Puppy testicle didnt descend - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Puppy testicle didnt descend

Hey guys i was reading the kennel von lotta webpage and i see they sometime sell the puppies $1500- $3000 for one of the reason is the testicle did not descent ... What does it mean ? Cause they normal price is 2500-5000 and thats a little to high for me at the same time i would want a puppy that is not healthy .
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

The dog will need to be neutered if testicle did not descend and it can cost more to do the procedure. I had a dog years ago with this condition and he had a terrible (heartbreaking) immune system. I don't know if there was a connection.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I mean i wouldnt want a puppy that is not healthy
Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

It isn't a problem. You'll definitely want to neuter b/c the undescended testicle can become cancerous. If you're not planning to breed, it is nothing to worry about. The vet may charge a little extra to remove that one; shouldn't be more than $50. One of my dogs was double cryptic (that's what they call it) so both of his were in his belly. He's perfectly healthy! The vet recommended that I give him till around 9 months of age to see if they'll drop. They didn't, so for an extra $25 they removed them from his abdomen.

I would think that the reduced cost may be b/c to some people the dog isn't worth as much. Some like for their working dogs to remain intact. And breeding is obvious. The cryptic means just that- lifeless, sterile.
A girl and her dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl and her dog View Post
It isn't a problem. You'll definitely want to neuter b/c the undescended testicle can become cancerous. If you're not planning to breed, it is nothing to worry about. The vet may charge a little extra to remove that one; shouldn't be more than $50. One of my dogs was double cryptic (that's what they call it) so both of his were in his belly. He's perfectly healthy! The vet recommended that I give him till around 9 months of age to see if they'll drop. They didn't, so for an extra $25 they removed them from his abdomen.

I would think that the reduced cost may be b/c to some people the dog isn't worth as much. Some like for their working dogs to remain intact. And breeding is obvious. The cryptic means just that- lifeless, sterile.
Can i wait till 12-18 months ? cause i heard something like it will cause health problem when dogs neutered too young but it seems like in this case i cant wait either.. so isnt it a dilemma ?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog was discounted because the testicle did not descend. We neutered him at 13 months. It was about $400.00 to have him neutered.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
Can i wait till 12-18 months ? cause i heard something like it will cause health problem when dogs neutered too young but it seems like in this case i cant wait either.. so isnt it a dilemma ?
You can wait until 18-24 months to neuter.

My Vet recommended that I neuter my Dal at 18 months, he said that he wouldn't wait any longer than that because the ball that didn't drop can become hot inside the abdomen and cause other issues.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Hm okay thanks guys
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I forgot to mention that my Dal is very healthy, very happy, social, fun, friendly, loving and entertaining. He doesn't let his one ball affect his life.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They say that the retained testicle is actually not more prone to cancer, but detecting it in time, if it is retained is the problem. It should be no problem to wait until 24 months. Also, it still can drop into place. I would just wait and see. If it is still retained at two years neuter.

The only problem with retained testicles is that the condition is genetic, so the animal should not be bred as this is a disqualifying conformation fault that will be passed on. If you are not intending to breed the dog, then it should not prevent you from purchasing the puppy.

Yes, the neuter can cost a little more. As they are discounting the price, that's a wash.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.