Puppy Update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Puppy Update

So I posted a while back about finding out about my female being pregnant. She gave birth to 6 very healthy little puppies on May 16th, and the puppies spent the first 6 days of their life on the road, while we moved from Utah to California. They did spectacular and are still doing amazing. We have gotten their shots and they're doing really good. We have 2 girls and 4 handsome boys.

Sasha
https://flic.kr/p/oHt5MR
Luca
https://flic.kr/p/orfmX5
Thor
https://flic.kr/p/oHt6br
Dexter
https://flic.kr/p/oHt6gB
Elena
https://flic.kr/p/oHt6ci
Timber
https://flic.kr/p/orfnPA

These pictures were from about 2 1/2 months old.

And a video of mom, dad, and four of the puppies.
The Family - YouTube

We have decided to keep them all, and not find any homes for them. We figured risking someone breeding them was not worth it. So once their growth plates are closed, they will all be spayed and neutered and stay with our family. We couldn't be happier. We had some complications with mama not knowing what to do, so I ended up hand delivering them and they spent their first couple days in a box with my mothers cat, and we bottle fed them every hour. They are doing incredible and they are making great strides in their training. We have begun all of their training in German and they have almost perfected their 'sit' command. I couldn't be happier with how they are progressing.

Last edited by TaylorGSDT; 08-13-2014 at 10:01 PM.
TaylorGSDT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Another unpopular post, please do not do this. Going from 2 dogs to 8 dogs is a huge jump, and six of those dogs being littermates. There is no way possible that you and your husband can give as much individual attention and training to these puppies than if you sell, or give away 4 or 5 of them.

The puppies being the same age, and the same power are not going to have trouble now when they are 4 months old. But they can have some serious troubles down the line.

It is really a bad idea for the dogs. I am against spaying and neutering, but if you are concerned with people breeding them, do a pediatric alter before homing them. They are old enough at this point to do this.

Allowing six puppies to reach adulthood in the same home, is something that I wouldn't try.

It will not be fun, if the dogs start fighting. Really. Then it will be constant management.

Are they all house trained? If you still need to get that feat accomplished, six at once, that has to be fun.

8 very young dogs all at once is a daunting job. Right now they are still very cute and placeable. Yes they will be adorable as they grow too, but right now is the best time for them to adjust to a new home. Keeping them as a litter for another 2-3 months will create issues.

Please reconsider this.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Angry

Actually, they are house and crate trained. And I don't have a husband. I am a lesbian. So don't assume. I live with my mother and sister, and we are more than capable of handling them all. Why do people like you insist on posting on a thread like mine? I am doing nothing wrong. I am simply keeping my dogs because they are mine. I have more than the means to care for, train, and give my dogs proper exercise and attention. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me keeping MY dogs. If my post is something you do not like to see, then don't look at it. And definitely don't post. And my post clearly states 6 of them are puppies, not 8.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, please don't assume that I have any thoughts at all about your sexual orientation. Doesn't matter to me at all. You said, "we moved" and I pictured a couple -- shoot me down. Doesn't matter.

I will post on a thread that is there if I have something to say. Once you lay it out, then you are opening yourself up to hear some advice whether you like the advice or not.

Frankly you couldn't keep ONE young male away from ONE puppy bitch and had a litter, out of a yearling pup with some issues and a dog with a conformation issue. You don't want advice, but you need advice.

Why do you think that the people here will think that you can handle 8 youngsters when you couldn't manage two? Really?

Most families are encouraged not to keep a pair of littermates, whatever their gender. You are suggesting keeping six and keeping them intact until the growth plates close. That is incredibly foolish, whether you like it or not.

There is not one experienced person, breeder, trainer, dog person who would condone that.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Well my post didn't ask for opinions, advice, or approval. So post what you will.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Will do. What you are doing is a mistake. Unless you are prepared to keeping all of them in separate kennels (not crates) most of the time it is huge mistake.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry I agree with selzer, you are making a huge mistake. Be prepared for a lot of dog fights and expensive vet bills.
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.