3 month old and jumping? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 month old and jumping?

So, Atticus just turned 3 months old today! I just have a question about a way to correct jumping at this age and what method has worked best for you? I've heard turning your back to them, but does it actually work? It doesn't seem to be making a dent in it. He's on leash in the house and is easy to correct there with a slight tug on the leash. He's really good at not jumping on me, my boyfriend or roommate, but all heck breaks loose when it's someone he isn't with almost everyday or someone he doesn't know at all. ESPECIALLY with children. Even if they are just walking past, he tries to jump from 5 or 10 feet away. He has completely stopped biting the people he is familiar with, with a simple "no bite" but anyone new and he is full blown piranha mode with barking included.
I realize these are normal puppy behaviors but some suggestions on the best ways to curb the behaviors would be awesome! I'd like to have a handle on it before he gets 40 or 50 pounds. what has worked best for you and your dog at this age? Should I allow him around children? At least close enough to pet? I don't have any friends with children so I don't know how else to socialize him with little humans other than the park, restaurant patios and outdoor shopping malls. What's the best way for him and them to get to know each other with no jumping/biting? We haven't ran into a child/parent yet that hasn't asked for my consent and will also wait for me to give him his sit command. All of his experiences with people have been incredible (knock on wood). He LOVES them, but maybe a little too much.

Also, I have read a lot into prong collars and know how to fit and use them properly. I have also seen people use them on puppies this age. I understand 4 months, 3 months however sounds early. Maybe I'm wrong, so thoughts?
Here's the piranha himself, 3 months and 31 pounds! Getting bigger and darker every morning!
Attached Thumbnails
3 month old and jumping?-image.jpg  

Last edited by sarahp; 08-01-2014 at 08:45 PM.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Instead of correcting and punishing him for being bad (which for a young pup tends to add to the excitement and willingness to jump rather than discouraging it...).

Much better to TEACH and alternate behavior you can REWARD the pup for. 'Sit' tends to be one that works well.

First, how are you doing on all of ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Then some good sites are:

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I agree with MR - rather than correcting him for jumping, train him appropriate greeting behavior. Train him what TO do, and you'll have to spend much less time training him what NOT to do. If he's sitting for greetings he can't also be jumping.

One way to teach this is to not allow anyone to approach unless he's sitting. If at any point he breaks the sit, the person must stop. Wait for the sit again, and let them continue approaching. If he's too excited, have them back up so they're even further away - he gets penalty yards. It's basically a game of "red light, green light". You'll need willing participants to work on this, but you can start with friends, family or neighbors, and then move onto strangers. People will often spend a few minutes helping you train your puppy if you simply ask.

If he's too excited around kids I wouldn't let them get close enough to pet him for now. Just being exposed to new people/places/things is socialization, he doesn't necessarily need to actually interact with all the new things. In fact, some people like to use those new experiences as a cue for the puppy to interact with them instead of the other person.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, off the subject, but-- what a cutie. hehe
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
njk

Turning our backs and ignoring our girl helped with her jumping. We just have to tell new people in advance to do it too. We ignore until she stops and sits, and then we turn around and praise her. So she knows sitting next to a person gets her reward instead of jumping on them.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.