German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Lux has been diagnosed with Parvo (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/482841-lux-has-been-diagnosed-parvo.html)

HappysMom 08-25-2014 06:08 PM

Lux has been diagnosed with Parvo

1 Attachment(s)
Lux has been dealing with runny stools for about three days now, I first assumed it was his food change or something he may have eaten in the yard but after a long morning at the vets, he has tested positive for parvo. I was very emotional and overwhelmed whenever I was first told the news. Growing up in a family that breeds and shows dogs, we've never had this problem and I've only heard the worst of it. Luckily my vet says I could not have brought him in sooner as diarrhea is his only symptom. He's still eating and drinking plenty, also being a puppy like puppies should. He's been put on cephalexin, metronidazole, cerenia and tamiflu.

I've contacted my breeder and she suggested pedialyte to add to his water, if anyone has any other tips or advice to help my little man through his fight I would greatly appreciate it! He will be ten weeks this upcoming Wednesday and I will keep this updated on his condition. Attachment 236529

GSDlover143 08-25-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappysMom (Post 5944449)
Lux has been dealing with runny stools for about three days now, I first assumed it was his food change or something he may have eaten in the yard but after a long morning at the vets, he has tested positive for parvo. I was very emotional and overwhelmed whenever I was first told the news. Growing up in a family that breeds and shows dogs, we've never had this problem and I've only heard the worst of it. Luckily my vet says I could not have brought him in sooner as diarrhea is his only symptom. He's still eating and drinking plenty, also being a puppy like puppies should. He's been put on cephalexin, metronidazole, cerenia and tamiflu.

I've contacted my breeder and she suggested pedialyte to add to his water, if anyone has any other tips or advice to help my little man through his fight I would greatly appreciate it! He will be ten weeks this upcoming Wednesday and I will keep this updated on his condition. Attachment 236529

Keeping him in my thoughts!

joneser 08-25-2014 09:02 PM

Oh what a little stunner! Prayers to both of you, kudos for catching it early

Moriah 08-25-2014 09:48 PM

What an adorable pup! Stay positive and keep us up-dated.

Coley 08-25-2014 10:20 PM

What a gorgeous pup! Parvo can be very scary but just remember it's not a death sentence! I had a pup about 14 yrs ago on deaths door when I found her. She was 16 weeks old, abandoned brindle pit bull. I thought for sure she was in serious trouble. Needless to say after about 1200 dollars in vet bills, overnight stays and IV medication (antibiotics, fluids, etc) she pulled through :) I didn't know her but I was determined to save her. She grew up and lived a long healthy life! I'll keep your puppy in my prayers, keep your head up!

HappysMom 08-25-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 5945097)
What a gorgeous pup! Parvo can be very scary but just remember it's not a death sentence! I had a pup about 14 yrs ago on deaths door when I found her. She was 16 weeks old, abandoned brindle pit bull. I thought for sure she was in serious trouble. Needless to say after about 1200 dollars in vet bills, overnight stays and IV medication (antibiotics, fluids, etc) she pulled through :) I didn't know her but I was determined to save her. She grew up and lived a long healthy life! I'll keep your puppy in my prayers, keep your head up!

Thank you for that! The little things really mean a lot! He's doing great from what I can tell and he's had two solid stools today after finishing all of his medicine. I hope we don't have to see the ugly side of this!

HappysMom 09-01-2014 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 237257

Sweet man has finished his parvo treatment and is doing great! 💖

llombardo 09-01-2014 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappysMom (Post 5971585)
Attachment 237257

Sweet man has finished his parvo treatment and is doing great! 💖

Wonderful news:)

Coley 09-02-2014 04:34 PM

So happy to hear! God bless you both!

MichaelE 09-02-2014 04:57 PM

Good to hear he's out of the woods.