German Shepherds Forum banner

5 month old Zeus

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ch3ckpo1nt 
#1 · (Edited)
Need a little help. This is my first GSD that I have gotten this late in the puppy stage. I understand there are added stresses to the pup after leaving his parents, brothers, sisters, and owner after 5 months. With that said, are these common issues in a situation like this?

He is fed twice per day, same time everyday. However, has diareah throughout the day in the house. This happens more often when I'm at work and my wife is home with him. It should be added that we did change his food from purina one to blue buffalo large breed puppy food without a very good transition.

Zeus doesn't have much energy, at all. He lays down a lot. I believe this is due to hypertrophic osteodistrophy.

Also, he does finish his food, but I've never seen a dog eat so slow in my life. He also doesn't get very thrilled over any treats. Sometimes he will eat them, but not always.

We have had him only a week but my wife is quite irritated and I need to spread her reassurance. She doesn't feel the need for us to take him to the vet because she feels we've only had him a week and thinks he is ill and the breeder should be responsible.

Please, I'm not looking for bashing, just some assurance that this is lost likely just temporary stress from so much change in a short period.

I am going to take him to the vet to get some anti inflammatory/antibiotics/pain meds for the HOD, but aside from him laying down often, he doesn't show any signs of pain when he walks or runs. But again, his energy level is very minimal compared to my previous GSDs.

Thank you for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
How do you know he has HOD? This is a pretty painful condition. The loose stool is probably from the good switch. Feed him a bland diet, chicken and rice for a few days until the stool firms up.

#5 ·
You need to take this dog to the vet. Full stop. If the puppy actually has HOD he needs medical care, pronto. He is in pain. But please don't trust Dr Google for something like this. Please take the puppy to a veterinarian.

#9 ·
My 4 month old Zeus was on blue buffalo and had diarrhea. he wasn't going in the house but was going out side all night long and we were getting no sleep. I say you should switch foods. We switched and have had no problems. I switched to Nutro Natural Choice.

#10 ·
He checked out great at the vet. The vet said what I was thinking was HOD, was just signs that Zeus is going to be massive. I was still a little concerned. I met Ivan Balabanov for an evaluation for future schutzhund work, and he even said it's just a clear sign he is going to be huge.

I am going to be switching his food, starting today. I'm leaning toward Taste of the Wild, my last GSD did excellent on it.

I am still concerned because Zeus just wants to lay down, everywhere we go. He can't wait to get into the house. Even at the dog park, he goes and lays down. ONCE in awhile, he will run with me in the yard for a brief moment. Ivan said it's just a sign that the breeder didn't have him being very active, probably just in the kennel all of the time.

But, he wouldn't stop barking at Ivan's Malinois' and he said that's what he wanted to see (I guess it means he's not scared and maybe a sign that he wouldn't perform well in bite work? I dunno). But we have an appointment Friday for a better evaluation and to start him on training.

Off topic: I've never really seen Malinois in person, I always thought they were smaller than GSD's. Well, at least from Ivan's Malnois", I was wrong. They are awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.