German Shepherds Forum banner

Welcome to the Dog World!

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  lalachka 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gee wiz I am kind of in a state of shock here. :eek:

I was in contact with a breeder because they were selling Julius K9 training gear and equipment as I was interested in the harnesses/side-bags and a hoodie. We were discussing possible sizes for the harnesses when my pup eventually reaches his adult size and the breeder asked where I got the pup from. I gladly told them, thinking that there's no harm in saying so and then the breeder emails me back saying:

"I owned the sire. Not a very good dog. Be careful."

A bit miffed, I emailed back: "Thanks for letting me know. What's not good about him?"

Then the breeder gave me a long email apologizing to me that they did not mean to knock back my puppy, saying that they once owned the sire and that he was not breed worthy, a very average working dog with low drives, thin nerves etc. They also owned the sire's brother who was a superstar. They also said that my breeder was being dishonest and was trying to make as though their litter was a super litter to unsuspecting buyers because they were related to the the breeder I was talking to at the moment. My breeder is apparently a xxxxxxx artist. Then the breeder said welcome to the dog world!

I don't know whether I should believe this or not. :shrug: But really! Is the dog world really like this where people are dishonest and bash on one another? It sounds like a nasty place! I can't believe that some people knowingly rip people off, knowingly misrepresent what their dogs are, say wonderful false things, all for a quick buck??? Whatever happened to the good of the breed and matching a pup to the right home for the good life of the puppy. Just scoundrel.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like some personal issues in the works. :) Good breeders don't bash other breeders. Seems pretty petty to me.

Even if the sire was not world-level working dog caliber, I'm sure your pup will be just fine for your purposes and will make a great dog for you to do most anything you would like to try with him.

#4 ·
Most good breeders aren’t going to bash each other…but I wouldn’t consider what that breeder sent to you as bashing. The breeder is giving you what sounds to be an honest opinion about the sire. Not sure what the sire’s titles/accomplishments are…but in most cases, when an untitled dog gets sold/rehomed, it’s more for a negative reason than for a good one. Most breeders aren’t going to be selling their good stock to others when it could be used to breed.

A lot of breeders will not lie to potential owners, but they’ll embellish the truth. At the end of the day, 95% of buyers have no idea what they’re looking at. They see a nice, calm dog (sire/dam) maybe do a bit of obedience, maybe show some protection, and are very impressed. The breeder talks a little about what all that means, how their dogs are better than others, and they make a sale. Unless that dog ends up having huge temperament issues (uncontrolled aggression) or a terrible genetic disease of some sort…the buyer is going to be very happy. It doesn’t have to be the ultimate world champion working dog, it just has to be a good dog.

#5 ·
to me some things in your original thread didn't sound right. so I'd believe this guy. but i guess you wait and see. I have a dog from a puppy mill. he's amazing.

that whole police dog thing is way overplayed. sounds like a sales gimmick when there's nothing else to brag about. just my uneducated opinion as usual

#6 ·
Yeah, not sure if it's exactly bashing or not but this is what was said.

'hi
first let me apologize. I wasn’t trying to knock your puppy. sorry.
to clarify;
I owned (SIRE) and sold him as he is a very average working dog, low drive, thin nerve. in my opinion not breed worthy. however a very nice family pet.
to quantify;
I owned and trained (SIRE)'s brother (BROTHER), who is now a mwd. that dog is a superstar.
I've worked most dogs from (SIRE)'s litter as well as his mother. and multiple other dogs that she has produced. (SIRE) wouldnt rank in my top 10 dogs shes produced.
(SIRE) was bred by my good friend.
so my opinion of (SIRE) is a true one.
lastly, I also owned trained and sold (DAM)'s litter brother, now pd sert.
I had several people contact me re (SIRE)'s litter, as they stated that litter was allegedly being spruked as a super litter coz (SIRE) is (BROTHER)'s brother and (DAM) is pd sert sister.
in fact, only 2 mths ago (SIRE) was for sale coz (MY BREEDER) said he was indeed a very average dog.
I don’t like breeders who bull**** unsuspecting buyers. but note all of the above is just my opinion.
welcome to the dog world!!
I am just pointing out facts that u may or may not wish to know. I hope I didn’t offend, but my opinion of working dogs is highly respected and I believe people shouldn’t be sold the dream in order for a breeder to make money.
cheers"

I edited out the identities and replaced with the capitols surrounded by brackets. But this is word for word. :shrug:

#8 · (Edited)
Anyone who uses u instead of you and coz instead of because wouldn't be highly respected in my books, but I'm fairly... picky.

Keep in mind, however, while maybe your breeder could be questionable, this new breeder you are speaking with is in competition with your pup's breeder. Therefor, I'd immediately question his trustworthiness unless I've seen proof otherwise. Everyone else here is perfectly right though, your dog is in no way devalued. You will do great things with him and love him all the same.

#7 ·
Look at the dog in front of you.

Work with the dog in front of you.

If the brother was a superstar -- per them, the genes are there.

I would not necessarily believe them. Do not allow what they said to affect how you view your puppy. It is possible that they have personal or professional issues with the current owner of the dog, and are getting back at them in a mean way.

Yes, dog people can be as crazy as, or crazier than the rest of humanity.

#11 ·
Hmm, that's what I was thinking. If the sire is the full brother to this person's dog then he shouldn't be that bad, right? :confused: My pup can't be that bad, hopefully, he seems to be getting a little more confident with each day at least. How or when can you tell a dog's true character anyway?

Anyone who uses u instead of you and coz instead of because wouldn't be highly respected in my books, but I'm fairly... picky.
Haha, I think the person must have been texting or something. :p

#9 ·
yeah, that's why I said I have a puppy mill dog who's amazing. it's not just my opinion. I haven't heard one bad thing about him and heard many good ones, from trainers too.

you might very well end up with a good dog. but your breeder still sounds like a bs artist and I thought so before I saw your post here.

#12 ·
Wasn't you last post about negotiating with this breeder because he's all the sudden dropped the prices on some of the litter? Also advertises some of them as meant for police departments/military while others aren't?

After knowing these two things...I'd be worried about the person. Just some weird practices that scream "marketing" to me without much to back it up.

#16 ·
Yeah, true that. Pity I didn't notice this stuff before I payed for the pup. :( I really thought I did all the right things - I talked to the breeder, was very specific in what I told them I wanted, I let the breeder pick for me, because I thought they knew the pups best, I even went I talked to other people who bought pups off them!

The breeder also gave me the impression that this litter was super popular so I needed to pay up pretty quickly. Well, there's still a few left there for sale and prices dropped. Gah, I just can't believe that I chose wrong! I really wanted to support a great breeder.

I wouldn't dwell on any of this. Who cares what this breeder and that breeder said. You have your puppy, and selzer gave the best response: work with the dog you have. Nit-picky "my dog is better than your dog" arguments won't change anything.

And please people, stop posting personal emails, even is your remove the identifying info. It never ends well. :(
I apologize if it was wrong of me to post that email. I would have disregarded the email but it's hard not to because some of it rings true. I may sound as though I am being overly critical but I am pretty sure that this pup is not as brave as my last dog, which was not impressed upon me that it was exceptional with super nerves, easily trained, high drives and all that yada. My last dog was from pet lines and I knew what I was getting. But the pup I've got now, I have to admit he's not what I expected I told the breeder what I wanted. But yeah, I guess there's not much I can do now. :shrug:

If the dog was substandard and not breed worthy why didn't the breeder who you are discussing this with neuter him and find an active pet home for the dog? So he/she sold the dog and made money off of it and *then* knock it?

Eh. This is not just the dog world, the horse world is equally crazy. Those 'in the business' can be highly competitive in show and sport and often talk behind each other's back. A few good ones out there mind their own business but quite a few engage in a good bit of politics.
Good point. I wonder why they didn't neuter the dog. :confused: All this dog world stuff is giving me a head ache. And to think I kind of wanted to get into it, thinking it would be awesome working with great dogs and talking to all the dog owners/breeders. :headbang:

#13 ·
I wouldn't dwell on any of this. Who cares what this breeder and that breeder said. You have your puppy, and selzer gave the best response: work with the dog you have. Nit-picky "my dog is better than your dog" arguments won't change anything.

And please people, stop posting personal emails, even is your remove the identifying info. It never ends well. :(

#14 · (Edited)
If the dog was substandard and not breed worthy why didn't the breeder who you are discussing this with neuter him and find an active pet home for the dog? So he/she sold the dog and made money off of it and *then* knock it?

Eh. This is not just the dog world, the horse world is equally crazy. Those 'in the business' can be highly competitive in show and sport and often talk behind each other's back. A few good ones out there mind their own business but quite a few engage in a good bit of politics.

#18 ·
I hope he does turn out to be a great dog but now the thought has been planted into my head. I'm afraid that if he does not turn out into the kind of dog that I specifically wanted then I am probably going to be critical of him and will be forever yearning for something else. I have to knock it out of my head! :hammer: It takes a while for me to get a real kind of love attachment to things. I know it's not the pup's fault that he came from a questionable breeder. It's my fault for going with that breeder.

#19 ·
I get the impression you are just looking for reasons to find fault with your pup? This is YOUR puppy now. All this stuff you keep bringing up is but politics and drama having to do with people, and nothing with your pup.

Doesn't matter where the pup is from, how he started out, who his parents are, what the ethics of the breeder were. You made your choice, you have the pup, the rest of it is up to you. The dog will be what he is, and you can give him the best possible start by raising him as if he was a superstar. EVERY dog should be made to feel that they are the best dog in the whole wide world, that their family/owner is thrilled beyond belief to have them, and fell loved unconditionally, the way they love us.

He's just a pup - NONE of this is his fault. There was nothing in the videos you posted or the pedigree or the prev. discussions you had with the breeder that raised any red flags, so not sure why you are trying so hard to find fault with him now.

So no more excuses - get out there and have fun with him, that's an order! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.