German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   The Neo dump (walk me through puppyhood) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/484209-neo-dump-walk-me-through-puppyhood.html)

ChouMaKen 08-29-2014 11:56 PM

The Neo dump (walk me through puppyhood)

Hello everyone

I just got my 11 weeks old puppy (a few hours ago) from Jinopo and I am already facing challenges :) so I will try to consolidate all my questions in one thread as it will be easier for me to track .

The pre-buying phase of Neo can be found here http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ee-please.html for those interested.

Neo left Prage on the 28th and arrived here on the 29th shortly after 23h that was a long trip for him and quite exhausting I assume.

By the time we arrived home, gave him to drink / eat a quick bath and meeting the kids it was already 1 am, so I crated him again with a chewing toy

Challenge 1: although I was prepared for the whining of the first night I didn't expect him to have such a powerful voice :S and letting him cry his heart out is not really an option as I have 2 kids a wife and very intolerant neighbors. So I waited for the time when he was calm and entered the room he is crated to setup on the couch and stayed there.

He still whined but not hard enough to wake anyone, I spent 4 hours by his side my hand on the crate and I don't think he slept more than 1 or 2 hours in that time.

So far all is good I don't really mind not sleeping a lot but I need to know I will be able to sleep in my bed again soon. Did I do anything wrong by staying with him the night ?

Challenge 2: at 4:30 am He was awake and calm and I was awake too so I thought of giving him a potty break and I did. unfortunately when we came back he was all excited again (I didn't play with him, only praised him when he pottied) and started barking and whining loudly again in the few seconds it took me to go wash my hands and come back.

Do you think I could have let him straight till 6 or 7 am without potty break ?

Challenge 3: his stool is very watery should I be concerned or is it too soon and should give him a few days to settle in ?

on the positive side the night went through without accidents in the crate :)

p.s. it is barely 6 am and I slept only 2 hours last night lol and he is right now in the crate next to me whining softly

Thanks for your help

ChouMaKen 08-30-2014 05:39 AM

Well it feels like having newborns all over again, Neo kept me awake all night long and he's been sleeping since 9 am...

Ellimaybel 08-30-2014 06:41 AM

If you use the search engine here you will find a lot of helpful advice given all over the place. Some people try having the crate next to the bed without a top, with the door open, all sorts of tricks. I wouldn't say he would have held it that long, nor be expected to. Potty breaks can be tricky though as they pick up on that real quick as a way out of the crate. Wish I could be more help, but it's after 4:30 for me and I think I may finally be able to sleep. Good luck!

arctic 08-30-2014 07:12 AM

My puppy slept next to me on the floor for the first couple of days until she got used to the new environment. Transitioned her to the crate after crate training (almost all her feedings continue to be in the crate).

Diarrhea could be from change of kibble?

ChouMaKen 08-30-2014 01:32 PM

Well I did some search and I did my best to tire him up. Well its 20h and he is exhausted and sleeping in his crate which means that he will wake up in a few hours full of energy no?

What is a typical night in number of hours at that age?

Thanks everyone

ChouMaKen 08-31-2014 12:47 AM

New day new challenges ...

Last night was better than the first I did get to sleep on my bed for 1/2 the night but still had to take him out twice for potty (Which is totally fine) and after each trip I sat with him in the room for 30 to 40 min until he settles down and then went again to bed.

My issue is that each time he wanted to go out he was whining and bagging on the crate door so I rush and opened the crate door just in time for him to go outside. My concern is that I am thus reacting to his whining meaning that I am reinforcing them no?

also his Diarrhea isn't getting any better but his energy level is fine and he drinks a lot, if he isn't better by tomorrow I'll call a vet

ChouMaKen 08-31-2014 03:56 AM

Oh well I tried to make him "play" with his breakfast to build bond and engagement but he didn't look interested the least to "work" for his food.

Will need to make myself more interesting somehow

Ellimaybel 08-31-2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChouMaKen (Post 5967354)
Oh well I tried to make him "play" with his breakfast to build bond and engagement but he didn't look interested the least to "work" for his food.

Will need to make myself more interesting somehow

I don't know what you feed, but when Gunther was only 6 weeks old I hid his food under plastic cups on the floor. It was fun and the encouragement helped a lot. I read an idea on here I like: Take a muffin pan and put treats (or pieces of food) in random cups of it and cover each hole with a tennis ball. Supposed to be a lot of fun for the puppy!

ChouMaKen 08-31-2014 04:57 AM

I am feeding Royal Canin Kibbles for german shepherd puppies. All I tried for now was "charging the clicker" and even with that he would look at me not interested in taking the kibble from my hand.

Once I poured it into his plate he ate the whole thing :s

I will try your suggestions thanks, honestly I didn't think it would be that demanding

A girl and her dog 08-31-2014 05:00 AM

Perhaps play/work for his food is too soon? He doesn't even know you yet :) I think the first step with a new pup is to establish a routine, or at least let them become aware that their needs will be met.

By responding to his cries to go out to potty, you aren't in danger of reinforcing unnecessary whining or fussing. You are encouraging him to let you know when he needs to go out, and allowing him to trust that you will respond to his needs and not make him soil himself in his kennel. How else is he supposed to let you know he needs to potty?

For the diarrhea, do a quick search for a bland diet. There's good info on here for treating an upset stomach. if he starts vomiting, get to the vet immediately.