Leaving our pup behind for the first time... advice please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leaving our pup behind for the first time... advice please!

Hi all,

My husband and I are going out of town over Labor Day weekend (leaving Thurs. afternoon, returning Monday morning). Unfortunately I don't think it's at all possible to bring our pup with us. We have a couple of options, but I honestly can't decide what's best, for Abbey (our pup)! Options are as follows:

1. She can stay with my sister and her family, who have been around her a lot, and absolutely adore her. They also have a German Shepherd (6 yrs. old, female), who Abbey gets along with GREAT. They play well together, and just seem to really enjoy each other's company. My sister also has two kids (11 and 15), who also love to play with Abbey - point is, I know she'd be in good hands, and would have plenty to keep her busy.

2. Or... my very close friend's daughter, who is 20, could come and stay at our house with Abbey while we're gone. I trust her completely - and this way, Abbey could stay in her own home... but... my friend's daughter doesn't have much experience with puppies (she loves them, of course!), but she's never raised one, so I'm not sure that she would know how to handle her in certain situations (she can be a handful!). But again, I trust her completely and I'm sure everything would be fine.

Any input on this? To provide some background in case it matters: as of Labor Day weekend, we will have had Abbey for about 3 months, and she will be about 5 months old at that time. She's never been away from us (except while we're at work). I'm very concerned about separation anxiety, and I just don't know what to do!
magster33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

First option seems better, more experienced and more fun and more safe

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with the first option

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd go with the first option too.
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I vote #1! Your sister has GSD experience and context on your pup. Best option no doubt!
joneser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all; that's what I was leaning towards... but I had read somewhere that it's better if the pup stays in their own home - so I was kinda torn. Plus I was nervous leaving her somewhere she's never been (they always come to our house; we've never taken her to their place) - I'm thinking she can have a sleepover at their house, maybe the weekend before we leave, for a "practice run"? And so that she'll learn that we will come back for her?

Also, do you think she'll be traumatized by this?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

If there old female GSD is well socialized with your dog , then there will be absolutely no problem at all!
And bare in mind that your sister is more experienced and she would know what to do in most cases unlike your friend's daughter

And you can try a sleep over its your option thought but would be abit useless I had a golden retriver stay with me for 5 days as his owners had to go on holiday, he was all fine and when he was back he acted as if nothing happened so don't worry

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxil View Post
If there old female GSD is well socialized with your dog , then there will be absolutely no problem at all!
And bare in mind that your sister is more experienced and she would know what to do in most cases unlike your friend's daughter

And you can try a sleep over its your option thought but would be abit useless I had a golden retriver stay with me for 5 days as his owners had to go on holiday, he was all fine and when he was back he acted as if nothing happened so don't worry
Thanks, Maxil, and to everyone who responded! I think, it might even be harder on me than her... lol. I REALLY don't want to leave her, but it's a family obligation and I don't have much choice about this trip. I've just been stressing about it so much, because she's never been without us, and I'm so worried she'll feel like we abandoned her. But you're right, Maxil, I probably shouldn't worry so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.