German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   5th Puppy Shot if 4th was at 15.5 weeks??? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/482897-5th-puppy-shot-if-4th-15-5-weeks.html)

Bruin 08-25-2014 10:51 PM

5th Puppy Shot if 4th was at 15.5 weeks???
 
I'm curious what you all think about the vet's suggestion that Bruin needs another round of the puppy vaccine (DAPP). Below is what when he has gotten so far.

The breeder vaccinated him at 6 weeks and again at 8 weeks; the vet advised that they were too close together so virtually the one at 6 weeks doesn't count. Also, he said the last shot should be at 16 weeks; since he was 15.5 weeks at shot #4 (shot was on a Friday, his 16 week mark was the following Tuesday), does he need another DAPP? :help:

6/10/2014, Tuesday @ 6 weeks old exactly - DAPP #1
6/24/2014, Tuesday @ 8 weeks old exactly - DAPP #2
7/18/2014, Friday @ 11.5 weeks old - DAPP #3
8/15/2014, Friday @ 15.5 weeks old - DAPP #4, Bordetella #1

Note: I plan to give him another Bordetella 4 weeks from the first. I also didn't allow the vet to give the dewormer since his fecals were negative. I plan to do the rabies shot at least 2 weeks after his last puppy shot, farther out if possible.

I really don't want to over-vaccinate, so your thoughts are much appreciated!:o

Jax08 08-25-2014 10:59 PM

Absolutely not! That one on 15.5 weeks IS his 16 week shot. That 2.5 days is not going to make a difference and he's had one more shot than necessary already with that one at 6 weeks being worthless.

Why Bordetella? Will you be boarding him? Going to daycare?

Bruin 08-25-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5945025)
Absolutely not! That one on 15.5 weeks IS his 16 week shot. That 2.5 days is not going to make a difference and he's had one more shot than necessary already with that one at 6 weeks being worthless.

Why Bordetella? Will you be boarding him? Going to daycare?

Good to hear my thinking isn't off-base. Our in-laws put one of their dogs in day care, and she recently got kennel cough, so we are trying to immunize him against that (realizing that the Bordetella vaccine doesn't guarantee that, but better than nothing). Should we avoid Bordetella #2 as well?

Thank you again!

Jax08 08-25-2014 11:06 PM

Your dog has a higher risk of getting it right now so I would avoid contact with your in-laws dogs. It's up to you on getting the vaccine. I don't give it. But my dog is not around a bunch of strange dogs

Bruin 08-25-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5945065)
Your dog has a higher risk of getting it right now so I would avoid contact with your in-laws dogs. It's up to you on getting the vaccine. I don't give it. But my dog is not around a bunch of strange dogs

We've avoided contact with the infected dog, their other dogs, and their home, and made sure we all wash our hands/etc. when coming back from their home. It's been about 6 weeks so I think we're pretty much in the clear. The vet had recommended a second Bordetella but I don't think he gave me a reason why... If it seems the first is going to give him the immunization and the second wouldn't do anything aside from cost money, then I'd assume #2 isn't necessary.

So, rabies shot in a few weeks then finally done with the torture :o

I appreciate your help!

Jax08 08-25-2014 11:57 PM

Not sure if bordetella is a series. You should look that up before you nix the 2nd. Or the first might be for nothing.

I woudl wait at least 2 weeks after the last shot for rabies. I waited 2 weeks but only because we have rabies in our area with at least 3 known incidences in the last year. Otherwise I would have waited longer and just been illegal.

Bruin 08-26-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5945233)
Not sure if bordetella is a series. You should look that up before you nix the 2nd. Or the first might be for nothing.

I woudl wait at least 2 weeks after the last shot for rabies. I waited 2 weeks but only because we have rabies in our area with at least 3 known incidences in the last year. Otherwise I would have waited longer and just been illegal.

I've been reading conflicting stuff on whether or not bordetella is a series. I'll be sure to get confirmation before opting in or out. I'll be delaying the rabies vaccine as long as legally possible too.

Thanks again for your help! :)

DJEtzel 08-26-2014 02:07 PM

There is an injectable bordetella that is a series. Then there is the oral and nasal vaccines that are not a series. You'd want to find out which your pup got.

I think the 4 vaccines is already one too many, I would absolutely not be vaccinating a 5th time.

SuperG 08-26-2014 02:15 PM

Bordetella shots.....forget it.

Too many damned shots for puppies.

I say, the least amount of shots for a dog the better.


SuperG

Bruin 08-26-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 5947017)
There is an injectable bordetella that is a series. Then there is the oral and nasal vaccines that are not a series. You'd want to find out which your pup got.

I think the 4 vaccines is already one too many, I would absolutely not be vaccinating a 5th time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5947081)
Bordetella shots.....forget it.

Too many damned shots for puppies.

I say, the least amount of shots for a dog the better.


SuperG

His bordetella vaccine was nasal. We vaccinated him due to a higher risk of exposure to kennel cough with our family's dogs. I wish the breeder hadn't given him shots at 6 weeks and 8 weeks, but nothing I could do about it unfortunately. After rabies, he'll be done until his year boosters (finally!). Thanks for the input!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2