Rash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Rash?

Rambo is now 4 months old and he just developed a rash on his belly. They look kind of like pimples. He's pretty itchy too. I've checked him many many times and no fleas.
I just gave him a bath with an oatmeal shampoo so he's all wet in the pictures. He has a vet appointment on wednesday but I'm pretty worried. What does this look like? He's losing his puppy fur now so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I feel so bad for him [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Has he been in any tall/seeding grass recently? His stomach looks like one of my beagles' did after she developed her grass allergy. The vet gave us a hydrocortisone spray to use and told us to wipe down her belly and legs with a wet towel after every time she was in tall grass.
kburrow11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

My pup is going on week 13 and had something that looked exactly like that (just not as many spots). Looked like pimples to me and did not bother him when i tried to pop a few, they seemed to go away on their own. Curious to find out what it was.
odins_raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

It looks like an allergic rash to me as well. Something I have experience with. What happens is the skin get irritated which allows the bacteria etc to flourish.

Avoid the situation or wipe off when exposed if you can but it is probably a good idea to talk to your vet about allergy pills. Mine said something along the lines of:
In her experience all dogs tolerate Benadryl well, but Benadryl doesn't always work but it is a great place to start. If it doesn't work, slowly work your way though the human allergy pills. Odds are one of those will work.
We also found that the occasional course of antibiotics was our only answer. It helps the body get the upper hand even in the face of continuous exposure.

Good Luck!!
BrandyGalos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pimples could be staph as well.

David Winners

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
Pimples could be staph as well.

David Winners
I was thinking the same thing. Our pup has this. It's called Pyoderma.

Here is a link
Staph Infection in Dogs | Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment | VCA Animal Hospitals

We had to treat with oral antibiotics which greatly reduced the pimples and itching.

We also gave him regular baths (twice a week then down to once a week) with a special shampoo (Pyoben) that the vet recommended. You need to leave the shampoo in for 10-15 minutes but it seemed to give my pup immediate relief and he didn't mind sitting there. Leaving it in for only 5 minutes didn't work nearly as well so be patient.

Since finishing the antibiotics it has returned a little bit. We have returned to the baths but also started using antibacterial wipes on his belly which seems to help keep them coming back.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwedd18 View Post
Rambo is now 4 months old and he just developed a rash on his belly. They look kind of like pimples. He's pretty itchy too. I've checked him many many times and no fleas.
I just gave him a bath with an oatmeal shampoo so he's all wet in the pictures. He has a vet appointment on wednesday but I'm pretty worried. What does this look like? He's losing his puppy fur now so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I feel so bad for him [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Looks a lot like puppy pyoderma. I would have a vet check so you can get the proper antibiotics
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwedd18 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Dont worry too much. Its something that can be cured. Once he is on antibiotics it will clear right up! my dog Zeus had it at the same age.
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.