German Shepherds Forum banner

Just the basics?

844 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Snapdragon 
#1 ·
So I'm getting my puppy first week of November. I want to save as much money as I can without skimping on toys etc. I want to save big ticket items such as crates, harnesses, etc to get on black Friday, but in the meantime I need to pick up things that will last him the first few weeks until then. Bowls, some toys, baby crate (getting that second hand from my parents who don't need it anymore), nail clippers to start him getting used to it right away, shampoo for when he messes himself, baby gates, leash (or make one at home depot)... I already have some toys and a collar. What are some other essentials?

#2 ·
A first aid kit
De-wormer
Pepto-Bismol
Slicker brush
Undercoat rake
Six or eight large bath towels
12 pack of Microfiber towels
Big bottle of laundry soap
Enzyme killer
Trash bags
Waterproof apron
Bathtub mat (if you don't already use one)
Shower head on a long hose in place of the one you currently have.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

#3 ·
Undercoat rake for a baby puppy, for the first few days? Ok.

You have a small crate, good.

A collar/martingale and a leash -- good idea.

Baby gate -- yes!

Water and food bowl.

Toys -- lots of different textures, some to chew on, some to squeak, some fluffy, etc.

Enzyme based cleaner, for accidents.

A bell to hang around the door knob of the door you take him out of to potty. That bell will jingle every time you take him out to potty, and one day, you will hear that thing jingling and think, what is that? The puppy!!! And he will go out, and potty, and you will praise, and life will be a beautiful thing.

Training treats for potty training -- you can use cheese or hot dogs, lunch meat, anything for this.

Call the breeder and ask what they are feeding and have a bag of that kind of food on hand. If they recommend vitamins or whatever, you might want to lay that in right away as well.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Hehe, this is definitely not my first shepherd puppy, so I know what you mean when you say patience! I still have to do a bit more research on pet insurance, pick out a vet, and find classes. So much to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.