new to the puppy stage :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation new to the puppy stage :)

Hello everyone,

I am getting a German Shepherd Sable puppy at 7 weeks this Saturday. I have a 11 year old yorkie mix. We have had her for about 6 years & we also have a cockatiel named Hank. Im not worried about my older dog Chelsea she is very good with puppies and actually loves to play with them. I am very very worried about my 2 year old male cockatiel. He is very tamed & only stays in his cage when we are not at home. He loves to sit on me and roam around on our sofa.... I don't want anything to happen to my boy what are some things that I need to do? I don't want to take his freedom away from him & I really don't want him to stay in his cage 24-7.....????

Thanks so much & I am beyond excited to get my baby girl this Saturday I have never had a German Shepherd before either
brittanys22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanys22 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am getting a German Shepherd Sable puppy at 7 weeks this Saturday. I have a 11 year old yorkie mix. We have had her for about 6 years & we also have a cockatiel named Hank. Im not worried about my older dog Chelsea she is very good with puppies and actually loves to play with them. I am very very worried about my 2 year old male cockatiel. He is very tamed & only stays in his cage when we are not at home. He loves to sit on me and roam around on our sofa.... I don't want anything to happen to my boy what are some things that I need to do? I don't want to take his freedom away from him & I really don't want him to stay in his cage 24-7.....????

Thanks so much & I am beyond excited to get my baby girl this Saturday I have never had a German Shepherd before either
im so excited for you! congrats on your new gsd! post tons of pics when you get him!
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

You're going to have a real hard time training a 7 week to leave a bird alone. At first I would I would only let the bird out for short periodd of time and use treats to train the dogs to leave it alone. Good luck with that goal
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

We brought our pup home at 8 weeks hoping he'd make friends with the cat. No, I still need to keep them separated. The cat only gets free roam of the house when we leave with the dog for a few hours, or when our pup is in his crate. Hopefully your birds will be still and be "boring" so it will be easier to teach your pup, Leave It.

congrats on your pup!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Congratulations on your new puppy! There's a lot of good information on the forum. I recommend you take a look at the puppy forum and pay attention to the stickies on training expectations and socializing your puppy. I also strongly encourage you to crate train your pup. Is the yorkie crate trained? It's helpful for the dogs to have a safe place that is theirs. Another very important part of bringing a new puppy home is to find a good trainer. Especially since this is your first GSD, you'll both benefit from continued obedience classes.

Regarding the yorkie, I would be very careful allowing them to play. Your yorkie is a senior, and she may decide that a pushy landshark that will quickly out weight her isn't too much fun after all. I have a 10 month old GSD and a 7lb chi/dachshund mix. When I brought him home at 12 weeks, he was already almost 3 times her size. His version of play could easily hurt her, so my goal was to make them more or less neutral with each other. Bear was always on leash around the other dogs at first so that we could control him and ensure that he wouldn't harass them. When the puppy wants to play, redirect the puppy to a toy and play with him. You should be the fun source of play, not the yorkie. It took a lot of consistency and patience, but now they get along well. Here's my boy with my little dog and my parents' yorkie mix.

IMG_3669

Even though they do great together when I'm with them, I never leave them together when I'm not around. With such a difference of sizes, an accident could easily hurt or even kill the smaller dog. They are both crated when we're not watching them.

The cockatiel is a little more tricky. GSDs have a lot of prey drive, and it will be a lot of work to have the two co-exist peacefully. I would be extremely cautious and always have the puppy leashed around the bird; one accident and you could have a dead bird. Hopefully someone with birds and GSDs can chime in here. I had a cockatiel growing up with 3 dogs, but they were all older and very mellow dogs. We never had any issues, but we were very careful with management.

Good luck! Please share some pics of her when she comes home.
osito23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone advice. We got our sweet baby girl last night & she is doing very very well.
brittanys22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.