German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   How long do you keep brushing? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/484298-how-long-do-you-keep-brushing.html)

arctic 08-30-2014 11:12 AM

How long do you keep brushing?
 
My 6 month old is shedding. A lot. I think she may be losing her puppy coat.

In any case, I user a brush, a furminator, and a rubber zoom brush.

The more I brush, the more hair that falls out. It goes on. FOREVER!

How long should I brush her? It just doesn't stop -- especially when I use rubber zoom brush and brush back and forth.

pyratemom 08-30-2014 12:07 PM

Keep brushing. It does go on forever and twice a year it is horrendous when they completely blow coat. The rest of the year they can shed enough to build a small dog once a week. Get a good vacuum, you will need it. I still brush my girl every morning and she is 6 years old. When I bathe her I use the Zoom Groom rubber brush to get loose hair and it also gives her a nice massage. I used the Furminator on Pyrate and could get a 3 and a half gallon bucket full of hair easily at least three times a week and he never looked like he lost any hair at all! Raina, being of longer coat, oddly enough does not shed as much as Pyrate did. She has longer hair but not the thick fuzzy undercoat so much.

my boy diesel 08-30-2014 12:27 PM

if you mean in one setting you will denude the puppy if you use the furminator daily for more than a few minutes at a time
there is a groomer on here that pops in and hopefully she can help you figure this out
FAQ Using a FURminator Which FURminator to Use | FURminator®

We recommend using the deShedding tool 1-2 times a week for 10-20 minutes each session. You may need to use the deShedding tool more frequently during heavy shedding seasons.

Before each use, you will want to read the deShedding tool instructions completely. Also, your pet should be free of mats and tangles.




if you mean over time yes grooming and brushing are lifelong requirements for coated dogs like gsds collies and huskies just to name a few

arctic 08-30-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5964473)
if you mean in one setting you will denude the puppy if you use the furminator daily for more than a few minutes at a time
there is a groomer on here that pops in and hopefully she can help you figure this out
FAQ Using a FURminator Which FURminator to Use | FURminator®

We recommend using the deShedding tool 1-2 times a week for 10-20 minutes each session. You may need to use the deShedding tool more frequently during heavy shedding seasons.

Before each use, you will want to read the deShedding tool instructions completely. Also, your pet should be free of mats and tangles.




if you mean over time yes grooming and brushing are lifelong requirements for coated dogs like gsds collies and huskies just to name a few

I've used the furminator 2-3 times already this week. I'll definitely stop for a week.

I've mostly used the rubber zoom brush, which I brush back and forth on the dog, and the hair just falls like a waterfall. It actually doesn't stop falling. I stop because I get tired. I'm not sure the furminator helps at all, because after 10 minutes of the furminator, I do the brushing. And the fur keeps on falling.

I'm hoping this is not a "normal" thing and it's more of a puppy shedding its coat / fall season thing.

Cassidy's Mom 08-30-2014 12:58 PM

I don't use a Furminator, but with my undercoat rake I brush until I stop getting fur off, or the dog has had enough! With the Zoom Groom there's no danger of coat damage, so you should be able to use it as often and as long as you like.

lauren43 08-30-2014 01:21 PM

What is the recommended brush? I don't love the furminator but was thinking about getting a rake, yes?

MichaelE 08-30-2014 01:24 PM

Yes. An undercoat rake will help pull it out.

Cassidy's Mom 08-30-2014 01:24 PM

Undercoat rakes are awesome! I have this one, and it works great - it has a double row of rotating teeth:
http://cdn.petcarerx.com/img/PrdImg/...69_001_xxl.jpg

A girl and her dog 08-31-2014 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctic (Post 5964290)
My 6 month old is shedding. A lot. I think she may be losing her puppy coat.

In any case, I user a brush, a furminator, and a rubber zoom brush.

The more I brush, the more hair that falls out. It goes on. FOREVER!

How long should I brush her? It just doesn't stop -- especially when I use rubber zoom brush and brush back and forth.

This made me giggle! I brush until I get tired, or the dog can't take any more, or I'm getting only about 1/4 the hair as I was when I started. I figure that I'll never get all of it in any single session. All I can do is remove as much loose hair as possible until next time.

I use a rake with round edges and blades for getting the under coat. I like it, it does a good job on the fur, it's faster than most brushes, and my cat loves it.

but the shedding doesn't stop. in fact, I think the deshedder/brushing encourages more shedding. Invest in a Swiffer vac for hard floors and a good vacuum for carpets and rugs.

arctic 09-01-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A girl and her dog (Post 5967442)
This made me giggle! I brush until I get tired, or the dog can't take any more, or I'm getting only about 1/4 the hair as I was when I started. I figure that I'll never get all of it in any single session. All I can do is remove as much loose hair as possible until next time.

I use a rake with round edges and blades for getting the under coat. I like it, it does a good job on the fur, it's faster than most brushes, and my cat loves it.

but the shedding doesn't stop. in fact, I think the deshedder/brushing encourages more shedding. Invest in a Swiffer vac for hard floors and a good vacuum for carpets and rugs.

I'm just brushing her outside at the moment, leaving piles of fur wherever I go.

I'm also wondering if it might make sense to take her to the groomer regularly, but just have them use the blower, since I don't want her getting washed too often.

Last time I made the mistake of staying in the same room with the groomer when she blow dryed the dog. I got completely covered in fur so I'll stay far away from now on.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2