keep a puppy mentally satisfied? Have you come up with any games or fun puzzles to keep a very smart puppy entertained?

Atti has more toys than any toddler I know and they're all ranging in sizes, shapes and textures. He has plenty of things to chew on and the only thing he's chewed on in the house has been one windowsill (knock on wood). He has two different kongs and we have filled them with everything under the sun that is safe for him, even tried frozen, and he loses interest within 10 minutes. Although the leftovers make the 15 year old cocker spaniel happy! He has frozen socks that have some times been soaked in watered down beef broth. At least 5 meals a week come from a plastic bottle with holes cut into it. We play hide and seek and we hide treats and toys around the house to search for.

What have you done for your dogs? No matter what we do he gets tired of it within 15 minutes. Fun games or toys you've tried?
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have my dog yet, but how much training do you do with him? I have heard that training is great mental stimulation for your dog, especially if you do it right.

I plan on doing crate training/crate games, and some basic IPO stuff just to get the dog thinking and working as this will hopefully build a nice bond with the dog, and get him the mental stimulation too!
Unforgiving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I think you are doing alot with your dog. It could be his attention span is only 15 minutes and he loses interest. As he gets older he will stick with things longer. OB training will get his brain working and will drain him. Anything he has to use his nose for will get him mental stimulation and therefore tire him out. Try scenting with him. Its really easy to get started. You already have everything you need at home. Shoot me a PM and I can walk you through it. It is lots of fun for the dog and the owner (in our case anyway).
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"He has frozen socks that have some times been soaked in watered down beef broth. "

I see hazard written all over that .

Take the dog out for brisk walks where you engage the dog to come along WITH you , not sniffing or at his chosen pace or direction. Go . Have the dog learn his leash manners , to sit and wait quietly without being distracted (you pretend window shopping) .
Focus . Attention. Control .
Much less expensive than the toys !

Use that intelligence for the dog to develop a co-operative relationship with you.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Small obedience sessions throughout the day. A nice hike where pup can explore mixed on with some obedience. No socks, some dogs eat socks and it's very dangerous. They have puzzles you can buy for the dogs and they have to find the food. A flirt pole is a nice one too.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Our dogs are alone during the day when my wife and I both work but she's really calm and just likes to lounge around. I'm sure the heat keeps her wanting to just relax in the shade as well. We keep a kiddie pool in the back yard with about 3 inches of water in it and we know she loves to jump in and splash around so she does that. She also has lots of toys in the back yard but we made sure to keep anything we don't want bitten away from reach.

When my wife gets home she goes outside and plays catch for a few and then rubs them down and says good job for not destroying anything. She'll refill their food and water bowls and make sure their areas are comfy.

When I get home I'll play with the duck and stick thing that I made for her to chase around. It's just a long stuffed duck I got at a pet store tied by the feet to a long stick and I drag it around the floor and she goes absolutely crazy trying to catch it. She's gotten very good, she used to just run after it but now I see that she picks her angles and goes to the were the duck is headed to catch it. So I change it up on her and lift it in the air sometimes or randomly change directions. Then when she's good and tired and not super hyper from us being home I'll let her in the house so she can relax inside on her bed while we eat dinner. After dinner I taker her on a walk and then come home so I can brush her with the furminator and check for any bugs that may be on her. I'll leave them in the back yard or inside the house until bed time and then put them back in their kennels for the night. She's only 5 months so I can't run with her but I'd like to start teaching her to catch a frisbee. I also need to find a good place with no distractions to work on her ball fetching skills. Right now she gets distracted easily and will sometimes just walk to the ball and then go elsewhere. It turns into me playing fetch by myself lol
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.