Crate vs Calluses - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Crate vs Calluses

Okay so I bought Zeus a bed mat for his crate, he chewed it up. So i then got another one hoping he wouldnt. Well... he did. So i decided no more beds in the crate. Ever since then Zeus has started getting calluses on his elbows! how can i get rid of them and what are my alternatives for softer bedding?
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

A towel or blanket? Kymber always seems to be hot so I just have a towel on the bottom of her crate (and a fan pointing on her, spoiled much?) at the moment. I think it's more of a "woobie" to her than something to lay on though; it's never underneath her when she wakes me up in the morning.
jeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If your dog is a betting eater, do NOT put towels in there with them.... super easy to eat large chunks of, and super easy to get a blockage from (I know multiple people who have lost dogs this way). My dogs are both bedding eaters and I got rubber horse stall mats and cut them to size. They're basically made from the same material as the heavy-duty Kongs and are much more difficult to rip into chunks big enough to do damage. You can get them pretty cheap and are fairly easy to cut up with a jig saw.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good to know; Kymber isn't a blanket/bedding eater (yet), but I'll keep an eye out for sure!
jeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl View Post
Good to know; Kymber isn't a blanket/bedding eater (yet), but I'll keep an eye out for sure!
Towels especially are really easy to tear into strips... but then they also tend to swallow them :-\ My male started nibbling on the corners of a blanket, just chewing.... then the next day he had shredded whole strips of it. Luckily he hadn't swallowed them
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
If your dog is a betting eater, do NOT put towels in there with them.... super easy to eat large chunks of, and super easy to get a blockage from (I know multiple people who have lost dogs this way). My dogs are both bedding eaters and I got rubber horse stall mats and cut them to size. They're basically made from the same material as the heavy-duty Kongs and are much more difficult to rip into chunks big enough to do damage. You can get them pretty cheap and are fairly easy to cut up with a jig saw.
Ahh! thats a great idea. Ill look into it 😄 and yea towels are a huge no no. Lol i have also known a couple of dogs who died from it. 😢
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl View Post
A towel or blanket? Kymber always seems to be hot so I just have a towel on the bottom of her crate (and a fan pointing on her, spoiled much?) at the moment. I think it's more of a "woobie" to her than something to lay on though; it's never underneath her when she wakes me up in the morning.
I do think it would help him but since hes a chewer thats still out the window sadly. Cause hed have pieces everywhere. 😭 id be scared for him to choke.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm curious. I can understand no towels. Do you guys have the same feeling about unhemmed fleece? I've had towel eaters switched over to fleece and they chew on it a bit, realize they can't really tear strips and give up. Anyone else had this experience? Unhemmed fleece has been my go to crate bedding because of that.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

My adult dogs have calloused elbows and neither are crated during the day or night. One is only crated maybe a few times a year (for rides in the car to/from somewhere) and the other is crated during training and at times during competition/tournaments but otherwise as free reign of the house. Both dogs appear to sleep on the couch or chairs during the day and have dog beds at night (if they chose) but still developed callouses.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

My dog has huge elbow callouses. He is never crated. He's rarely on cement/asphalt. He lays around on carpet or grass.

I have no idea why he has these callouses. I use vetericyn and coconut oil on them regularly. It helps but they are still there.

Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.